Solved CPU1 running at 98% Constantly.....CPU2 running at 15% varying with load

Solved issue
@MikeWalsh

G'day Mike, good of you to drop in.

Yes, it is just the 2 cores...all on their own.
It has done a mighty job for the past 7/8 years or so...and despite changes from one mint to the next via fresh installs, I have had the nagging feeling, recently, that it is getting a bit tired....but as you say, that would likely be "modern, high-demand software, which is crammed with very 'lazy' coding that uses far more processes than it really needs to."

It is slightly crazy that I am considering reverting to a processor as old as the one I already have to keep up ! However, that seems to be the way forward, especially when dollars are not as easy to come by as they were 7+ years ago.

As I look around the various second hand marketplaces, I note that the i7 6700's are reaching approx a third of what they were fetching when new....such is the demand. Lesser processors of around the same vintage are only reaching approx half as much as the i7

For the time being, I will stick with what I have. Both the dollars and the timing will present themselves when they are ready.

"modern, high-demand software, which is crammed with very 'lazy' coding that uses far more processes than it really needs to."@MikeWalsh

G'day Mike, good of you to drop in.

Yes, it is just the 2 cores...all on their own.
It has done a mighty job for the past 7/8 years or so...and despite changes from one mint to the next via fresh installs, I have had the nagging feeling, recently, that it is getting a bit tired....but as you say, that would likely be "modern, high-demand software, which is crammed with very 'lazy' coding that uses far more processes than it really needs to."

It is slightly crazy that I am considering reverting to a processor as old as the one I already have to keep up ! However, that seems to be the way forward, especially when dollars are not as easy to come by as they were 7+ years ago.
Here's what I say and you probably won't like it however I know you can handle it and perhaps may agree or not so here it is.

If I can run Ubuntu 20.04 the biggest resource hog of Linux on my 2010 outdated 2 core processor and only 4.0 GB of ram specs are below.

Code:
Dell-OptiPlex-380@Dell-OptiPlex-380:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Kernel: 5.15.0-53-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A Desktop: Gnome 3.36.9
           Distro: Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS (Focal Fossa)
Machine:   Type: Desktop System: Dell product: OptiPlex 380 v: N/A serial: <filter>
           Mobo: Dell model: 0HN7XN v: A01 serial: <filter> BIOS: Dell v: A02 date: 08/27/2010
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Penryn rev: A
           L2 cache: 3072 KiB
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 11703
           Speed: 1812 MHz min/max: 1600/2933 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1857 2: 1857
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel
           bus ID: 00:02.0
           Display: wayland server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: i915 resolution: 1024x768~75Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel G41 (ELK) v: 2.1 Mesa 21.2.6 direct render: Yes
Audio:     Device-1: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel
           v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.15.0-53-generic
Network:   Device-1: Broadcom and subsidiaries NetLink BCM57780 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe vendor: Dell
           driver: tg3 v: kernel port: ece0 bus ID: 02:00.0
           IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 149.05 GiB used: 13.12 GiB (8.8%)
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Fujitsu model: MHW2160BH PL size: 149.05 GiB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 145.16 GiB used: 13.12 GiB (9.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 41.0 C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:      Processes: 183 Uptime: 14m Memory: 3.73 GiB used: 1.37 GiB (36.6%) Init: systemd
           runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.4.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.17 inxi: 3.0.38
Dell-OptiPlex-380@Dell-OptiPlex-380:~$

You should be able to run Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon or your computer with its 2 core processor and 16.0 GB of ram without issues.

Nothing wrong with the hardware in your computer perhaps it's time to choose a different Linux distro then the one you are using.

Perhaps the latest Linux Mint 21.1 release has some of that and I quote

"modern, high-demand software, which is crammed with very 'lazy' coding that uses far more processes than it really needs to."

I have a lot of complaints with certain new Linux releases and how they have changed and don't like some of them.

I'm not trying to instigate any argument with you about the Linux distro being used.

I just don't buy into all of this I need newer hardware aka new computer crapola.

No offense intended to anyone.

I use old computers because I choose to and I'm a cheap old bastard. :p

My 2bits.

Last edited by a moderator:
....Save it to a usb (fat32) and then boot to that usb...??

In some cases, yes. I don't know about your case, but it's definitely worth trying.

I have a lot of complaints with certain new Linux releases and how they have changed and don't like some of them.

I'll take this *partially* off-topic to agree with you and add to it. I think it's a valid bit of history and a statement about current processes.

We wrote tight code back in the day - because we had to.

Modern computers have 'ample' resources - and many developers assume your computer has ample resources to run their application.

Back in the day, we worked with 'nibs' at times, especially with assembly. A 'nib' (or nibble) is just a part of a byte. (For the record, there are 8 bits per byte and a 'bit' is considered one of the smallest things you can work with while programming in a higher language - including ye olde BASIC, COBOL, or FORTRAN. You edited your code carefully, trying to minimize our footprint.

Today's developers have it easy.

I employed smart people. By the year 2000, we were already working with databases that reached a full TB in size, and this took racks and racks of servers - with many servers just to run a clustered database.

Today, you can do all that on your desktop. Today, a lot of what I pioneered is not much more than a plugin in traffic modeling software. Today's developers no longer give a crap about how much they impact your system. (That's a blanket statement, there are many who do their best.)

So, we have bloated software...

To be completely open, I use a lot of bloated software that probably doesn't need to be nearly as bloated as it is to do what the software does. I don't aim for the leanest system, I aim for the system that works best for my needs and buy hardware accordingly.

@Bartman, now all of that makes for an interesting read.

I'm not trying to instigate any argument with you about the Linux distro being used.
I just don't buy into all of this I need newer hardware aka new computer crapola.
I appreciate your straightforward look at this situation.
I am not thinking of anything new.....never !(unless I win a lottery !...and maybe not even then.)

The i7 6700 was made in the same year that my current cpu was made....approx 2015
My gut instinct tells me that lord boltar is correct...as well as the obvious "interrupt" problems which I was having (and are now fixed) there remains a 'difference' in the behaviour of my pc.
Bear in mind I have been using this pc since before 2015....I initially put an ssd in it and the followed that with an M.2 not so long ago.
Both bought about a response...a good one !.....the speed increased big time. That was my aim...to increase the speed/response time. I am an impatient bugger at times.
However, the cpu thing is not something I watch.....barely ever in fact. Lately I have been keeping an eye on it....much the same as I would keep an eye on a car or mower/brushcutter that has changed its "usual sounds/performance"
I repaired small engines for 49 years, so I have an "ear" for these things/changes.
There is definately a change.

Replacing the cpu will give the pc the ability to 'keep up"....without an anormous expense. I am not exactly flush with cash and I am a tight fisted bastard at the best of times (necessity)....but given a little time I will come up with 120 aud, and do the fitting myself.

I am currently running the latest and greatest Linux Mint 21.1 Yes I do notice an increasing growl from within the pc after upgrading to it. Mike Walsh hit the nail on the head when he spoke of lazy coding. Looking at you, Linux Mint Cinnamon.

No arguments here mate. I appreciate your input. Gives me the opportunity to think a little more.

@KGIII's post above this, make incredibly good sense.

I will sit patiently awaiting any response from @dos2unix or @Lord Boltar or @osprey ...or in fact anyone who can weigh in to the few different areas I have opened up. Specifically, opinions as to how to go about updating the bios on this motherboard (asrock B150m pro4), any pitfalls regarding 'upgrading' to an i7 6700K, etc etc

....Save it to a usb (fat32) and then boot to that usb...??
In some cases, yes. I don't know about your case, but it's definitely worth trying.

So does that involve making the zip file bootable....maybe..?

So does that involve making the zip file bootable....maybe..?

Nope. Just put the .exe file (or .zip) onto the USB and boot to it.

If it doesn't work and it's a .zip - extract the files, put 'em on a USB, and boot to the USB.

If the BIOS is gonna recognize it, it's gonna recognize it. There's no special boot flag for it or anything.

How 'windowsesque' !

It's a dev thing. They don't have the time to continually optimize their code for the best resources. They're also doing things like using external libraries and all that jazz. So, it is what it is. There are tiny Linux desktops that are absurdly fast (but they're kinda ugly, probably limited in features, and it won't matter too much once you start opening all the programs you need).

If you want some fun, play with this bad boy:

LOL try it in a VM if you want. Or just boot to it to amuse yourself. Grab "CorePlus" if you want. It's under 200 MB. That's easily downloaded even at my house!

@Condobloke

I forgot about the upgrades of the SSD and M.2 drive.

Would make sense to upgrade from a dual core processor to a quad core processor.

I finally got the gist of updating the BIOS, thanks to some timely input from @f33dm3bits

No problems all went smoothly
The one in blue was the first.......and then the one in red I did shortly after

I jumped from 1.7 to 7.3 and in so doing I skipped over 5 updates

1.7 Update 25th January 2016
1. Update microcode to 0x74.
2. Improve DRAM compatibility.

7.3 Update 13th March 2018
Update Skylake CPU Microcode to revision C2 and Kabylake CPU Microcode to revision 84. (For CPU security update)

Quite simple to do, but I still held my breath.

Process: downloaded the update from :https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B150M Pro4/#BIOS ....to my desktop

Formatted a usb stick to fat 32
Extracted the files from the download to an empty folder on desktop
Dragged and dropped the files only to the usb stick

Rebooted....F2 to enter bios......clicked on 'Instant Flash' (this is a asrock 'thing')

It instantly recognised the files being present (on the usb)
Clicked on Yes to do the update
Then sat back and touched nothing and prayed there was not a power outage in the coming 5 minutes !

The pc rebooted twice during the process. Again i did not interrupt

A few minutes later it rebooted....this time to the desktop.

Finished.

Success.

I then rebooted again and looked in the bios and sure enough the 7.3 update has taken and is reflected in the bios info.

Last edited by a moderator:
See?!? I told you that you wouldn't need Windows. LOL

And your text is just screwy on the dark theme. You made some of the text black. The right-most three dot menu might help sort it out - it removes 'formatting' - which I think includes text color.

See?!? I told you that you wouldn't need Windows. LOL
oddly enough when this issue raised its ugly head quite a few months ago, nobody said a word.

my text?....i have no idea which setting would control that in brave browser.

Did you cut and paste something? Did you change the text color and then change it to black?

And, I don't recall reading your post some months ago. If I had, we'd have had this discussion already! Or, I'd have expected someone else to answer. I do that fairly often. I'm like "Oh, I don't have to answer that one. So-And-So will answer it."

There were a couple of copy & pastes from the asrock website....specifically...:

1.7 Update 25th January 2016
1. Update microcode to 0x74. blue
2. Improve DRAM compatibility.

7.3 Update 13th March 2018
Update Skylake CPU Microcode to revision C2 and Kabylake CPU Microcode to revision 84. (For CPU security update) Red

and I did change text colour (the top one here is blue and the second one is red ....so of course I then changed those colours back to black to continue with ordinary text.

I got ya covered. I edited it, specifically the black text. I let the rest remain. I used the option I mentioned - remove formatting.

Anyhow, the important question:

Did updating your BIOS help?

The 7.3 update is probably for Spectre and Meltdown patch. That'll actually slow you down a little bit, so I understand. You won't notice it, probably.

Thanks for that....I see no difference here, but no doubt you do because you use a dark background?

Updating my bios is something I did in preparation for when I get myself an i7 6700 processor.

I am not absolutely certain it will make a difference in that regard, but at least it is as up to date as it can be

I don't notice any tick either way in performance.....the pc is running like a dream after stopping that "interrupt"

I think it will have added to the security aspect somewhat.

Whatever...all good

Onward and upward

The right-most three dot menu might help sort it out - it removes 'formatting' - which I think includes text color.
The mind is a bit fuzzy again this morning...lots on my mind (not pc related)....so I missed that

Apologies., and Thank You.

The mind is a bit fuzzy again this morning...lots on my mind (not pc related)....so I missed that

Apologies., and Thank You.

All good and now you know...

And, yeah, it only showed up poorly 'cause I use the forum's dark theme.

If I don't use the dark theme, it scalds my eyes!

If I don't use the dark theme, it scalds my eyes!
ouch !
Is there a "glasses" addition that will remedy that ?
Lenses with BlueReflect Digital Light Protection reflect harmful high-energy visible (HEV) artificial blue light emitted by digital devices to reduce glare and prevent eye fatigue. FramesDirect.com’s Premium Lens package offers precision-engineered blue light lens coatings that can deflect a significant portion of harmful blue/violet light, leaving your eyes fresh even after a long day at the office. This lens option also provides scratch-resistant and anti-glare properties. You don't need a glasses prescription to enjoy this protection: We can add a digital light protection coating to non-prescription lenses, also called ‘plano’ lenses. Harmful blue light: up to 455nm with the greatest toxicity between 415-455nm, only one contributing factor of retinal aging.

Is there a "glasses" addition that will remedy that ?

That's with glasses.

I like to do my computing in a dark room. Even in my study, I have long, thick curtains to keep it dark in there. So, white/bright websites hurt my eyes. Even letting ads through is annoying and means I'm frequently refocusing. (Ads don't care about the dark theme, though Dark Reader helps a little.)

I use a dark theme where ever possible. I also use an extension that does its best to turn sites dark.

These eyeballs are old and have seen a lot. It'd probably help if I had a light or two on, but I seldom do. I've always preferred computing in the dark, especially if I'm writing a great deal.

Members online

Latest posts