Best linux distribution for beginners

SpareEnderboy

Reaction score
Credits
Wubuntu (aka Windows Ubuntu) is a great distrobution for beginners.
You can choose between Windows 11 (KDE Plasma) or Windows 10 (Cinnamon) if you want one of the Windows OS.
It's based on Ubuntu LTS, which is super stable and can let you do whatever you need.
I'm gonna shut up now and give you the download link for the free version.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/wi...ubuntu-11.4.2-win11-plasma-amd64.iso/download

MOD EDIT: Please see the commentary below before considering this distro as your distro of choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Be aware that there is a 'Free" edition.

To gain further access to the 'full potential' etc etc....will cost you

We have all those nice distributions that are free and open source and you suggesting that Wubuntu

Cinnamon is nicer than any current Windows and it will satisfy anyone who liked Windows 7. It is simpler and snappier, you can have it with any major distribution you like. Thanks Wubuntu but no thanks

The Wubuntu website looks strikingly similar to the LinuxFX website... up to and including having the exact same telephone number on their Contact Us page.

But Wubuntu doesn't acknowledge on their main page that Wine is used to run Windows software. LinuxFX does admit this fact on their main page.

I agree with the others: No thanks. If I wanted to run an OS that looked like Windows, I'd run Windows, and I could run all Windows software, not just some of it.

What is the point! If you want to run windows, run it, if you want to run Linux, then run it, if you want both but not in a multiboot, then put Linux in a VM or use WSL both are FREE and you still have the choice of over 500 desktop builds of Linux.

I'm going to lock this thread pending admin/moderator review.

Thanks to our helpers for digging into this.

I'd advise the OP to not continue posting new threads until some actions are taken with these threads.

After some consideration, the initial post has been edited to tell people that they should read the thread before considering this distro.

I've then unlocked the thread in case folks have more observations about this distro.

I do ask that you not turn it into a 'beating a dead horse' type of situation. When you've said your piece, it will have been recorded for posterity. There's no reason to repeat it.

Other than that, enjoy!

I apologize if this is beating a dead horse, but I found this video after you locked the thread. I think that anyone considering WindowsFX/LinuxFX/Wubuntu should consider this report, even though it is about a year old now. Okay, I'm done. ;)

I see no need for apology @atanere, more comments such as yours will bring into focus the very seriousness of the subject.

Anyone considering distros/OS's such as fx, etc etc.....will scream blue murder when they find their data etc on the dark web and other unsanitary places for all the world to see and use.

I think that anyone considering WindowsFX/LinuxFX/Wubuntu should consider this report, even though it is about a year old now.

That's a good addition to the thread.

They do mention copyright and trademark. MSFT doesn't care about icons and desktop backgrounds. I think they (do/did) specifically allow the use of their desktop backgrounds.

What they bring up that will matter to MSFT (and I know this sounds strange) is the use of their fonts.

You can use a subset of WIndows' fonts. You just need to accept the license and then there's a restrictive use agreement.

Why?

We deal with free fonts, often carefully crafted to be slightly different than proprietary fonts. See, the people who create fonts are crazy.

Also, fonts can be worth a whole lot of money. See, I didn't realize this until I was into my career. In our effort to categorize and quantify all the tangibles in traffic modeling, we had to research signage - and with it came fonts. After all, many signs are useless without fonts. We use a federal standard in the US which has changed a few times, but that's another story.

During this research, I spent time learning about signage. One of the ways I'd learn things would be to take the people out to dinner and ply them with alcohol. This is how I learned they all have portfolios full of fonts and are insanely secretive about them. I suppose "all" is a strong word, but it's pretty close from my observations. They all seem to have a font (or fonts) that they think will make them millions of dollars.

But, I digress...

If there's one thing MSFT is going to take seriously, it'll be using their fonts without a license to do so.

Also, there's a "Helvetica" documentary. After you're done with that, read the Wikipedia page on the font and you'll start to see how much goes into making a font that's worth using. Seriously, don't screw around with the font cabal.

And yes, some fonts are better than other fonts - this is quantifiable, in fact.

One of the ways I'd learn things would be to take the people out to dinner and ply them with alcohol.
b-Zo-Rud6-Imgur.gif

Ubuntu or even CentOS (I started with CentOS) are really good for beginners.

Ubuntu or even CentOS (I started with CentOS) are really good for beginners.
Centos has been discontinued: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CentOS.

There are numerous beginner friendly linux distributions, which an online search will reveal. The one often mentioned is Linux Mint, but as a search will reveal, there are many reasonable opinions.

Linux Mint will arguably give the beginner the better support.

Ubuntu is very easy to install and use, and it comes in many different flavors, all of which are easy to install and use. Edubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu Budgie, Ubuntu Cinnamon, Ubuntu Mate, Ubuntu Studio, Ubuntu Unity, Xubuntu. There are also dozens of Ubuntu variants.

True, but it still exists. It's under CentOS Stream now.
It depends on what is meant here by "it".

One shouldn't be misled by the commonality in the name: Centos.

The Centos of old and the new Centos Stream are different beasts in terms of the purpose of the distros.

Centos was a downstream rebuild of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) which fulfilled the purpose of providing a free clone of an enterprise distro widely used commercially. Commercial interests who wanted Red Hat's support, paid them for a RHEL installation, and others interested in that sort of distro could run it under their own auspices free and unassisted using Centos. Centos Stream, on the other hand, is an upstream version that serves the different purpose of being a testing platform for upcoming RHEL releases, so not only is it no longer a clone of a RHEL distro, but is intentionally more progressive, experimental and broader in concept so that it can test the field and be honed eventually by Red Hat into the RHEL enterprise system they derive from it and sell.

The fact that both Centos and Centos Stream use the same structures and frameworks in the distro, the same filesystems, package managers, configuration systems etc. means that there is great similarity between the two making for ease of transfer from one to the other for users, but that in no way mitigates the degree of difference in purpose and the different approach that will inevitably taken in the development of Centos Stream to fulfil that purpose.

That first post is sneaky! With the way that SourceForge's download system works - that built-in 5-second auto-delay - and the fact the OP has linked direct to the download itself, you're downloading the damn thing before you realize what's going on....

NAUGHTY...!!!

Mike. :mad:

It depends on what is meant here by "it".

One shouldn't be misled by the commonality in the name: Centos.

The Centos of old and the new Centos Stream are different beasts in terms of the purpose of the distros.

Centos was a downstream rebuild of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) which fulfilled the purpose of providing a free clone of an enterprise distro widely used commercially. Commercial interests who wanted Red Hat's support, paid them for a RHEL installation, and others interested in that sort of distro could run it under their own auspices free and unassisted using Centos. Centos Stream, on the other hand, is an upstream version that serves the different purpose of being a testing platform for upcoming RHEL releases, so not only is it no longer a clone of a RHEL distro, but is intentionally more progressive, experimental and broader in concept so that it can test the field and be honed eventually by Red Hat into the RHEL enterprise system they derive from it and sell.

The fact that both Centos and Centos Stream use the same structures and frameworks in the distro, the same filesystems, package managers, configuration systems etc. means that there is great similarity between the two making for ease of transfer from one to the other for users, but that in no way mitigates the degree of difference in purpose and the different approach that will inevitably taken in the development of Centos Stream to fulfil that purpose.
I see, thanks for the info!

Members online

Latest posts