best distro for my specs?

raulguy

Reaction score
Credits
i have an intel celeron n4000 and 4 gb of ram, what distro should i use?

Here are some options:

Please use a search engine beforehand next time. Not making even the most minimum of efforts to ascertain whether your question has been already answered is disrespectful to people, who take time out of their busy lives to help others with problems that other users have with their distros.

You have an entry level machine, from 2018 [or thereabouts] it is capable of running any distribution you choose, However it will not be the fastest for its age,
I recommend you consider either a lightweight or medium weight build, some which may suite include

Light weight,.
Antix
Linux lite

Medium weight..
Peppermint
MX
Mint LMDE6
Debian [with driver pack]

Last edited:
Here are some options:

Please use a search engine beforehand next time. Not making even the most minimum of efforts to ascertain whether your question has been already answered is disrespectful to people, who take time out of their busy lives to help others with problems that other users have with their distros.
Sorry, im new here

Heck, if you're good about not using all your RAM, you can run any distro you want.

We get this same question often. I'll share a link or two...

@raulguy :-

TBH, it all boils down to personal choice at the end of the day.

I'm running a quad-core Pentium 'Gold' @ 3.7 GHz - (9th) Coffee Lake-gen - with 32GB RAM and 5TB+ of storage. I could run absolutely anything I wanted to on here, yet by choice I run one of the lightest distros you can get ('Puppy' Linux), originally intended to keep ancient "clunkers" still useful for a few more years.

Reason? When I started out with Linux, I was running an old "clunker"; an elderly Compaq desktop from 2004, with a dual-core Athlon64 X2 and just 3 GB of DDR1. I ended up running Puppy in order to maximise resources.......and got so used to it - and so handy with it - that I simply couldn't imagine using anything else, even with a brand-new machine (the Compaq died at the start of the pandemic in 2020, and I treated myself to my first-ever brand-new machine, an HP Pavilion desktop).

I like Puppy; I'm used to her, I know what I'm doing with her, and she does everything I've ever asked of her. So I run a kennels of around a dozen of the little darlings.....and couldn't be happier.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

It all comes down to personal preference. You'll need to try-out at least a few, preferably via 'Live' sessions (these let you try the distro out, to see if hardware will 'play nice' under Linux, without touching your current OS).....and only then will you get some idea of what both you AND your machine are happy with. It's a slow process, but it needs to be done; I've never come across anyone yet who's totally satisfied with the very first distro they try, and never, EVER contemplate trying anything else.

BUT.....we're all different. You might be that very first individual. And don't be afraid to ask what may seem to be 'stupid' questions.....the only truly 'stupid' question is the one you don't ask. We were all noobs once, and in exactly the same position as you. :D

(Don't take BigBadBeef's reply too much to heart. He doesn't pull any punches, and speaks his mind. Most of us are too polite to do so..!) :p

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
Sorry, im new here
Yes, well, it does apply to any support forum you will visit in the future. The reason I warned you is because it has been known to levy toxic behavior.

Young fella is only 13, Beef - maybe cut him some slack?

Welcome to linux.org, @raulguy :)

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I can run most distros on a 2GB machine with a 1.2GHz dual core processor, the 'heavy' desktops like KDE & Gnome will be slow, but I tend to use XFCE desktop, else a lightweight Window Manager, such as JWM, IceWM, Fluxbox, etc.

Try running a few 'live' distros that you like from pendrives, or using Ventoy, you can have many on the one pendrive to try out.

(Once installed, these distros will run faster.)

You could go here: https://distrowatch.com/ take a look at some, read the reviews and try from a flash drive those that caught your attention. Also, if you can, upgrade your RAM, add 4GB more, your device (Intel Celeron n4000) max supported RAM is 8GB. And if you haven't got a SSD, get one, and with these 2 hardware upgrades I think you'll have more room to try and test Linux distros until you find the one that suits you best. :)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the suggestion, im gonna look into each one of those

You could go here: https://distrowatch.com/ take a look at some, read the reviews and try from a flash drive those that caught your attention. Also, if you can, upgrade your RAM, add 4GB more, your device (Intel Celeron n4000) max supported RAM is 8GB. And if you haven't got a SSD, get one, and with these 2 hardware upgrades I think you'll have more room to try and test Linux distros until you find the one that suits you best. :)
I sadly cant upgrade the ram, my laptop's ram is soldered, but thx for the suggestion

I sadly cant upgrade the ram, my laptop's ram is soldered, but thx for the suggestion
don't worry, I run several distributions on my now 13 yr old laptop with only 4 gb ram, unless you were hoping to use ram heavy applications [vidio rendering, gaming etc] then you will not need any extra

Crunchbang++ for its low ram usuage uses openbox. Just for something differrent

Last edited:
I will add Sparky Linux not mentioned much but a good candidate - as they have different spins including a minimal one.

Running for the first time the minimal openbox one - nice so far.

Members online