Australia - The Land Down Under

Scottish Reporter and the dangerous Drop Bear...
ashamed0003.gif

Did anyone in Australia ever come across a gentleman called George Koleff of Cobblers Corner, Po Box 82, Pt Noarlunga, South Australia 5167.

he was a master shoe maker but also used to make wooden shoe lasts, from measurements taken from someone's foot. IN the UK there is now only one company that supplies "Shoe lasts:" for hand fabrication of shoes but they are plastic.
I've gone back to dabbling in leather fabrication as a hobby; i made of a pair of wooden shoe lasts, the way george koleff used to do it and my first protype pair of leather shoes. There is a bloke Andrew Reeves doing shoes who commented on my first pair .

1658192188319.png

1658192219995.png

and a related story...
1658192380481.png

Just playing catch up on my reading, this, one of my favourite Threads, and I thought I would post comment on one from above, namely

https://www.linux.org/threads/australia-the-land-down-under.21024/post-165554

This, for accuracy, and not Brian's fault, but the fault of the ABC reporter.

The linked article says, in part,

After more than two years of extensive upgrades, the Sydney Opera House will unveil its world-class concert hall, just in time for the 50th anniversary of the landmark's World Heritage listing.

That is incorrect.

Queen Elizabeth II formally opened the Opera House on 20 October 1973. It did not go to Heritage Listing for over 30 years.

BUT (and Wizard's but always follows close behind him), on UNESCO

The World Heritage Convention was adopted by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) General Conference at its 17th session in Paris on 16 November 1972. The Convention came into force in 1975.

... and this is likely where the error was made by the ABC reporter.

Amongst interesting facts on the Opera House is

Sydney Opera House was added to UNESCO's World Heritage List in 2007

So the Grand Ol' Aussie Oprie has only been Heritage listed for fifteen (15) years.

Cheers

ever anal Wizard ;)

Huh... Even I've heard of that dude and the mystery surrounding his identification, how he died, what the notes meant, etc...

The 5 lines of code are yet to be deciphered

The 5 lines of code are yet to be deciphered

Yeah, I read the article. ;-) LOL

It looks like they suspect it may have something to do with horse racing.

Which leads me to...

I'm too well known and my prints are on file all sorts of times. I also tend to carry identification with me, simply because it's habit to carry my wallet - though I do not always carry a phone.

But, assuming none of those were true, they'd have a heck of a time trying to figure out what was going on if I died suddenly. I've frequently got pockets full of the weirdest of things - including paper with stuff that makes sense to me but would make no sense to anyone else looking at it. I make quick notes to myself that aren't really notes but serve to remind me of something.

Like, if I saw two geese flying north for the season and wanted to tell my wife, I might write down '2GN' That'd be enough for me to remember and the act of writing it down helps solidify it in my memory so that I don't really need the paper at all later on. I always have a pencil and some paper, usually a tiny notebook.

Alas, they'd have no trouble figuring out who I was and deciding my cryptic notes were of no value. I'm pretty easy for 'em to identify.

Foreign Correspondent : ABC iview Foreign Correspondent Australia's leading international affairs program featuring fascinating, in-depth stories from the ABC's unrivalled network

For 30 years, Foreign Correspondent has been Australia's window on the world, helping us to understand other people's lives and, through that, more successfully navigate our own way, as individuals and a nation. It's a gift. Long may it keep giving.

Tragedy and hope for Mathew Brockhurst, a paraplegic cattleman​

Outback in bloom as floodwaters travel hundreds of kilometres into Kati Thanda-Lake Eyre​

1659231605612.png

1659231630568.png

Flooding transforms arid landscapes into rivers teeming with birdlife like pelicans.

1659231695258.png

"Lake Eyre is over 170km north to south. People are absolutely gobsmacked at the sheer size of it.

Australia....you've got to Love it.