Are we suffering attempted DDoS attacks.

74.65 % :oops:

and happier for it, lol

i am smiling that it is back up.....its downtime enabled me to go and cut grass (not my favourite pastime in the middle of summer)

But.....I am confused.

I did a ping before and after....and they both look the same to me.

I can drop them here if you want.

It does appear that there was an extended attack today .. I wasn't on the site during this time, so I can't say firsthand, but here's some graphs during the last 12hrs. Seems pretty aggressive. Again, no worries, let em hit us, we're here.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-11-26 23-53-45.png
    Screenshot from 2023-11-26 23-53-45.png
    256.8 KB · Views: 93
That shows around 6 hours (approx) of downtime.

Whoever put that attack in place will be well please with themselves.....which probably means they will be back

About 6 hours then,

Oops Brian and I crossed beams.

All's well that ends well.

I am leaving...to go shower off accumulated dust and grass

Isn't it springtime where you guys live?

I tried to get into this site around 8:30PM EST. Got a phony page from Cloudflare claiming they took a page out of Internet Archive. It was a great mess, hyperlinks overlaying other hyperlinks. I couldn't use it.

Not phony, I have seen that one before, could be related to the DDoS attack.

Summer in four days time, but off topic.

That page is put up by Cloudflare...it is entitled "never off line'

Taking into account the pages lead nowhere/are unusable, it is just a bit of bs from cloudflare

6 hours down in my part of the world.
t3602.gif

The site was down for me from around 1 pm GMT yesterday. From that point on, I couldn't access the site at all right up till I turned in at around 2.30 am this morning.......just that weird CloudFlare page that didn't do anything, interspersed with regular displays of the 'Bad Gateway' page.

I agree with Brian. If DDOS-ing WAS what it was about, they will be back....

Heigh-ho. That's life on the modern interweb. :rolleyes:

Mike. ;)

I had a couple of blips during the day, but it went off around 17-30 and was still off when I gave up and went to bed

@Brickwizard :-

Y'know, I take the view that the .org domain is summat of a double-edged sword. It's a real "feather in the cap" for a community site of any sort - has the advantage of lending a touch of greater authenticity along the way - but it also attracts more than its fair share of threat actors.

They see the .org handle, immediately think "Ooh! Official site of some kind...." and instantly assume there's money to be made from data theft. And that encourages others.....'cos from what I understand, the malware community is pretty tight-knit, and they have their OWN forums/blogs/discussion groups, etc.

Mike. :rolleyes:

I wasn't on the site during this time, so I can't say firsthand, but here's some graphs during the last 12hrs.

If you want, you can PM me your cell number and I can send you a text whenever there's an outage lasting longer than 10 minutes while I'm here. I obviously can't send you outage notifications if I am not online at the time.

Heck, there's probably a free/cheap uptime monitor that does SMS, or you can use your cell phone's MMS email address. That's something like <phone_number>@myverizon.com or similar.

Taking into account the pages lead nowhere/are unusable, it is just a bit of bs from cloudflare

This site has too much dynamic content for a CDN to really show a useful cache. My Linux site has less dynamic cache, so it's up even when the actual server is down. CF could show the front page, I suppose.

There's only so much that can be done in the real world, at real world prices. It's possible to do a cluster with redundancy, including databases. I don't think that's realistic for us, unless a whole lot of people suddenly start supporting the site financially.

Man, that'd be fun to set up. If we do that, I want to help!

Edit For Those New To This: You can check here for uptime reports:

As this site is behind CF, pings and traceroutes are going to work/look the same, even when the site is actually down.

Heck, there's probably a free/cheap uptime monitor that does SMS, or you can use your cell phone's MMS email address. That's something like <phone_number>@myverizon.com or similar.
I thought that type of thing would be in place via Cloudflare....apparently their service does not extend that far

I don't know about Cloudflare, but on Azure and AWS, it's an additional cost. Well, it's "free" if you have one of the
premium subscription options. ... so it's "free"... right? ;)

Members online