Won't boot knopix from external USB

Lanux44

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all,

I have a Dell Latitude E7450 and I'm attempting to boot Knoppix 8.1 from an external USB drive. I went to Setup and "Boot Sequence" but "USB Storage device" is was not listed. I clicked on "Add Boot Option" and typed in "USB Storage device" as a boot option and prioritized it at the top of the list, but unfortunately, Knoppix still won't boot from the external USB drive.

It has booted no problem on my previous Dell Latitude E7450. That was a UK version, my latest one is a US version.

Be warned, though I do a lot of Latexing, I'm not really clued-up about any other matters.

Device Name: DESKTOP-36O46CF
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5600U CPU @ 2.60GHz (2.59 GHz)
Installed RAM: 8.00 GB (7.88 GB usable)
System Type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Operating System:

Edition: Windows 10 Home
Version: 22H2
OS Build: 19045.4170
Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19054.1000.0

This is what it says on the Boot sequence screen, if it is of any help:
View attachment boot sequence.JPG

for knoppix you may also need to turn off the UEFI and go with legacy in the bios. It was on that screen you showed us. It opens up a whole lot more options.

you will most likely need to turn secure boot and fast boot - scroll down in your BIOS to Secure Boot and make sure it is unchecked
I've disabled Secure Boot but it still won't boot from the external USB drive.

for knoppix you may also need to turn off the UEFI and go with legacy in the bios. It was on that screen you showed us. It opens up a whole lot more options.
I've clicked on the legacy option circle, but it's not being accepted. It won't let me switch to legacy.

How did you write the Knoppix .iso to your USB thumbdrive?

How did you write the Knoppix .iso to your USB thumbdrive?
Are you asking about the process used to create the bootable USB drive? In which case, I bought a USB drive with Knoppix pre-installed.

In which case, I bought a USB drive with Knoppix pre-installed.

Hmm... I wonder if it was a bad write process.

Do you have a spare thumbdrive? If so, you can download the .iso and just use BalenaEtcher to write the image to that.

Hmm... I wonder if it was a bad write process.

Do you have a spare thumbdrive? If so, you can download the .iso and just use BalenaEtcher to write the image to that.
The USB did boot properly on my previous laptop.

guess nobody looked, but they may not have made the USB drive UEFI bootable. CHANGE THE BIOS OPTION FROM UEFI TO LEGACY. Bet it works.

guess nobody looked, but they may not have made the USB drive UEFI bootable. CHANGE THE BIOS OPTION FROM UEFI TO LEGACY. Bet it works.
I've tried clicking on Legacy but the option is unresponsive. It won't let me switch to Legacy.

I've tried clicking on Legacy but the option is unresponsive. It won't let me switch to Legacy.
It will go but if secure boot is enabled then legacy is not available. You must turn off secure boot first. Message should tell you that when you try to turn on legacy.

It will go but if secure boot is enabled then legacy is not available. You must turn off secure boot first. Message should tell you that when you try to turn on legacy.
I've already disabled Secure Boot. Nothing at all happens when I try to click on Legacy

well, I did some research on your laptop. You are not the only person with the same problem. It seems that legacy mode is being obsoleted on many BIOS due to a push from M$. You may be stuck if they shut the option off in the BIOS. You can attempt a BIOS update but I doubt that will fix a problem they intentionally put in.

That said you will have to use a linux distro that supports UEFI and is configured for it. Knoppix may not be best for this. I was surprised Knoppix is still around. It was the first linux I used.

Try downloading a live USB version from www.fedoraproject.org and write it with balena etcher or fedora media writer and it should work.

I learned something new here, legacy mode being removed from systems and in new BIOS updates.

Staff online

Members online