Which device works best with Linux?

Bappy Hossain

Reaction score
Credits
Hi guys,
I'm now operating on an Asus ROG Strix G531GT. For the record, I use Windows. Starting out with a Windows environment. However, I've decided it's time to switch my OS. What I need to do is get Linux onto my gadget. In order to advance in my career, I plan to purchase a new laptop computer. Need to learn Python and do some programming. Because of this, I plan on upgrading my computer. I'm not really sure which model is optimal for running Linux.

As such, I'm looking to get the newest ROG laptop. I was wondering if you might recommend a good laptop for me to use.

So I'm hoping The LINUX Community will give me their finest advice. I appreciate you and also thanks in advance.

:):)

Sometimes brand new computers have devices which haven't been ported to Linux. So, some hardware may not work - with the most likely being things like fancy keyboard settings, like changing the brightness of your keyboard. Other times, it can be a bit more vital - like a wireless adapter that doesn't have the drivers yet.

There's also this:

I find keeping it simple works best. For example, I got an all-Intel laptop not that long ago and everything works out of the box. I haven't ever checked the wireless brand, but that too worked out of the box. It's just a simple on-board graphics chip, nothing fancy. Works like a charm.

Welcome to the forums
Unless you are going to keep Microsoft on your computer, then dont waste your money, look for a 4-6 year old laptop, doesn't matter if it's Intel or AMD, with a minimum 8gb ram, you will be able to install any Linux distribution you like [I don't recomend on;y sugest] it will give you more than enough life to learn your chosen project, Newer bigger faster is not always better

Gaming laptops are often expensive and overheat sometimes. Also, if a laptop comes with a Nvidia GPU it can be difficult to find and learn how to get the driver installed for Linux.

And I have to agree with @Brickwizard , newer, bigger and faster is not always better: indeed.

Like our Moderator, @KGlll said, driver in the Linux kernel may not be supported yet.

Maybe have a look at Tiger Direct or other manufactures that sell laptops refurbished for less.

https://discountelectronics.com/laptops

look for a 4-6 year old laptop, doesn't matter if it's Intel or AMD, with a minimum 8gb ram, you will be able to install any Linux distribution you like
What....!

My 2009 old CAD Box (4GiB), 2009 Hp G60 (3GiB) as well as my 2013 Dell laptop will run any Linux Distro comfortably. Everyday workflow including video editing - no problemo ;) All running NVIDIA graphics using the trouble free standard nouveau mesa driver :cool:

I would recommend a lightweight distro like LXLE or Loc-OS as; - why have slow when you can have fast and efficient..?
The heavy but superb, professional looking Gnome desktop Zorin OS works without issue on the 2013 Dell Latitude laptop...

Members online