What Do YOU Look For in a Desktop Linux? How Do YOU Choose?

Hmm I ain't never been able to configure any OS up in minutes guess I never knew what I wanted.

That's what I like about Puppy the best is that if I screw something up and I will than I don't have to save it and a reboot gives me a brand new install.
It IS possible to set Puppy up in fairly short order.....even a highly-customized set-up like mine.

For a long while, I've had what I call 'all-in-one' .pets or SFS packages......which I've constructed in such a way that a single click will auto-install several of my most commonly-used apps (these are ones that don't come with Puppy OOTB). I've done the same with multiple configuration files......and ever since we developed the Puppy-portable eco-system, I have other .pets that basically consist of nothing but .desktop entries & sym-links. LOTS of sym-links!

Many of the above also permit sharing of "common" files between multiple different Puppies, too.

I did all this because I got fed-up with the repetitive process of painstakingly setting up each individual distro, one step at a time.... Well, it works for me. I'm an impatient bugger when it comes right down to it! :D

(No, I know many people enjoy the whole process of setting an OS up in just the way they like. I like having it the way I want it, too.....but I'd rather get that part out of the way ASAP, so that I can get on with actually using it.)

Mike. ;)

Last edited:

@MikeWalsh
Wow that sounds cool.
I always have to do the painstaking way of setting things up like my browsers but that's usually the only things I have to set up in Puppy's.

I am a long time Microsoft user going back to the first days of DOS. I got to the stage I just could not put up with Microsoft any longer especially since the Windows 11 situation and having Windows 12 now right behind that.

I started off with Linux Mint Cinnamon and then went to Ubuntu Cinnamon. My Ubuntu ran into issues where I had to do a new installation. I went back to Mint Cinnamon and I seems to find it a lot nicer than Ubuntu.

It all depends on what I'm going to use the computer for when I select a Linux Distro

For example my laptop that I plan to use and take to work, I would be looking for something clean and basic and light for web browning so Firefox and Libra Office and a clean destktop where I can drop files onto for quick accessI'd probably go with something like a Ubuntu based OS like xubuntu or something.

Another example I quite fancy a portable Sega games Laptop so I would choose Batocera Linux for that laptop then add all the Sega games and I've then got a laptop to play old Sega games on.

There are many reasons why I would choose an OS

I am a long time Microsoft user going back to the first days of DOS. I got to the stage I just could not put up with Microsoft any longer especially since the Windows 11 situation and having Windows 12 now right behind that.
I gave up on Windows this year when Windows 8.1 reached its EOL.
There's only one computer in the house with Windows 10 and that belongs to the wife.
Went looking at some Windows 11 computers because our computers are to old and need some kind of TPM2 device or something like that.
I don't want to buy no new Windows 11 computer but don't know if the wife will want to use Linux.

Since we are on the subject........earlier this evening I got bored and remembered VanillaOS was on a virtual machine on my "old" Parrot Home box and the fact that I actually liked it.
I decided to install it on my MacbookAir and running it for like 2 hours now and you know what? It's impressive.

I like the concept of containers and virtualization and this OS...........it just works and keeps going. I haven't NEARLY begun to explore this thing but I am impressed with it's stability.
I am by no means a fan of Flatpak and such but this OS runs it like a boss and it comes with it's own (lightweight and limited) virtual machine manager called "Boxes" (through Flatpak) which does nothing more than giving you permission to use the guest OS (including a full install) and that is a GOOD thing imho.

It even runs Pups in a virtual machine. The machine I am running has only 4GB of RAM but its lightning fast. Will keep testing this OS for a bit.

(Posting from a virtual AntiX machine).

I don't want to buy no new Windows 11 computer but don't know if the wife will want to use Linux.

The missus is pretty comfortable with Lubuntu, even taking care of her own devices. She's quite a bit younger than we are, so adapting to Linux may have been easier for her. She also never had a computer of her own until after meeting me. So, we put Lubuntu on her first real computer (not a phone, not a tablet) and that's what she uses.

There's only one computer in the house with Windows 10 and that belongs to the wife.
Went looking at some Windows 11 computers because our computers are to old and need some kind of TPM2 device or something like that.
I never bothered with Windows 8. Windows 7 was good tho. I still use Windows 7 but mainly for programming Hytera DMR stuff and for printing. I've also got machines running MS-DOS, Windows 95 and Windows 98SE and Windows 2000 SP4 for retro nostalgia. I also have a toughbook running Windows XP but that is used for programming older PMR equipment and generally used for running older Motorola & Tait software have an i7 on Windows 10 I also use Chrome OS Flex but most of the time I use Linux for everyday internet stuff. I don't think I would bother with Windows 11 as it doesn't really appeal to me, Linux is pretty much the way to go for the future even Bill Gates is turning his attentions towards Linux.

@The Duck :-

Wow that sounds cool.
I always have to do the painstaking way of setting things up like my browsers but that's usually the only things I have to set up in Puppy's.
That's where the 'portable' browser concept comes into play. I can't see the point in installing & setting-up multiple versions of the same item, when a single 'shared' install will work for multiple Puppies. I don't want to 'Sync' my browsers with somebody else's cloud, thank you very much, so this way I can swap Puppies ad-lib, keep all my extensions/bookmarks/apps exactly as they are and carry straight on with wherever I got to before the re-boot..!

We've got portable versions of Chrome, Ungoogled Chromium, SRWare's Iron, Brave, Opera, Slimjet, both 'mainline' AND ESR variants of Firefox, Pale Moon, SeaMonkey.....even Edge 4 Linux, if that appeals to you. Plus a portable version of Thunderbird, too.

Almost all of the above either possess built-in updaters, or else we've written updater scripts for them.....a couple check for updates automatically (Chrome & Edge 4 Linux, I think), and for the others it's the work of a few moments to run the script manually and check.

If you take a look here, I put together a list of all the portables I've produced for Puppy, along with assistance from several other community members:-

Mike. ;)

There's no reason the wife couldn't use Linux.
She mainly internet browses and internet shops.
Whatever she decides or wants to do is the way it will be just easier that way.

Some of you, like myself, may have a laptop or desktop that has a few years on it and does not have the TPM 2.0 (Trusted Platform Module) it may have only 1.0 or 1.1 - Windows 11 requires 2.0 and above so this means you will not be able to install Windows 11 do to this requirement, but no worries there is a way around this - While this is not an option that will be available to the average user, it is possible to edit the registry to make it possible to install Windows 11 on a computer that does not have TPM 2.0. Mostly for computers made prior to 2017
Use the following steps to install Windows 11 on an "incompatible" system:

Start the installation of Windows 11, wait for a "This PC can't run Windows 11" message to appear and then pressing Shift + F10
At the command prompt, type regedit and press Enter
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ Setup and create a new key called LabConfig
Under this key, create a new DWORD (32-bit) value called BypassTPMCheck and set its value to 1
Create another new DWORD (32-bit) value called BypassRAMCheck and set its value to 1
Create a third new DWORD (32-bit) value called BypassSecureBootCheck and set its value to 1
Close the Registry Editor, type exit and hit Enter
When you are returned to the Windows Setup screen, click the back arrow and then restart the installation process.
You should find that you are able to install Windows 11

This only works on "Clean Installs" not an upgrade

My basics are

- a system I can control (almost any GNU/Linux or BSD provides me that; I didn't feel like I had control under windows)

- isn't that difficult (why I'm a GNU/Linux user over the BSD I once upon a time 'preferred')

- where I can install the desktop that best suits my needs (my default is a multi-desktop setup where I choose what I'll use based on what I'll do, or can login with a different GUI/DE as I want a change). I use this feature only occasionally, but I do like it

- good deal of software (and any critical software I'll need for whatever I'll use that box for)

Less important, but considerations/thoughts

- to me all flavors of Ubuntu are still Ubuntu... If I wanted a machine running Ubuntu and a specific desktop I know I could use any Ubuntu (or flavor) ISO & get exactly the same result and what I wanted (the difference between them is just what packages are installed by default, controlled by seed used in creation).

- I prefer a complete system from a single sources; not one that relies on packages from elsewhere (ie. I may like the look of Linux Mint, but given I rather not have runtime adjustments on my system, I'll install a Ubuntu system and manually adjust it to what I want myself without the extra software some Ubuntu-based systems require use of).

I'm using Ubuntu mantic right now, later in the day I'll be elsewhere and using Debian trixie and to be honest, the only difference I'll notice is the keyboard/screens layout will differ (not the OS/software as its pretty much the same). Sure I'm using LXQt right now, and will likely login again with KDE on Debian, but that's easily changed by choosing another when I login. I'd be as happy with using OpenSuSE or Fedora too (I used to use them on my primary PC thus this screen/keyboard decade+ ago anyway before I got heavily involved with the Ubuntu project)

I do have a preference for deb or apt packaging, but that's mostly as I started on Debian long ago (late 90s) and thus my fingers can type those commands before my brain has consciously worked out what I need (I feel like it follows & says yep - that's what I need). Thus my goto systems are usually a Debian or Ubuntu system (Ubuntu I think has just been easier).

FYI: I will consider the hardware I use in the decision... I still use hardware from 2003 (i386/i686 only) which thus has fewer options.

Backup option.... If I can't decide.. I have a set of D&D die to my right underneath a screen, they're always a fallback option for when I cannot decide :)

The missus is pretty comfortable with Lubuntu, even taking care of her own devices. She's quite a bit younger than we are, so adapting to Linux may have been easier for her. She also never had a computer of her own until after meeting me. So, we put Lubuntu on her first real computer (not a phone, not a tablet) and that's what she uses.
I like having a closet with a few old computers in it.
I just installed Lubuntu 22.04.2 and it works great.
The install took forever.
The hard drive indicator light showed activity so I walked away and came back later Lubuntu 22.04.2 was installed.
It reminds me of Windows 98 very simple I like simple.
I'm going to see if the wife likes it.
Everything updated pretty quickly except I had to figure out how to update Snap Firefox.

Code:
sudo killall firefox

Code:
sudo snap refresh

I've never used Snap Firefox before it isn't as bad as I've read about it being, really not bad at all.
Guess I've got some learning to do about Snaps.
I don't know anything about Snaps.

Last edited:
Is the Distro user friendly...solid...customizable...have all the tools I need and a nice easy to use menu...Mint Cinnamon is all that...the rest is up to me.
m1212.gif

@The Duck :-

That's where the 'portable' browser concept comes into play. I can't see the point in installing & setting-up multiple versions of the same item, when a single 'shared' install will work for multiple Puppies. I don't want to 'Sync' my browsers with somebody else's cloud, thank you very much, so this way I can swap Puppies ad-lib, keep all my extensions/bookmarks/apps exactly as they are and carry straight on with wherever I got to before the re-boot..!

We've got portable versions of Chrome, Ungoogled Chromium, SRWare's Iron, Brave, Opera, Slimjet, both 'mainline' AND ESR variants of Firefox, Pale Moon, SeaMonkey.....even Edge 4 Linux, if that appeals to you. Plus a portable version of Thunderbird, too.

Almost all of the above either possess built-in updaters, or else we've written updater scripts for them.....a couple check for updates automatically (Chrome & Edge 4 Linux, I think), and for the others it's the work of a few moments to run the script manually and check.

If you take a look here, I put together a list of all the portables I've produced for Puppy, along with assistance from several other community members:-

Mike. ;)
The only browsers I ever use are FireFox and Opera and Chrome if I'm running Flex OS otherwise its just FireFox and Opera.

Everything updated pretty quickly except I had to figure out how to update Snap Firefox.

It should check twice a day and then update itself, as all Snaps should. It'll retain the previous version, should the update go awry.

I like having a closet with a few old computers in it.

I have a few old computers, but they're really old - like one is a TRS-80 Model II, a VIC 20, some 8086, etc...

I mostly want my stuff to get rehomed while it still has useful life or to get recycled.

It reminds me of Windows 98 very simple I like simple.

Yup. Everything is right where you'd expect it to be, pretty much.

I'm an official member (basically I'm on the team as a tester, not a developer).

I'm going to see if the wife likes it.

She might appreciate it more if it was on something modern, as it will run much faster. But, depending on her tasks, she might enjoy it and have no reason to continue using Windows. Unless you need some specific Windows-only application, you should have a pretty easy time moving to Linux.

I have a few old computers, but they're really old - like one is a TRS-80 Model II, a VIC 20, some 8086, etc...
Now those are old.

I mostly want my stuff to get rehomed while it still has useful life or to get recycled.
Ideally yes the best way realistically most likely doesn't usually happen in my case.

Yup. Everything is right where you'd expect it to be, pretty much.
It's pretty straightforward and not complicated.

She might appreciate it more if it was on something modern, as it will run much faster. But, depending on her tasks, she might enjoy it and have no reason to continue using Windows. Unless you need some specific Windows-only application, you should have a pretty easy time moving to Linux.
She is already complaining about not being able to create desktop icons.
I tried to tell her to just become familiar with it for now and learn where and what things are and do.
Time will tell so we wait and see.
Took me a week or so to get comfortable with Linux when I first started using Linux.
She did find Firefox browser right off the bat so that's a good start.

I have an Acorn Electron that went faulty but the keyboard is still good and the 5 volt PSU circuitry is good. My plan was to gut it leaving just the keyboard and the PSU circuit board and getting an arduino board along with a raspberry pi or other single board computer inside the Acorn and connecting the Acorns keyboard to the USB.

I've been meaning to do that for many years but haven't got around to doing it. I can't remember the site name "retro something" had ready made boards so that it could be done but they were pricey, I couldn't justify chucking 130 plus pounds at some old junk so I never bought one.

Members online