Solved USB ports issue - really slow

Solved issue
Before this step, boot to the live USB and see if that solves the problem. If it doesn't, reinstalling is unlikely to help.

Also, doesn't Mint have some sort of distro with an advanced kernel for more modern hardware? I forget the name but I've seen it mentioned. You could also try that.
Agreed:-
Not sure if Mint has a kernel for advanced hardware but I know MX Linux does.

Well, @KGIII , I didn't see your post prior to doing a fresh install. Had to do it 3 times as my system hanged right after the install was complete. Still have an error when I shut down. But I'll deal with that after I get this kernel thing figured out.

My USB ports are back to normal. At least for now. However, I have a 21" (I think) LG monitor and this box I'm typing in right now takes up 1/3 of the screen. :D

My current kernel is the install supplied 5.15.0-91-generic. Which one should I go for to see if it supports this monitor? Seems there are a ton to choose from.

Did you get a new monitor recently?
No. This monitor, while fairly new, has been on the machine since I first switched to Linux.
Have you tried rolling back to an older kernel that the Mint upgrade offered or installed?
Just finished a fresh install. USB ports work. Now I have to get my monitor working like it should.

Not sure if Mint has a kernel for advanced hardware but I know MX Linux does.

You made me go look. It's called Edge. It's available for Cinnamon. So, Linux Mint Edge Cinnamon might be the name, or it could be Linux Mint Cinnamon Edge.

Either way, it's available to download right from Mint's site. Just look under 'all downloads'.

Well, @KGIII , I didn't see your post prior to doing a fresh install.

Seeing as you just did a clean install, try downloading the Edge version and try installing that.

Going to be a bit. My internet service won't be repaired until Tue or Wed. I went out and put my redneck engineering degree to good use. Nothing like a pocket knife and some duct tape to get the job done! It works. Albeit, a tad slow.

Well, I have "Edge" running. USB ports are still good. However, still not recognizing my monitor.

If I keep this, I have to find some better icons and themes. Not nearly as polished as Virginia. Speaking of which. I've already been informed that there is an update (to Virginia :D)

Dave, what version of the kernel is Edge running?

Code:
uname -r

Wiz

I'm just rebooting into Virginia.

Dave, what version of the kernel is Edge running?

Code:
uname -r

Wiz
Yes. It's 6.5.

I need to Change my screen-name here to MoriceRonald (MoRon)

I searched for "Linux Mint Edge". First link was to the edge page of linuxmint.com. And my butt just clicked on the link provided and installed it (after the checksum, etc). And afterwards, went looking for a suitable kernel when I ran across a link to a post here at Linux.org letting folks know a new version was released. That's when it hit me that I just wasted an hour and half on version 20.something.

Downloaded 21.3 edge and ALL is good so far!

Can I call that idiotic move..... Practice?

Thanks, Alex.

Can I call that idiotic move..... Practice?

Nah, you could call it "We've all been there, done that, got a t-shirt on the way", although some may not admit it so readily.

Do I take it from

ALL is good so far!

that monitor works and USB ports work?

If so, then a Timeshift snapshot might be in order.

As @KGIII suggested, I installed Mint Edge 21.3. And for anyone who stumbles upon this thread wondering about the "Edge" version of Mint. I can't "see" a difference. It is visually identical, and so far, appears to have the same functionality as Mint Virginia. The difference is apparently all behind the scenes, so to speak.

Thanks for the suggestion @KGIII

As @KGIII suggested, I installed Mint Edge 21.3. And for anyone who stumbles upon this thread wondering about the "Edge" version of Mint. I can't "see" a difference. It is visually identical, and so far, appears to have the same functionality as Mint Virginia. The difference is apparently all behind the scenes, so to speak.

Thanks for the suggestion @KGIII

Enjoy and don't forget to mark the thread as solved. I figured it was worth trying as the updated kernel had helped you in the past.

As @KGIII suggested, I installed Mint Edge 21.3.
I see this about Linux Mint Edge.
This is a quick announcement to let you know an “Edge” ISO image is now available for Linux Mint 21.3.
This image is made for people whose hardware is too new to boot the 5.15 LTS kernel included in Linux Mint 21.x. It ships with kernel 6.5 instead.
Wouldn't it have been easier to just have installed the Mainline kernel since that is the latest kernel?

Wouldn't it have been easier to just have installed the Mainline kernel since that is the latest kernel?
Probably. But at this point, the answer to your question is the same as the answer to the decades old question: "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie-Pop?"

(For the youngsters the answer is: "The world may never know.")

Probably. But at this point, the answer to your question is the same as the answer to the decades old question: "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie-Pop?"
If it's only the kernel that's newer then yes it would have helped your choice. I don't like switching distributions just because x doesn't work as expected after an updated.

If it's only the kernel that's newer then yes it would have helped your choice. I don't like switching distributions just because x doesn't work as expected after an updated.
Maybe I'm not understanding "its only the kernel that's newer".

I was running the 6.5 kernel prior to the managed upgrade due to the original not supporting my monitor. The upgrade to 21.3 messed up my USB ports. So, as suggested, I did a full install of 21.3 Virginia (3 times due to errors during install). Which reverted back to the earlier 5.X kernel. Thus, my monitor was fubarred again. And I still had some errors that I would need to address.

Upgrading to the 6.5 kernel would have fixed my monitor issue. And "might" have fixed the errors I was getting. I'm not sure because I hadn't started investigating them yet. KGIII brought up Edge, which is really just a tweaked version of Virginia. In fact, screenfetch reports my OS as Linuxmint 21.3 virginia. As I wouldn't lose anything but time, I downloaded and installed it. No more errors and my monitor and USB problems are fixed.

Last edited:

Members online