usb boot issue

XPFTP

Reaction score
Credits
i did a install of linux on a usb thumb. from a iso thru the installer on another usb thumb.
it will work but it wont boot.
it messed up the computer mbr . had to go in with grub customizer fix the boot record in the 2 OS. linux/win dual boot. then fix bios.
all good on laptop..

usb is set in boot chain in bios. just wont boot.
in the main grub boot on laptop. i have it in there also.
so laptop grub shows
deb mint
winx
deb itself

so how do i fix the boot record on the usb thunb

You can enter the BIOS/UEFI and change the boot order to USB first boot, or if you only occasionally use the USB pen drive [or have it set up with a hacking distro] then use the short [one time]boot option

You can enter the BIOS/UEFI and change the boot order to USB first boot, or if you only occasionally use the USB pen drive [or have it set up with a hacking distro] then use the short [one time]boot option
it is in boot order.
bios boot order in the laptop.

1st usb
2nd hdd

the usb thumb should boot on its own. it does not. i did a install debian on the thumb as a normal version not live .
it wont boot... in the boot folder is nothing on the thumb

i have to build a boot record. but i have no clue how to do so on the usb thumb only.

i did a install debian on the thumb as a normal version
Do you mean an ISO ? that's not the way to go if you want a usable pendrive to act as a main installation. You need to install the distribution [in the same way you do to the HDD] or use a pendrive with persistance

Do you mean an ISO ? that's not the way to go if you want a usable pendrive to act as a main installation. You need to install the distribution [in the same way you do to the HDD] or use a pendrive with persistance
ill put a vid link maybe that will help .. for folks to understand what i did..
i will say this.. when i followed this video. it messed up GRUB dual boot deb and winx MAIN HDD LAPTOP ... got that fixed
again
BIOS BOOT ORDER
usb
hdd

heres video i follwoed the video i followed

What happens if you choose the one-time boot selection method?

For example, it might be F2 instead of F10 which takes you to the settings.

That might explain what I mean better. Instead of entering settings, select it manually.

Also, are you using UEFI? I've seen some flakiness with USB booting under UEFI mode. The last time I had that issue, I basically brute forced crap until it finally worked. It took some settings changes and I had to try a few before it finally would appear and let me boot to it.

What happens if you choose the one-time boot selection method?

For example, it might be F2 instead of F10 which takes you to the settings.

That might explain what I mean better. Instead of entering settings, select it manually.

Also, are you using UEFI? I've seen some flakiness with USB booting under UEFI mode. The last time I had that issue, I basically brute forced crap until it finally worked. It took some settings changes and I had to try a few before it finally would appear and let me boot to it.
done that. if i can not boot it on its own. then its a waste of time to go on.. iam nto sure why the boot record on the thumb can not be fixed. i dont want to have to pick and pick and poke and bios this and that... that is why i made.

thanks anyways.. ill find another way to fix it

With the ISO burnt to your Flash Drive and plugged in to the USB port...restart your Computer tapping the correct keyboard key... this brings up the Boot Menu.

Select your Flash Drive and press Enter...it will now boot to your Distro...my Tower is F11 but yours might be different.
m1218.gif

G'day @XPFTP and welcome to linux.org :)

Some of what you have written above is unclear to me, so let's see if we can get the info in terms we can understand?

it will work but it wont boot.

OK, it doesn't boot into Debian independently, but then tell us what you do that causes you to say it will work.

it messed up the computer mbr

So, are you on BIOS/MBR and not UEFI/GPT, is that so? Windows 10 usually requires UEFI, and has an ESP (EFI System Partition, usually 100 MB to 500 MB in size)

had to go in with grub customizer fix the boot record in the 2 OS.

A tip too late, perhaps - don't use Grub Customizer, it can cause more problems than it fixes. It modifies the storage of your system files in a way that cannot easily be restored and it is hard to remove.

linux/win dual boot

and

So which Linux did you have booting alongside Windows 10? Perhaps you can take a phone pic of the Grub Menu and attach it?

the usb thumb should boot on its own. it does not.

And it won't. If, for example, you have Debian 12 at the top of your Grub Menu, and it is working, then
  • boot into it.
  • insert your USB stick that has the full Debian install on it
  • run, in Terminal
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
  • leave the stick in place and reboot the computer
  • does an entry for the stick installation appear in your Grub Menu now?
I know it is tedious, but if you answer my 5 questions, number by number, that may assist greatly.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

From what I see written above, it sounds like you installed the boot loader to the wrong disk - make sure you install it to the pendrive, & not your internal disk.

done that. if i can not boot it on its own. then its a waste of time to go on.. iam nto sure why the boot record on the thumb can not be fixed. i dont want to have to pick and pick and poke and bios this and that... that is why i made.

thanks anyways.. ill find another way to fix it
If the boot folder does not exist that explains why it won't boot.

Often times when things don't perform or function normally as they should it's because a step or process was missed or not put into practice.

Did you verify the integrity of that .iso before you installed it to the thumb drive?

Our moderator @wizardfromoz is correct in what he stated @XPFTP.

Grub-customizer is notoriously problematic and known for breaking Grub configs.

Going to the distribution's authoritative documentation is a trusted way to do things.

Members online