Upon installation

Yoda

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,

New to the forum and I want to install Linux Mint.

I had Windows 7 Pro and I upgraded to Windows 10 when I was offered it for free. It appeared to be a mistake, Windows 10 seems to have a life of its own and I feel as if someone is watching me and sees everything I do. Moreover it uninstalled my onboard BIOS update tool with the explanation that it wasn't compatible with the OS. So now I can't upgrade to Windows 11 and I feel that it is time to move on from the Microsoft circus.
I loved XP and also 7, but that's about it.

A few questions arise, can/should I install software for the motherboard prior to the installation?
Can/do I need to install any of the software from the disks or will Linux assist me while I go on?
Many thanks in advance!

Michael

Hi

A few questions arise, can/should I install software for the motherboard prior to the installation?
No. Linux will most likely install all needed drivers automatically at boot time.
Your graphics card might need manual driver installation.
Can/do I need to install any of the software from the disks or will Linux assist me while I go on?
What software are you referring to?

regards,
cs

Hi

No. Linux will most likely install all needed drivers automatically at boot time.
Your graphics card might need manual driver installation.

What software are you referring to?

regards,
cs
Motherboard, sound card, graphic card, the BIOS tool and perhaps a few more.

Motherboard, sound card, graphic card, the BIOS tool and perhaps a few more.
No.
Minst starts a live session when you boot from the installation drive. You can check if all your devices work correctly before you commit to an installation on a fixed drive.

No.
Minst starts a live session when you boot from the installation drive. You can check if all your devices work correctly before you commit to an installation on a fixed drive.
Good to know, thanks! It will be a complete new experience for me, install some kind of email, browser etc.

Hello @Yoda,
Welcome to the Linux.org forum, Enjoy! :)

Your install with Linux mint will most likely work with your hardware. Only ones that can give problems are the graphics card if it's Nvidia or sometimes the WIFI card if you have one if it's realtek. Other than that they usually work quite well. You have to understand though that your windows programs will not work in linux without some additional software. The bios upgrade tool is most likely only written for Windows. The Live session of mint should tell you if your hardware is working and I would suggest you read the release notes found here :
and installation guide found here.
Good luck and let us know if we can help and how you get along.

Hello @Yoda,
Welcome to the Linux.org forum, Enjoy! :)

Your install with Linux mint will most likely work with your hardware. Only ones that can give problems are the graphics card if it's Nvidia or sometimes the WIFI card if you have one if it's realtek. Other than that they usually work quite well. You have to understand though that your windows programs will not work in linux without some additional software. The bios upgrade tool is most likely only written for Windows. The Live session of mint should tell you if your hardware is working and I would suggest you read the release notes found here :

and installation guide found here.

Good luck and let us know if we can help and how you get along.
Many thanks! I know quite a lot about computers and software, but I have mostly been using Windows and I have always built my computers.

I will install Linux on an EVO 860 SSD, it's exactly the same as the one running W10, that way I can make myself comfortable with Linux and adjust bits and bobs to my taste.

The bios upgrade tool is most likely only written for Windows.
If there is something wrong in the bios you have to install Windows to fix it? or I should ask if there is a manufacturer that makes bios update tools for Linux?

Last edited:
I wonder how I proceed when a Linux operating system reaches EOL, will it be possible to jump to another or do I need to start all over again? Just thinking ahead, I noticed that Mint "only" will be supported until 2027.

You do not need Motherboard drivers, this is a Microsoft thing, Linux contains 90% of the drivers you need and they can be installed [we can advise]
see my How-to guide in my signature below
If you have any 3rd party windows program [we call them apps] that you definitely need to use, check to see if they will run in Wine

Last edited:
I wonder how I proceed when a Linux operating system reaches EOL, will it be possible to jump to another or do I need to start all over again? Just thinking ahead, I noticed that Mint "only" will be supported until 2027.
With most Distros , Mint included, you can simply upgrade to the next release. With Mint you get 5 years support so there is no rush to upgrade. In Mint for point releases you can upgrade to the next point release without problems most of the time. And though it's possible to Upgrade to the next major version when it arrives I usually advise you backup your important data, You should be doing that anyway, and do a fresh install of new major versions.
There is a learning curve with Linux and we all had to go through it. But once you get it down It is really easier than window in my opinion. For @Terminal Velocity Most manufactures build for Windows. It's still the most sold system in the world. But the situation is getting better. I read somewhere where some of them now have bios updates that can be done in Linux as well.

This article may be of help on the bios thing.
Oh, I am afraid that it is way above my skills. On the other hand I don't need to keep the BIOS updated because of the missing UEFI in W10 which I am going to dump anyway.

Oh, I am afraid that it is way above my skills. On the other hand I don't need to keep the BIOS updated because of the missing UEFI in W10 which I am going to dump anyway.
Well I would not worry about it. Your Bios should be fine in Linux. As many will tell you just jump in and installing Linux is the best way to learn. When your stumped about something just ask on this forum or the Distro your using forum and you usually get an answer that will help. Let us know how you get on. Mint is a good one to start with.

A W7 machine should be UEFI and not BIOS, if you are doing a clean installation [wiping windows] most Linux distributions will build the UEFI it needs

To add to the above, it's often easier to switch from UEFI to 'legacy' (BIOS) mode. Enter the setup at boot and enable legacy mode before you install Mint. You can do UEFI, but it can be a bit more complicated - especially if you want to go mucking about with the boot process later.

To add to the above, it's often easier to switch from UEFI to 'legacy' (BIOS) mode. Enter the setup at boot and enable legacy mode before you install Mint. You can do UEFI, but it can be a bit more complicated - especially if you want to go mucking about with the boot process later.
I looked around in BIOS, but I didn't find UEFI anywhere?!

Hi,

New to the forum and I want to install Linux Mint.

I had Windows 7 Pro and I upgraded to Windows 10 when I was offered it for free. It appeared to be a mistake, Windows 10 seems to have a life of its own and I feel as if someone is watching me and sees everything I do. Moreover it uninstalled my onboard BIOS update tool with the explanation that it wasn't compatible with the OS. So now I can't upgrade to Windows 11 and I feel that it is time to move on from the Microsoft circus.
I loved XP and also 7, but that's about it.

Many thanks in advance!

Michael
@Condobloke
Greetings Michael,
Welcome to the forum.
I have been using Linux Mint for about 5 years. I migrated from Windows 7. Been using the computer since about 1993. {88 years old now}.
I have found that the easiest Linux distro to transition to {for me} was Linux Mint MATE. I tried several other distros but they were not as easy to maneuver my way around while learning the Linux way of doing things.
Depending on your machine, I believe that Mint will automatically install all the stuff you need to get up and running. I have Mint on all my cps, including 3 laptops, and 4 desktops. I have never had a virus or any malware; and have no need for any anti-virus programs. Keeping the system up to date could not be any easier.
{I am not a computer programmer, but have read enough about 'C' to be dangerous.
I am able to write a small script if I need one.}
Since coming to Linux I have become acquainted with the terminal a little bit.
I would highly recommend Mint for any newbie.
Just my thoughts from......
The Old Geezer
Tango Charlie

@Yoda said, "I looked around in BIOS, but I didn't find UEFI anywhere?!"

Don't worry about it, then. Yours is an old machine (like all of mine) so why don't you give us its specs?

Just do a 'Full Install' and not worry about software, for now.

Best wishes!

Like Reply

I will look up the specs and attach or paste soon.

Staff online