Upon installation

You do not need Motherboard drivers, this is a Microsoft thing, Linux contains 90% of the drivers you need and they can be installed
@Yoda said, "I looked around in BIOS, but I didn't find UEFI anywhere?!"

Don't worry about it, then. Yours is an old machine (like all of mine) so why don't you give us its specs?

Just do a 'Full Install' and not worry about software, for now.
Your best course of action is ^^^^^....up there. Lose the worry about motherboard drivers etc etc...Linux will do the hard work
Just do a Full install....and get on with it.

Software can be sorted after the install. You cannot sort the software before you have the OS on the ssd.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 graphics card named ZOTAC

16 Gb of RAM

Samsung EVO 860 SSD

Intel Core i7-4770K 3,50GHz cpu

I don't remember the motherboard, but I think it is a GIGABYTE Intel series 8

Everything was new 2016

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 graphics card named ZOTAC

16 Gb of RAM

Samsung EVO 860 SSD

Intel Core i7-4770K 3,50GHz cpu

I don't remember the motherboard, but I think it is a GIGABYTE Intel series 8

Everything was new 2016
I take it this one is a desktop. Provided you get an error free download and a clean burn of the ISO to the pen-drive you should not have any serious problems
make sure Windows quick start [if you have it] is disabled
use a good quality pen-drive
use Balena Etcher to burn the iso

Last edited:
I take it this one is a desktop. Provided you get an error free download and a clean burn of the ISO to the pen-drive you should not have any serious problems
make sure Windows quick start [if you have it]
use a good quality pen-drive
use Balena Etcher to burn the iso
It is indeed a desktop. I have created a DVD and as far as I know it should start an installation from that.

@Yoda
once you have made your installation medium [pendrive or DVD] follow the guide to installing [see my signature below]

In big blue letters "HOW DO I INSTALL LINUX"
hover cursor over it and click

Suggestion: the nVidia card is add-on with Intel® HD Graphics 4600 built-in to CPU . . . so, install without the nVidia card first; get proprietary driver and install GTX 770 driver lastly

Your motherboard will either go automatically with the built-in graphics or it has to be turned off and on manually, with a jumper or switch, once the card is removed from the motherboard.

Unless one goes with a distro that automatically 'finds' the correct driver*, there could be problems with the nVidia graphics card driver not being installed and therefore not usable. In which case, you WOULD be blind.

This is the 'problem' so may here cry about with nVidia. So, it's just a 'heads-up.'

Your motherboard will either go automatically with the built-in graphics or it has to be turned off and on manually, with a jumper or switch, once the card is removed from the motherboard.

Unless one goes with a distro that automatically 'finds' the correct driver*, there could be problems with the nVidia graphics card driver not being installed and therefore not usable. In which case, you WOULD be blind.

This is the 'problem' so may here cry about with nVidia. So, it's just a 'heads-up.'

Another question, I seem to have the 19.3 version, is it a matter of upgrading from that to the latest or should I create a disc with the latest version?

I suggest dedicating a smallish USB stick to use with Ventoy and trying out each distro put on the USB stick
before installing on hdd or ssd.

See Create Multiboot USB Disk in Windows Using Ventoy
So far I am completely lost regarding the Ventoy and other suggestions, I have been away from this for too long and much has happened since I laid back and "enjoyed" what I had.
Still, learn by doing has been my path in life and I am sure that I can manage.

Two questions:

Can Linux Mint 19.3 be upgraded to 20 or a later version?

Will Linux Mint run on a 64 bit system?

It will take a while [i will take it in stages]
from the terminal
sudo apt update ..enter
password ...enter
apt upgrade....enter
if it says will take extra XXX mb hit enter [this will fully update 19.3]
when complete open update manager [under edit or view] you should have an entry to upgrade to mint XX open and run

Members online