Updating Linux.

• Thread starter Deleted member 128018
  • Start date
I'm finding a few bugs

Be sure to report them and report them properly - which can be a pain in the butt.

I'm a big fan of responsibility. I haven't authored the article yet, but it's on my list of articles to write.

As a user of free software, one of our biggest responsibilities is to report bugs. We are the quality control and the developer's don't always notice the bugs themselves. As users of free software, we're obligated to report the bugs we find. It's our duty to help make the software better. (Dev's should make it easy/easier to report bugs.)

I plan on a whole article regarding this very subject. I just haven't written it yet.

I will try my best is all I can do but I have to figure out how and I need to create an MX forum account.

Dev's should make it easy/easier to report bugs.)
Amen to that !!....why they feel the process has to be as convoluted as it is, is beyond me.

@old timer , you may just become the go to guy for MX here at Linux.org

Amen to that !!....why they feel the process has to be as convoluted as it is, is beyond me.

It's often that they're tied into a system for things like revision control and that software doesn't put as much emphasis on reporting bugs as it could. At the end of the day, the devs should reduce bug-reporting friction.

Yeah, I can understand wanting things to be uniform, tracked, triaged, and categorized. That's important to resolving bugs quickly. That doesn't mean that it can't be an easier process than it often is. I find GitHub is pretty good for reporting bugs. That's a good thing.

Be sure to report them and report them properly - which can be a pain in the butt.
I plan on a whole article regarding this very subject. I just haven't written it yet.

That will be a much needed article :) Many distros do not make it easy to report bugs. So any help to folks along the way in deciphering how to do that will be a great help to many. Thanks for all your efforts.

Thanks for all your efforts.

I'm more than halfway through the project, but it seems like the kind of project I'm likely to keep doing. I may change the publication schedule when it reaches the end of a year, but who knows? We'll see when we get there, but it seems likely that I'll keep smashing the keyboard until articles come out.

The reason I've not yet done the article is I'm not quite sure how to do it. I'd kinda like to give some basic directions for a few of the more popular distros, just to give folks a head start. I suspect many bugs go unreported (I know I've not reported bugs in the past for this very reason) is because the reporting process is onerous.

As someone pretty much on the Lubuntu team (still unofficial), I can see why the developer's ask for the things they ask for - but it's not always all that easy.

Here's the page for Ubuntu:

Ubuntu is one of the easiest, 'cause it'll file bug reports with some automation - so long as you know the magical incantations required to start the process. Yet, it's still a lot of complexity for a user that's unfamiliar with the process - or doesn't understand their system very well.

Just looked that page linked above..... https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

Definitely not for the faint hearted. Faced with a wall of text, most ordinary people would assess whether reporting the bug means enough to them to justify reading/making sense of, all that crap.

So expecting input when a "task' is necessary to make that input.....Nah. Basically people are lazy.

Definitely not for the faint hearted.

And that's "easy" and "straightforward". That even has its own app that'll help you file bugs.

As a Lubuntu tester, I have to use that system for each and every bug - no matter how trivial.

There are like 5 other systems that I should also be familiar with just to really interact with the team.

It really is a mess. Also, one of the major systems (the venerable 'Phabricator') is going by the wayside as the dev (singular) bailed on the project - after years of work. Even major sites like Wikipedia rely on Phab.

Things like this make it harder for the Average Joe to participate, not just report bugs.

They may have fixed that in later Mint/Ubuntu but on Mint 18.3 that used to return errors.

I'll have to take your word for it, but I've used that alias for a long, long time. If I'm using something other than apt, I still use that same alias so that it's consistent across distros. I dunno when I started doing so but it was right around 2015 when I started to keep my .bash_aliases file updated and synced across multiple devices. So, it was likely in that area that I started using it.

Code:
alias update="sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y && sudo apt autoremove -y && sudo apt clean -y"

I have the MX 21 new released a few days ago although I'm finding a few bugs however to be expected

Quite so. I noticed that with using the RC (Release Candidate) a little earlier.

Overall, though, MX is a wonderful series. I have had it in my stable since MX-14, and have had very few troubles.

Wiz

I have the MX 21 new released

OK you have done it now.. spent the morning installing MX21-64 in place of MX-19-32 on my spare laptop drive, Hate firefox extended release [just wont work on some streaming sites] so will have to put up with chrome, apart from that all seems fine even my 20+ yr old card making program is working with Wine , makes my mint install on the main drive , like a snail in need of steroids

Been using MX-21 KDE since beta and it's working great here. Old T450 laptop. :)
No real problems Just works.

mines an old dell 1545 insperon with the intel duo 2 core [64 bit] cpu and 4 gb ram
the T450 has an I5 256 gbs ssd and 8 gigs ram. Works well. and solid. MX flies on it.

Last edited:
I'll have to take your word for it, but I've used that alias for a long, long time. If I'm using something other than apt, I still use that same alias so that it's consistent across distros. I dunno when I started doing so but it was right around 2015 when I started to keep my .bash_aliases file updated and synced across multiple devices. So, it was likely in that area that I started using it.
I used Mint 18.3 for nearly 4 years. At first aliases didn't work at all, then I found a way to use them in Mint and it was like I said - using system words returned errors, so I came up with alternative words - abbreviation of the system words which I'm using until today. Force of habit.
Nowadays I'm using Arch where aliases work perfectly. But I've gotten lazy, so using "upd" means less characters to type in the terminal, especially if I'm tired or sleepy. :D
Also, I didn't know aliases can be stored in .bash_aliases. When I was exploring that option for the first time, I was told aliases must be put in .bashrc and that's where I've been keeping them ever since.

Also, I didn't know aliases can be stored in .bash_aliases.

Oh yes... Not only that, you can have multiple alias files and switch between them with "source ~/.bash_aliases" or "source ~bash_aliases2" or the likes. An article explaining all this is on my list of articles to write, but I've not done the article yet. I have to figure out a decent way to explain it and then I can write it.

Members online