Updates

charlie.corder

Reaction score
Credits
Greetings everyone,
So many times I see questions about updating the Linux system installed on your computer,
especially from someone new to Linux.
I use Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria as my main machine.
As a former Windows user, I understand what it is like to go through the transition to Linux.
I am just an ordinary computer user.
What I have found is that in order to keep my machine up and running well, I should update
as often as necessary. In Linux it is easy to do.
I'll show each step.
Screenshot at 2024-02-03 08-13-38.png

On the bottom, in the panel, on the right side there is a shield with a red dot on it. If the red dot is missing, there are no new updates.
Then click on the shield and the next picture will show up.

Screenshot at 2024-02-03 08-50-12.png

On this screen you will see all the updates available. I just click on "Install Updates".

Next comes this:
Screenshot at 2024-02-03 08-50-56.png

You must put your password in the box. After doing so the next thing happens.

Screenshot at 2024-02-03 08-51-21.png

All done.
That's all there is to it.
Hope this is helpful.
Old Geezer
Tango Charlie

First thing I do before using my computer is check for updates.
If any updates are available I install them just takes a minute.

In Linux it is easy to do.
In Linux Mint it is easy to do. But not all distos have an update manager. Still, it is very easy to check for updates in OSs without an update manager.

1) Open Synaptic
2) Click "Reload"
3) After the new package info is downloaded click "Mark all upgrades"
4) If there are updates, they will show up in a new window in the center of the screen, click "Mark"
5) Click "Apply," then "Apply" again
6) Done.

Last edited:
Puppy's model is a wee bit different. She doesn't HAVE an 'update' system, as such; because each Puppy release is so small - and is designed, moreover, as what amounts to a 'frozen snapshot in time' (and is super easy to install, too), all we do is to delete the current build and replace it with the next one along.......which contains newer/more up-to-date versions of everything.

Takes about 5 minutes to accomplish. In addition, although many will be horrified at not having a constant stream of updates offered, Puppy is inherently safe due to the way each and every individual session gets 'saved' at the user's discretion.......either at regular, timed intervals; manually, where the user decides WHEN (or IF) they wish to 'save'; or as a permanent 'Live' session, where every session is allowed to simply evaporate into cyberspace. At the next boot, the user is presented with what amounts to a brand-new, squeaky-clean install again (loaded into the freshly-created virtual RAM-disk, once again, from unmodifiable read-only files).

The 'portable', self-contained browser/app ecosystem which I helped to pioneer for Puppy, especially if run from a flash drive or other removable external storage medium, helps enormously with keeping everything 'safe'.....the more so if browsers, in particular, are configured to auto-clear cache, browsing history, etc, at shutdown. In almost a decade with "our Pup", I've yet to be 'compromised' in any way, shape or form..!

Even for mainstream distros, the updates are offered.......yet are never forced onto the user in the way that Windows does. The whole process is SO much more civilized & refined.....

Thanks for the 'walk-through', Charlie. I'm sure many will appreciate it.

Mike. :D

Last edited:
The Mint Update Manager is the best...just wait till you see the orange circle...that tells you updates are available and install all updates.

You can click Refresh...the Update Manager will check for any other updates like Package Updates and Flatpak updates too.

There are other things you can also do with the Update Manager by clicking...Edit and View. One of the first things you should do after installing Mint is change your Mirrors to get the fastest download speeds for your Updates.

You can do this by clicking...Edit...Software Sources...it's a good idea to do this every now and then.
m1212.gif

The update to Firefox 123.0 (64-bit) on Linux Mint 20.2 took a very long time. I have noticed this occurs for every Firefox update. Can anything be done to improve this?
Always,
Wildman

Does this happen with other browser updates?....or just firefox?...does it happen for other updates which are equivalent in size to the firefox update?.....approx 240mb, I think

The update to Firefox 123.0 (64-bit) on Linux Mint 20.2 took a very long time. I have noticed this occurs for every Firefox update.
This appears to be thing lately as there are a lot of posts about it on the Mint forum. Have you switched to a local mirror?

I will also ask how it is that you're updating, specifically?

There are reports on reddit.com.....slow updates etc

"
Bit of a mint noob here. Trying to update Mint and it's extremely slow so I changed the mirror to a faster one, I go to restart the update and it's still slow. I check the software sources again and the mirror reset to default on a much slower one. Any ideas what's wrong?"

"". I'm trying to do a clean install on a recently acquired laptop, the update is about 70% complete and now says it's going to take another 12hrs to finish. At first I thought there was something wrong with either my network or the laptop... Then I went to do the most recent update for Firefox on my primary machine and it said "4hrs remaining" for just a few Mb.""

" I had multiple failed updates when trying to reinstall so must be under maintenance"

"

So, its a mirrors thing

I use the update manager. It also sometimes happens with updating Chromium. It appears to happen with these WEB browsers as other updates go rather quickly. I also have fast speed internet with Spectrum. I use the repository that is closets to my location.
Always,
Wildman

Have you switched to a local mirror
As I am in the UK, I use Mint mirrors from the university of Kent, as I use LMDE my Debian base comes from their only UK mirror

Each Distro has their own update procedure. Some Like Mint, Ubuntu, and others make it quite easy and there is no excuse for having a system that is not up to date. I've always liked the terminal method, but that is just me. Hope you all enjoy the progress Linux has made over these many years. I can remember when there was no such thing as update managers and you had to check yourself if programs/ packages were up to date. It's come a long way since then. Enjoy!

Last edited:
I noticed the download speed went up an down like a yo yo so I am thinking it is their server causing this. I use Duke University repository.
Always,
Wildman

I've always liked the terminal method, but that is just me

Me too. I only run major updates once a month, accompanied by Timeshift snapshots.

Om, say, Mint I use a combination of the two.

I use Update Manager to find my fastest local update mirrors for both Ubuntu and Mint, change to the fastest and then slip over to Terminal, where I run a small bash script to do the voodoo.

Mirrors used could include any of a dozen or more around Australia, but sometimes New Zealand or Noumea (New Caledonia).

Wiz

I update from anywhere to 3x a day to 10x a day because it just annoys me when I have updates that aren't installed.

Members online

Latest posts