Unmet dependencies

C8A82EF1-CCDB-4E96-AF9D-065D225C821D.jpeg

This is what I got after reboot
I guess enough from me, doing reinstall

Last edited:

This is why Kali is NOT a good choice for Newbies!
Debian package manager APT will probably be necessary to fix this mess but OP probably does not know it

Looking at the output there is missing firmware thus the reason why the wifi and display manager didn't load.

***Some things in Kali Linux are not installed and one has to go get those Debian pkg's and install them.***
And some things (like the wireless: just one example) is disabled by default.

I'm not so sure that APT could fix this system because their are so many unmet dependencies and maybe broken pkg's and missing firmware.

Last edited:
This is why Kali is NOT a good choice for Newbies!
Debian package manager APT will probably be necessary to fix this mess but OP probably does not know it
I completely agree:-

I ran Parrot for a while after running Slackware for 9 years and it still threw me a learning curve.
With Parrot I had to edit the sources list because one of the repos wasn't correct.
Well, I wanted to install cool-retro-term, then something else not very important I don't recall now, but either way - when I'm gonna need somehing important it would be good I'm able to install it and now I can't...

Yes, I'm new lo linux. Not absolutely new - have Fusion VM with Kali on my mac laptop, but used it only to...play around a bit?
Long story short:
I'm studying cybersecurity and in near future we are going to go pentest and ethical hacking modules. We do have ready environments in SaaS for studying and labs, but they are limited and are is not a full OS. My mac Air is already a lag-machine so I had to buy a new laptop anyway, and since I hate windows and macbook with insides I need would cost me a kidney - I chose laptop with Kali linux preinstalled.
:)
I tried to install cool-retro-term too on my Debian 11 box and it had like 30 or more dependencies so I didn't pursue it.

Have you tried Parrot OS?

From the screenshot at #21 I hark back to the "pre-installed" issue.

Kali does not ship by default with Lightdm, it ships with GNOME's gdm3.

So reinstall is your better option.

Alexee wrote:
I tried to install cool-retro-term too on my Debian 11 box and it had like 30 or more dependencies so I didn't pursue it.
I had a similar response to the dependencies, but did load it. Didn't find it "cool" though, so removed it.

If you want cool and retro, you probably already have xterm installed - and that's almost 40 years old.

How did you know that? :)
Indeed, xterm is my usual terminal.

I searched and read the blurb for Wikipedia that showed up on the side. I knew it was ancient, but not how old. It's 39 years old right now. I suspect that means it'll turn 40 this year.

I do not actually know stuff like that off the top of my head, I just knew that xterm was REALLY old. So, I looked it up.

Let us know how your fresh installation goes-
Yes guys, I'll post right away I'll do it
got to do my studying and have little time to play around with installations and other shizzle-wizzle stuff I was doing last few days already :)

SO...

Did the reinstall, everything was very smooth and easy, and the biggest my fear of absent keyboard and touchpad drivers did not come true.
Nevertheless... I decided to listen to clever people of this forum and pick a more newby-friendly distro, and chose Mint. Installed Kali as a VM in Virtualbox and it is ready for play around with tools when I'll need them.
Must say - the level of sophistication in Mint is like... how to say... well, in comparison Windows and Mac nervously smoking around the corner biting elbows. No really - I got a picture enthusiasts try more than people who get money for development.
I like it. I'm stayin'.
THANK YA'LL FOR HELP AND PATIENCE ;)

Hi!

Stumbled on a problem. Update made with no issues, but then I sudo upgrade and error party begins. Could not find a solution, just going circles ending up with no yield with options suggested within google.
What to do? I literaly cannot install anything. Help! :)View attachment 14527
Have you tried using the autoremove command? I just went though this trying to get all the drivers for my GPU. I did an autoremove command then sudo apt remove for each one and here's the important part, after the last "remove" you need to reboot from the terminal without doing anything else. Don't ask me why that works, it just did. I went in a loop where I had supposedly removed them, then they all came right back, until I did a reboot they way I described.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts