Paint like alternatives for Mint

JohnJ

Reaction score
Credits
Hello all. Hope I am in the right forum area. I have the latest (as of 2 weeks ago) Linux Mint on my PC. I am looking for a similar program to the old windows Paint program that I can run on Mint. I just want something basic so that I can import an image from my photo stack and draw lines, arrows and occasional text into the image. I tried Pinta but it keeps crashing - looked through the forums and there's lots about something called mono that's missing, needs updating, yada, yada. Much to complicated for me to follow. I looked at Gimp but my socks flew off across the room. So I am thinking maybe KolourPaint? I want something simple if possible. Any suggestions gratefully received/ Cheers

I don't know if one of these will fit the bill, [most will be in the Mint repository via the software manager]
  • Pinta → drawing tools, image filters, colour adjustment tools, multiple image layers
  • KolourPaint → easy-to-use paint program for KDE, similar to Microsoft Paint
  • MyPaint → freehand drawing with extensive brush library, full screen mode, and pressure-sensitive tablet support
  • Tux Paint → child-friendly, game-like drawing program
  • Drawpile → collaborative drawing program
  • mtPaint → pixel art and indexed palette images, ideal for detailed icon design
  • GIMP → advanced image editor similar to Adobe Photoshop

I don't know if one of these will fit the bill, [most will be in the Mint repository via the software manager]
  • Pinta → drawing tools, image filters, colour adjustment tools, multiple image layers
  • KolourPaint → easy-to-use paint program for KDE, similar to Microsoft Paint
  • MyPaint → freehand drawing with extensive brush library, full screen mode, and pressure-sensitive tablet support
  • Tux Paint → child-friendly, game-like drawing program
  • Drawpile → collaborative drawing program
  • mtPaint → pixel art and indexed palette images, ideal for detailed icon design
  • GIMP → advanced image editor similar to Adobe Photoshop
Thanks Brick. Will give some of them a go. Except for Pinta (it keeps crashing) and Gimp blows my socks off. Cheers John

Krita is also an extremely good image/graphics editor.

Of course, if JJ really wants MSPaint, he could run it.....under WINE. I've had it installed for years in Puppy.....though I wouldn't really recommend installing WINE just for this, since you're looking at around half-a-GB worth of Windows emulation for a 400 kb app.

I have WINE installed for a number of Windows apps I got handy with under Win XP, and never really found equivalents for in Linux. I don't use 'em often.....and some have even been ported to Linux, yet they just don't seem to work quite the same. So, I run them under WINE....

Screenshot-405.png

GIFCap-65.gif

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
Try

or

In Firefox they work great for me and the second one also runs from a local folder if you save the webpage as complete.

Vektor

Last edited:
Try the Software Manager...heaps to try.
1715128205068.png

1715128236353.gif

Members online

Latest posts