Unable to install Linux

Force shutdown was initiated. so far, installation was perfect and on linux mint.

You want to avoid that. It's not good for the file system. That's why there's a shutdown process.

As mentioned above, there's a terminal command or three that will maybe shut the device down. It's worth trying those as a stopgap.

Worst case, typically used for frozen system, is a set of magic keys and the word 'BUSIER' in reverse - that is REISUB.

I realize that the previous sentence is gibberish a a new Linux user. Fortunately, I've also written this:

That'll explain it for you. That will perform a 'graceful shutdown', albeit with a hammer instead of finesse.

Just smashing and holding the power button is a bad idea as it may lead to data corruption, loss of data, and even potentially corrupting the file system. It's much like Windows in those regards. There are other file systems that I'm told are more forgiving, but I'm assuming you're using the default Ext4.

You want to avoid that. It's not good for the file system. That's why there's a shutdown process.

As mentioned above, there's a terminal command or three that will maybe shut the device down. It's worth trying those as a stopgap.

Worst case, typically used for frozen system, is a set of magic keys and the word 'BUSIER' in reverse - that is REISUB.

I realize that the previous sentence is gibberish a a new Linux user. Fortunately, I've also written this:

That'll explain it for you. That will perform a 'graceful shutdown', albeit with a hammer instead of finesse.

Just smashing and holding the power button is a bad idea as it may lead to data corruption, loss of data, and even potentially corrupting the file system. It's much like Windows in those regards. There are other file systems that I'm told are more forgiving, but I'm assuming you're using the default Ext4.
will keep that in mind. but updating the kernal per the link osprey sent in the other thread fixed all issues and it is able to shutdown normally.

Well done !

Nice outcome.

@xp4eternity with this thread and your wifi thread (and later your wine one), as they are solved you can return to the first post you made in each and choose to edit the title to include "solved" as such

nYSKHvh.png

Thanks

Wizard

Hi, I am unable to install Linux on my Dell XPS 15 9530. Im not sure if my message was deleted after i did an edit to my post. I burned it to a usb via Rufus and as of now, it makes it to the GRUB screen which is followed by a "" line writing 5 errors. After that, it goes to the boot screen and after that, the "" is back blinking and after that, the boot screen again. from there, it doesent go any further.
As per the latest updates, Dell does not support installation of the Linux on the XPS 15 9530. It means you might encounter some hardware compatibility issues, especially with the newer components like the i9-13900H processor and RTX 4070 graphics card.

However, based on community reports and forums, it seems possible to install Linux on this model with some workarounds. Here are some steps you can try:

1. Identify the Error Messages:

While you mentioned seeing a series of "blank lines" with errors, it's crucial to capture the exact error messages displayed. Please try to note down the complete wording or take a picture if possible. These messages will give valuable clues about the root cause of the installation failure.

2. Check BIOS Settings:

Ensure your BIOS is set to allow booting from USB devices. You can usually access the BIOS by pressing F2 or F12 during startup.
Enable UEFI boot mode if available.
Disable Secure Boot (if you're comfortable doing so). This security feature can sometimes interfere with Linux installations.

Also, you can select boot order and set bootable device. The screenshot is attached for it.

3. Choose a Compatible Linux Distribution:

While newer versions of Ubuntu (22.04 and 23.10) may work with some tinkering, community reports suggest better compatibility with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. Other distributions like Fedora or Linux Mint might also be worth exploring.

4. Download the Latest Installation Media:

Make sure you're using the latest official ISO image for your chosen Linux distribution and download it directly from the source website.

Attachments

• Clipboard - January 25, 2024 6_06 PM.png
    Clipboard - January 25, 2024 6_06 PM.png
    53.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts