Unable to install Linux

xp4eternity

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I am unable to install Linux on my Dell XPS 15 9530. Im not sure if my message was deleted after i did an edit to my post. I burned it to a usb via Rufus and as of now, it makes it to the GRUB screen which is followed by a "" line writing 5 errors. After that, it goes to the boot screen and after that, the "" is back blinking and after that, the boot screen again. from there, it doesent go any further.

Update: So while i was in the middle of force shutting down my laptop, the linux boot screen (which was frozen) lit up again, then after that, the same error prompts show up followed. I managed to get into linux but the issue now (which might had been the culprit) is the USB i used. its only 4 GB and linux needs 16 GB. I have a 32 gb usb but it doesent want to work for some random reasons. let me try to revive that usb and use Balena Etcher this time. will circle back with an update.

The usb stick you were using is more than big enough....4gb is fine for the bootable usb stick

It is only when you double click on the "install Linux Mint" that the actual hard drive requires a minimum of 16GB.....it actually needs much more than that, but that will get it installed. Then you need a lot more space for /home, apps etc etc etc

You may be better off telling us just what pc you have, and its specs...ram, hard drive, make and model of the pc itself etc etc....what is on there now , etc

You seem to be rushing....slow down.

Update: So i did the burn via Balena Etcher with the 32 GB usb. it turns out that it did not have a drive letter which explained why it wasnt working. same routine with the boot and only got 3 errors not 5. the boot screen stayed there for a while and now its at the stationary "_".
The usb stick you were using is more than big enough....4gb is fine for the bootable usb stick

It is only when you double click on the "install Linux Mint" that the actual hard drive requires a minimum of 16GB.....it actually needs much more than that, but that will get it installed. Then you need a lot more space for /home, apps etc etc etc

You may be better off telling us just what pc you have, and its specs...ram, hard drive, make and model of the pc itself etc etc....what is on there now , etc

You seem to be rushing....slow down.
yea, to load yes but not to install. Dell XPS 15 9530, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD. Anything else i should mention? And yea, ive been with this issue since yesterday which explains why im in a "rush"

which explains why im in a "rush"
it probably also explains why you double posted. Don't do that...you will get the Moderator cranky....that is never a good thing to do.

Installing Linux Mint is usually a 20 minute procedure. So something is definitely going astray

Did you verify the Linux Mint download?....where did the download come from ?

download from the link below and make sure to verify the download

Since i already created the bootable media, went ahead and restarted and got into linux, Problem now: it cant find the disk to install.

Attachments

• DSC00031.JPG
    DSC00031.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 140
The usb stick is still in the pc.....yes?....don't take it out, yet

The Linux that is running now is called the 'Live" version......on the desktop there will be an icon named "Install Linux Mint"

Double click on that.....follow the prompts.

If you are asked in the process if you wish to install media drivers etc etc etc....tick Yes.

NOTE::
DO you intend to fill the whole drive with Linux???

IS WINDOWS STILL ON THERE ??......If you choose to use the whole drive , IT WILL WIPE WINDOWS COMPLETELY

It still in the PC. Im in the Install Linux Mint on the Installation type Part. See the image i posted above. I assume there are supposed to be the storage partitions

Last edited:
The Linux mint installer will take care of partitioning automatically

Are you wiping windows ...or using the entire dis for Linux ?

Which one did you click ?

installer-install.png

Is there a button at the bottom of the page to click..'back' ..?

Members online

Latest posts