Unable to install Linux

I would use GParted to try and get a look at the existing partition layout. GParted can be run from the "Live" .iso image of Linux Mint
not going that route. i just want to wipe windows and install linux. the reason i had to load windows was to get cinammon 21.2 in order to test if thats the case.
We need to make this clear. Windows is still on the pc you are trying to Install Linux Mint on.....Correct ?

If that is the case, I would very definitely follow @Brickwizard's instructions as well as @osprey's instructions as well

if installing Linux clean [deleting everything on the drive] make sure there are no hidden partitions, particularly at the start of the drive as this will stop Linux installing
The smartest way to do this, is to boot to the usb stick with Linux Mint, on the desktop click on menu and begin typing in GParted...click on it to open it & fill in your password....and then wait for gparted to finish examining the drive etc.
It will show your nvme drive
Take a screenshot and post it here so we can see the partition set up on that drive.
Unless you have RAID, (that is a redundancy set up with, usually, multiple hard drives), the machine should be set to AHCI......IMPORTANT****
If there's a BIOS/UEFI setting for "Windows" or "Other" or maybe "Legacy" or even "Unix", choose the item that is not "Windows". If "Unix" is there, choose that.
Look carefully for this.

Then proceed to install and see what happens

if you still get no joy, I would do two things.

1. I would use GParted to totally format that nvme drive, to ext4
2. I would go to bios again and make sure that quick start and secure boot are both Off

Then....boot to the usb stick and have another go

If you need any help in GParted, just ask.

If there is a BIOS/UEFI upgrade for the Dell XPS i5 9530 machine, then, if failure to install persists after making the various alterations suggested, then it's probably advisable to upgrade the BIOS/UEFI if that's possible. The instructions are usually on the factory site where the files for the upgrade can be downloaded. One needs to be very careful and precise in following the factory instructions with great attention to detail when upgrading BIOS/UEFIs. It mightn't need to be done yet, but is an option if continued failure occurs.

OP is running a Dell XPS 15 9530....at least the info/download/info will be available, if it comes to that.

Here's hoping it doesn't

Good morning,
is this is a fairly new machine ? Thinks....
The machine may have an M2 slot but is it NVME compatible [not all laptops are] if fairly recent this should not be a problem.
Check the onboard settings, Windows quick start [fast boot] OFF, windows secure boot OFF
my desktop has NVME ON Raid OFF
check for integrity of Drive and partitions, if installing Linux clean [deleting everything on the drive] make sure there are no hidden partitions, particularly at the start of the drive as this will stop Linux installing
The machine was purchased August of 2023. Yes, It is NVME compatible, Fastboot i only have 3 options: minimal, thorough, and Auto. Secureboot should be off but imma double check.

Unless you have RAID, (that is a redundancy set up with, usually, multiple hard drives), the machine should be set to AHCI.

If there's a BIOS/UEFI setting for "Windows" or "Other" or maybe "Legacy" or even "Unix", choose the item that is not "Windows". If "Unix" is there, choose that.

Then start a new install and see how that goes.
Imma check.

I would use GParted to try and get a look at the existing partition layout. GParted can be run from the "Live" .iso image of Linux Mint

We need to make this clear. Windows is still on the pc you are trying to Install Linux Mint on.....Correct ?

If that is the case, I would very definitely follow @Brickwizard's instructions as well as @osprey's instructions as well

The smartest way to do this, is to boot to the usb stick with Linux Mint, on the desktop click on menu and begin typing in GParted...click on it to open it & fill in your password....and then wait for gparted to finish examining the drive etc.
It will show your nvme drive
Take a screenshot and post it here so we can see the partition set up on that drive.

Look carefully for this.

Then proceed to install and see what happens

if you still get no joy, I would do two things.

1. I would use GParted to totally format that nvme drive, to ext4
2. I would go to bios again and make sure that quick start and secure boot are both Off

Then....boot to the usb stick and have another go

If you need any help in GParted, just ask.
will keep that in mind.

If there is a BIOS/UEFI upgrade for the Dell XPS i5 9530 machine, then, if failure to install persists after making the various alterations suggested, then it's probably advisable to upgrade the BIOS/UEFI if that's possible. The instructions are usually on the factory site where the files for the upgrade can be downloaded. One needs to be very careful and precise in following the factory instructions with great attention to detail when upgrading BIOS/UEFIs. It mightn't need to be done yet, but is an option if continued failure occurs.
i upgraded the BIOS to 1.9.0 yesterday.

""and i clicked "-" at the installation type window""
The installation window looks like this...
installer-install.png

there is no "-"
I also got this screen instead of the other one i was getting.

Installation was a success, rebooted and as of now, idk if this is normal but the "_" is blinking for like 4 minutes. no movement from there since.

Force shutdown was initiated. so far, installation was perfect and on linux mint.

On reboot, did you take the usb stick out of the usb slot?

Let us know how it proceeds

On reboot, did you take the usb stick out of the usb slot?

Let us know how it proceeds
That message never happened, but upon force shutdown, linux is working. i did continue in a new thread regarding monitor and wi-fi issues. (and potentially brightness control issues when not connected to the dock).

For the time being, you could employ the terminal to shutdown or reboot.

question?.....does reboot work in the normal manner ??

ctrl+alt+T opens terminal...or just type terminal in menu and the right click on the name terminal and select add to panel......so a shortcut will be placed in the panel (task bar....different terminology)

Once oyu have entered the commands you need (sut down now etc etc) into terminal, you will not need to keep entering them when you wish to shutdown etc
Just open terminal, hit the up arrow, and the most recnt command will appear....hit the up arrow again and the next most recent will appear and so on

This does not fix the problem of why it will not shut down, however.

That has me stumped (for now)

Can you tell me which kernel your LM is running ?

Code:
uname -r

copy and paste this into terminal

btw....have you installed all updates available ?......most important.

oops....just noticed one of your topics....no internet.

Members online