Ubuntu becoming like Windows

• Thread starter Deleted member 161260
  • Start date

Ubuntu is more and more becoming like windows.
Under the hood, most distributions run in a similar fashion, the difference between them are the pre-installed packages/apps, the other difference is the hood or desktop environment, with more people wanting to change from windows, the newer desktops are becoming a bit blingy and tend to look a little more like windows, but behind them is usually something like XFCE or Mate, or other well established Linux desktop managers,, if you want a different look you have around 20-30 different desktop builds to choose from traditional basic/functional Linux look, to hashmac [apple look alike] and the newer windows looking.

a

Last edited by a moderator:
Ubuntu is useless.
If you are going to rant at least take the time to explain and argue why you see it that way because a topic of three words doesn't add anything useful to the forums or give the room for discussion.

Under the hood, most distributions run in a similar fashion, the difference between them are the pre-installed packages/apps, the other difference is the hood or desktop environment, with more people wanting to change from windows, the newer desktops are becoming a bit blingy and tend to look a little more like windows, but behind them is usually something like XFCE or Mate, or other well established Linux desktop managers,, if you want a different look you have around 20-30 different desktop builds to choose from traditional basic/functional Linux look, to hashmac [apple look alike] and the newer windows looking.
Don't forget there is Window managers too, which you can customize even more if you want to but it's time taking sometimes. :D;)

Ubuntu is useless.
Erm.....in what way? Care to elaborate? What were you expecting to find?

It isn't one of the most popular Linux distros in the world for nothing, y'know..... :rolleyes:

Mike. ;)

Nonsense in saying "Ubuntu is useless" or saying "Ubuntu is becoming like windows".

Ubuntu is innovative
and always has been which is why there are some of the distros that there are.

Millions of Ubuntu users would be surprised to learn their distro of choice is useless.

Ubuntu becoming like Windows​

Not quite. Not yet.

Unless something has changed since I last looked up on it, they are still asking for permission before they take your data. But if you're referring it being slow and bloated, you may have a point there. But even on that, I would rather say that its in a "state of decline" over the fact of it being horrible already. It most certainly its not yet low to the point of windows, where it sometimes seems like it's waiting for Microsoft's committee to approve the mouseclick you just made.

Ubuntu Studio is useless.
Fixed it for you.

But seriously why start a thread for a childish statement like this? Why did I modify somebody else's quotation just above? LOL if Kubuntu were also slow on my computer, no matter where it resided and how I booted into it, then I would have agreed with the original statement. Kubuntu LTS has actually been one of the best things I've had going. After doing a few updates I have kept it completely offline and made sure I removed any trace of "snapd". OTOH it doesn't have much installed... but I like it that way. I would like in at least one other Linux OS installation I have that trick Kubuntu does to keep the partitions mounted without having to put down the regular user's or the root password. I know it could be a security crash but...

Ubuntu MATE was pretty good for me too. I wouldn't hesitate installing that again.

I also have Freespire but purposely chose the one based on "Focal Fossa", with KDE Plasma v5.20. It's awesome because, like with my Kubuntu installation, I have limited it to my sensibilities (pretend it's WindowsXP 32-bit with hobby music development).

What a shame Ubuntu Cinnamon was slow on my computer, but it looks great. Sorry KGIII but I wouldn't go near Lubuntu, nor Budgie, and I couldn't get past the log-in screen after installing Xubuntu. Checked out Unity in the ISO once, maybe I'll do that again but it also doesn't interest me. And the enterprise-like edition with GNOME... heh...

One more thing. Neither Ubuntu nor a different Linux OS, based on Debian or not, is becoming like Windows. It's possible to make one look like Windows (or make the desktop behave like on MacOS), and it's possible Linux and Windows might become more like each other. Sadly some people insist in making the secondary stuff behave like the primary as much as possible because it has to do with their comfort most of all. Why do you think there are sick jokes now about the "year of the Linux desktop"? Because it still depends too much on what is done by the ones creating MacOS and Windows. This is IMHO.

Agreed that sometimes Ubuntu behaves as if it was changed to how M$ preferred it. But the same could be said about RHEL and any descendant especially Fedora, responding to what IBM wants at this point. :p

If Ubuntu is useless, try Slackware, or try one of the independent distros like Solus or Void. Try one that is not well-known like Plop OS (from Austria). Once that breaks then don't come suing back to Debian-base, ya know because "it's useless" or because "software is too old".

I prefer LTS "Jammy Jellyfish" and have never tried anything beyond that. There is enough trouble as it is with the Snaps and with the sudden crash boxes that I got quite often on Ubuntu Studio last year.

That guy complain for 3 seconds delay on launching and app, it's irritating how spoiled people can be
You could say that he got spoiled by most distros functioning properly.

You could say that he got spoiled by most distros functioning properly.
I think the problem with snaps is that they doesn't follow the Open-Source Narrative, considering that most Linux users are free and open source enthusiasts is not hard to see where this is going, definitely the problem is not the 3 seconds delay on launch

I think the problem with snaps is that they doesn't follow the Open-Source Narrative, considering that most Linux users are free and open source enthusiasts is not hard to see where this is going, definitely the problem is not the 3 seconds delay on launch
Agreed. Its not the problem, its a symptom of the problem.

I've read a lot of not nice things about Snaps.
I've never used any distro with Snaps until Lubuntu 22.04.2 and that wasn't long enough to come to any conclusion about Snaps.
The only Snap I know that I used was Firefox Snap that came as the default browser on Lubuntu 22.04.2 and it worked okay.
The first time after a restart or power on it did seem to open a little slow but after that it opened as fast as the regular Firefox.
I've never had super fast computers so 3 seconds or so for Firefox to open wouldn't be any big deal to me.

To whom it may concern, I have snap repository & store installed on my PoP!_os distro. It used to work, now it doesn't. TBH it doesn't bother me, though I am not sure I remember... I think it was for some prerequisite component I couldn't find anywhere else for modding a game I'm playing, but I'm not really sure.

Regardless, I can still use the terminal to install snaps if I so desire... which I don't - I really REALLY don't!

Ubuntu has I have said before has an odd habit of crash messages when connecting my Samsung Tablet and then unmounting it. Otherwise found Ubuntu fine to use - bluetooth was easy unlike Debian. So Ubuntu is fine to me, but I prefer Mint which works and don't have any issues.

Sorry KGIII but I wouldn't go near Lubuntu ...
It's because I have EndeavourOS with LXQt and I'm not comfortable with the environment. PCManFM has the proclivity to get on my nerves. After ten tries or more, that's the last one with an ESP of less than 1GB, which is what their Calamares is asking for from "Erase disk" option. o_O

One day last week I wasted four hours at least with Ubuntu Cinnamon. This was to check out GPT4ALL. Very rude of them to not say at installation, instead of after installation that my CPU isn't powerful enough to run it. (crying)

Otherwise the OS was too slow to put up with for much longer. Unlike my previous (first) attempt I was allowed to use apt and do the system update.

EDIT: One thing that I love about Ubuntu. <3 I could always count on it to give me the UEFI entry so I could boot into it easily no matter what is its address.

Last edited:
Ubuntu. Brilliant system.....it works...(most of the time) I still think Linux Mint has the edge on it.....but all of that simply brings about debate which can rage forever...

My take on Ubuntu?
I "get a whiff" of the management attitudes of ubuntu......and it reeks of M'soft

Time will tell.

Members online