Trouble installing windows XP from linux

Sam__TaYLoR99

Reaction score
Credits
I am trying to reinstall windows xp on old laptop with linux on it. When i install it at first with a usb. Then the system reboots but instead of installing the rest of windows xp i get booted into linux. I saw someone on a website install the second part with grub4 but when i go into grub 4 it doesn't give me that option. Do i have to use grub 4 command line or something like that?

There is probably some sort of rescue partition on that system or something like that, best option is probably to live boot from a usb flash drive and delete all the existing partitions on on the hard drive and then try installing Linux again.

There is probably some sort of rescue partition on that system or something like that, best option is probably to live boot from a usb flash drive and delete all the existing partitions on on the hard drive and then try installing Linux again.
Agreed:-
It's happened to me with other partitions and until I used gparted Live to delete those partitions I couldn't install anything including Linux.

Please describe how you are installing Windows XP.

Do you have a bootable CD and a valid Microsoft product key? Are you trying to install from a rescue or recovery partition on the hard drive?

(If you have a bootable CD and a valid product key, I would confirm the CD first to verify that it boots fully, but do not install anything. Next, boot Linux and use the "dd" command to wipe the hard drive partition table. Finally, boot the CD and install Windows XP. I hope you know that you should NEVER connect a Windows XP system to the internet, okay?)

You mean Grub4dos ?

I think you have to wipe the disk clean, start with XP, reboot, then install one of the Pup in the Puppy family, like Fossapup, then install grub4dos before rebooting - grub4dos will recognize both XP & Puppy.
Puppy doesn't mind co-habitate with Windows in a NTFS partition.

I am using a usb with rufus. I checked the 3 boxes below where it makes it easier to install on old hardware. I install the first bit of the xp install. Then it forces me to restart my computer. Then when i restart instead of installing the rest it boots into linux. i have tried deleting all partitions and writing to them to try wipe the linux os from it but it didn't work.

I did

sudo cfdisk /dev/sda
and sdb and sda1

and delted the partitions then i wrote to them

then i did mkfs /dev/sda
and did that for the otther drives because i was told that formats them.

i am trying to install xp from fossapup, I have grub4 already but i don't get option to do full xp install.

I have not had problems when installing windows and Linux on the same machine,[for others, as I do not use windows myself]
for XP your windows partition must be formatted Fats32 or NTFS.
Now the next bit depends on the age of the machine you are trying to install on,
save anything important [pictures, documents etc] to an external source
Wipe the hard-drive completely and format to NTFS, then INSTALL WINDOWS FIRST, when you have it up and running, THEN INSTALL the Linux distribution of your choice., Linux will automatically become the primary or first boot, if you want windows to boot first , then you can usualy change the boot order,
NOTES, if your XP is not labled XP sp3 download sp3 [it is available on some legacy sites] and install that before you add the Linux

Additional note
if you do not have your original XP key [installation password] you can find one by searching Windows XP free key, you will find one that will enable you to make the installation BUT do not allow the XP to connect to the internet as it may get blocked by Microsoft,
XP is years out of date, it is not advisable to use it online

OK, my best advice, download your chosen Linux, burn a bootable ISO, and use the included partition manage or DD command to wipe the hard-drive [do not install Linux at this stage] [ https://www.looklinux.com/how-to-wipe-hard-drive-clean-using-dd-command-in-linux/] this will leave an unformatted clean disc, no need to format it windows will do that as it installs

Rufus has not been behaving well with Linux for a while now [still ok with windows ISO], so for Linux try using Ballina Etcher [ https://balenaetcher.en.softonic.com/ ]
when windows installs, follow my how-to guide when installing your chosen Linux,
When completed if you want windows to have priority search linux + your distribution+ make windows first boot [this is distribution dependent]

From what I recall from personal experience (I had about a year of dual-booting XP with various "Puppies") - in addition to what I've read of other's experiences, you HAVE to install XP to the primary partition. It always expected to be in 'pole-position' on the drive.

One word of advice; if at all possible, DO make sure you disconnect every other drive in your computer while you're installing XP. If you don't, it attempts to 'take-over' every drive on the machine.... :rolleyes:

Mike. ;)

$M does not play well with Linux, when you play with Windows - forget everything Linux even your Rufus, I think there is a Windows version for it. I use Yumi which is Windows based that works for both, so I can be wrong.
You have to set your computer to boot from USB first , or else it will attempt to boot from HDD the 2nd time (or hit the DEL key fast enough).

in addition to what I've read of other's experiences, you HAVE to install XP to the primary partition. It always expected to be in 'pole-position' on the drive.
Yep I agree with your sentiment, the accepted standard is always install your broken windows first

I am trying to reinstall windows xp on old laptop with linux on it.
I'd suggest you to install XP first, then install Linux. When installing XP, just format the whole disk (make sure to back up first) then make room for Linux from within XP, reboot and proceed to install Linux.

$M does not play well with Linux, when you play with Windows - forget everything Linux even your Rufus, I think there is a Windows version for it. I use Yumi which is Windows based that works for both, so I can be wrong.
You have to set your computer to boot from USB first , or else it will attempt to boot from HDD the 2nd time (or hit the DEL key fast enough).
I use Fedora Media Writer. Works like a charm.

Every time I have installed Windows XP, I booted from a CD ROM that has the installer. The package includes a sticker with the product key code to activate it. It may be on the box or on the CD itself. There are different versions of the Windows XP installer - e.g., Home Edition vs. Pro. Some installers come with no service pack or with SP2 or SP3 already included. Be aware.

Booting the Windows XP installer from a USB flash drive will work, but make sure that it is a good, valid copy and not one that has been hacked or modified in some way.
-> Could you have a bad Windows XP installer?

What everyone here recommends is that you:
  • Create the bootable USB drive with the Windows XP installer. Make sure it boots the installer, but don't do anything more yet.
  • Use Linux with the "dd" command to wipe your hard drive completely, including the partition table. This will be the only time you need Linux before you install Windows XP, just so you can wipe (erase) the drive fully. The partitions and partition table will be gone.
    • The link that @Brickwizard suggested in post #11 above has the instructions you need.
  • Boot the Windows XP installer from the USB flash drive. The installer will find your empty drive and format it for Windows XP. (I recommend choosing the NTFS format if you are given a choice.)
  • You will prompted to enter a Product Key for Windows XP.
  • At this point, you should have a running Windows XP on your computer.
    • If you wish, you can add Linux as a 2nd operating system to make your computer "dual boot".
-> Several people have warned you about the danger of connecting Windows XP to the internet. Ignore that advice at your own peril!

(Service Pack 3 may be included in the version of Windows XP that you installed, or you may have installed an earlier version of Windows XP. Download any service pack updates you need on a different "safe" computer, then bring it to your new Windows XP machine on a USB drive. Be sure you get the service packs from Microsoft's website. You must install Service Pack 2 before you can install Service Pack 3.)

Last edited:
From what I recall from personal experience (I had about a year of dual-booting XP with various "Puppies") - in addition to what I've read of other's experiences, you HAVE to install XP to the primary partition. It always expected to be in 'pole-position' on the drive.

One word of advice; if at all possible, DO make sure you disconnect every other drive in your computer while you're installing XP. If you don't, it attempts to 'take-over' every drive on the machine.... :rolleyes:

Mike. ;)
Can i do sudo cfdisk /dev/sda on pup linux and then write to and delete the partitions to clear the drive. Then do i need to do mkfs /dev/sda to the partitions.

Can i do sudo cfdisk /dev/sda on pup linux and then write to and delete the partitions to clear the drive. Then do i need to do mkfs /dev/sda to the partitions.
You mean from Live? I guess you can.

we are running round in circles on this one,
IF you want to multi-boot windows with linux you must install windows first.
so,
1] save all your files and folders you need to keep to an external drive
2] switch off the machine, install the windows ISO, and switch on, it will wipe everything off your drive, if you have a separate service pack install that to windows
3] re-boot and check windows is installed and working ok.
4] not normally necessary for the beginner, here is where you can build your own partitions for Linux [or you can choose the installer to install alongside windows, and it will make its own partitions]
5] install Linux following the distribution developer's recommendations, also install any additional driver pack if offered
6] when Linux is installed, make sure everything is working and install one of the Linux back up systems

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts