Switching to Linux

N.B. Do find and save your Windows 10/11 Key code, Microsoft License, just in case you ever decide to reinstall Windows again.

You wouldn't know how to find the key code would you?

Thanks,
--glenn

Will Linux Ubuntu with kde plasma desktop work 100% effectively and efficiently (I believe it's also known as kubuntu) on a MSI laptop pre-installed with windows 11 home. Model number— modern 15 B13M-407AU as if it was a Linux laptop?.
Did you ever try it and find out? I have the same question

Did you ever try it and find out? I have the same question
I don't have that laptop. However, if you mean in a dual boot it should work and if not you can disable the TPM in the BIOS.
And if there isn't an option in the BIOS to disable the TPM you can fix that in Linux. See the article I wrote in the link below.

Will Linux Ubuntu with kde plasma desktop work 100% effectively and efficiently (I believe it's also known as kubuntu) on a MSI laptop pre-installed with windows 11 home. Model number— modern 15 B13M-407AU as if it was a Linux laptop?.

I can only imagine that Kubuntu would indeed work in the scenario you describe. I cannot think of a reason why it wouldn't.

This guy may give some extra input ... @KGIII

He will 'see' his name and possibly respond.

A better approach would be to open a topic in :https://www.linux.org/forums/general-linux-questions.143/

Simply say what you wish to do, and get input from the general membership (instead of trying in a topic that started in 2013 !)

I have a similar laptop. It has Lubuntu on it, using UEFI mode. I had to make no changes other than to select the device to boot to USB and pick the USB by name (as I recall) during the boot process.

If Lubuntu works on it, Kubuntu should work on it. It was painless.

I very much like and use Kubuntu, it does what I need it to do. I can easily install it on some Laptops, not so easily on others. When you get to the point where it says install, pick the generic video drivers, you can always go back and add the appropriate video drivers after a successful install. The very latest version of Kubuntu is going through numerous frequent updates, so do expect to add the updates as needed. The nice thing about (K)Ubuntu updates, they usually only take two or three minutes and then maybe a reboot. Ubuntu comes in several different flavors, don't be intimidated to try one or all, but limit it to one Distro at a time.

N.B. Do find and save your Windows 10/11 Key code, Microsoft License, just in case you ever decide to reinstall Windows again.
You do not have to save windows keys any longer. 90% are in the BIOS now and automatically retrieved with install of windows. That is why you do not see windows 10 or windows 11 stickers any longer.

I am using MSI for long time/several laptops. Never had an issue with Intel based MSI laptops. In fact after receiving, I never booted windows. Just inserted USB Linux installation image and installed new OS as single system.
Your wlan card is intel so all should work. Currently I have MSI with Tiger Lake.
I do as you do and don't bother with windoze, just put Fedora on it. For customers I always suggest remove the original drive and put in a new one for Linux. This way your original drive with windoze from the mfg is safe. The instant you remove windows, your warranty is void. If you save the old drive with original install, if you need warranty you just swap the drive back in and Poof, you have warranty again.

If the pc has uefi there is a good chance it is in the bios....if you are reinstalling windows you probably wont even need to find it.

When the reinstall takes place windows will find it for you.

UEFI....windows 8 and later...10 and 11

Not all pc manufacturers do this....but most of them do

Once reinstalling Windows10, it couldn't find the Windows License/Product Key. I record all the Windows Product Keys and also save the BitLocker codes too.

You do not have to save windows keys any longer. 90% are in the BIOS now and automatically retrieved with install of windows. That is why you do not see windows 10 or windows 11 stickers any longer.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! Backup anything and everything, including Windows Product Keys, just in case.

I wonder where my Mint Cinnamon product key is. ?
1712898693761.gif

wonder where my Mint Cinnamon product key is. ?
1712898693761.gif
I guess that depends on which rubbish bin was the closest at the time....

I'd forgotten about that product key rubbish...too busy enjoying Linux.
1712900711561.gif

Members online