Surfs Choice - Terminal Preferences?

AlphaObeisance

Reaction score
Credits
I'm just sitting here doing an arch install on one of my devices and I come to the realization that I haven't really given any thought to terminals in a hot second. I used Konsole pretty extensively while I was over on KDE Plasma, but even then, once I discovered Tilix I just sort of quit looking at terminal editors; same way once I started using nano I never went back to VIM.

I'm not one of those performance junkies that has to have every last MB of resources optimally accounted for, so all of the aesthetic features Tilix offers are right up my ally. Transparency, terminal wallpaper, I can make it a minimal terminal with no borders or title bars, I can split and divide it on the fly ect .ect. ect. it's just been a really great terminal editor and I really like it's customization options.

That said, is anyone out there familiar with any potential Tilix contenders I should look into? It'd be a hard sell as to me, Tilix offers both aesthetic beauty with great functionality. But, if there are alternatives that deliver equal too or greater than that of Tilix, I'd very much be interested in checking them out =)

Tilix is nice. I use Terminator quite a bit. I also use Xfce4-terminal.

As a long time dwm user, I’ve been using st (suckless terminal) for much of the last 10 years or so.

But st is an extremely minimalist terminal emulator, it doesn’t even support scroll-back. But tmux does. So I always use tmux’s scroll-back feature.

Terminology also is a great terminal emulator. Part of the Enlightenment desktop environment, but it can be installed as a standalone terminal emulator. Terminology has a bunch of unique bits of extra functionality built in.

Like the ability to view icons next to listings in the terminal via its tyls command. You can view images and/or play video/audio files in the terminal using tycat. And set an image, or video as a wallpaper in the background of the terminology window using tybg. It’s pretty neat.
I used it for a while, but the novelty soon wore off for me. I like things to be as minimal as possible.

I am boring
I dont give a fig what terminal emulator Installs with which distribution, or what I can change it to, as long as it works.

nRemoteNG and / or Putty with a side of tmux once I'm connected.

Thanks for all the responses everyone!

There's just something about the customization options Tilix offers that make my work space feel more like "home".

I'm one of those dweebs that figures if i'm essentially going to live behind a computer screen, 16-20 hours a day then it better look good and make bring me some form of joy through aesthetic appeal than to stare at a blank screen with retina burning text/color lol.

Terminal wallpaper, transparency, color, border and bar options all of that are just incredible lol.

I am boring
I dont give a fig what terminal emulator Installs with which distribution, or what I can change it to, as long as it works.

You're like my father in law. Dude likes using computers, but it's just a bunch of metal that does a bunch of functions to him. There's pretty much nothing "personal" about his machines lol. Idk how ya'll do it :D

You're like my father in law. Dude likes using computers, but it's just a bunch of metal
My set-ups are customised as much as I need them/want them to be, but I spend enough time on this and other fora helping others, that now just let it flow past, if it anin't broke then it don't need fixing

Members online