""solved"" Can’t install Linux Ubuntu

Stas

Reaction score
Credits
Hello I installed Linux Ubuntu next to Linux Manjaro but when I trying to login in Linux Ubuntu I have message:

error: no such device: 9d6b3069-5424-40c1-b37d-e8bfe055bde9.
error: file "/boot/vmlinuz-5.8.0-53-generic "
error not found: you need to load the kernel first. Press any key to continue…

What can I do with it?

Last edited:

captain-sensible

Reaction score
Credits
can you still boot up and login to manjaro ?

Did you run updates on Manjaro ; did you see any mention of kernel being updated in manajaro ?

brickwizard

Reaction score
Credits
come to the Linux Org forums

We are an un-associated, Independent advice a site for those in need of help with installation problems, those wanting a deeper understanding of Linux and Tech's needing more advanced advice,

We are a voluntary organisation our members are scattered across the four corners of the world and every time zone, so please accept that you may not get a quick answer.

Just a few things to remember
We are an international board so we ask that all post be in English [if you think your English is not very good , fine give it a try or use one of the translator programs [ DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator is recommended]
When asking for help
Please state the make and model number of your machine or its specification [some problems may be equipment specific]
Please tell us which distribution and build number you are having problems with [example Ubuntu 18.1]
Explain what your problem is and what [if anything] you have tried to remedy it yourself

Finally Linux is not Windows, It will require the newcomer to invest a little time and effort going through a learning curve so please don’t give up, kick off your shoes, grab a drink and enjoy the ride.

Bwiz
Did you check the integrity of your download and check sum prior to burning the installation medium?

OP
S

Stas

Reaction score
Credits
can you still boot up and login to manjaro ?

Did you run updates on Manjaro ; did you see any mention of kernel being updated in manajaro ?

When I put "boot from manjaro" in the bios, ubuntu does not work, but manjaro works. If I put "boot from ubuntu" in the bios, then ubuntu works, but manjaro does not work.

captain-sensible

Reaction score
Credits
Manjaro is based on Arch, which is what i'm now running but not its got some quirks. I read its using a customized version of grub.

Since you installed Ubuntu after Manjaro ; i would have thought Ubuntu would have installed grub and the boot menu context would be from Ubuntu.

captain-sensible

Reaction score
Credits
When I put "boot from manjaro" in the bios, ubuntu does not work, but manjaro works. If I put "boot from ubuntu" in the bios, then ubuntu works, but manjaro does not work.
is your PC uefi and you have a FAT 32 esp partition ? From ubuntu you can try sudo update-grub

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Did you try it from within Ubuntu as @captain-sensible suggested? What were the results from that command?

You can also try boot-repair, which should search for multiple operating systems and try to fix the boot.

There's also an application called 'grub-customizer', though it is pretty advanced - but well documented.

captain-sensible

Reaction score
Credits
@KGIII
There's also an application called 'grub-customizer', though it is pretty advanced - but well documented.

I've read Manjaro is using some form of customized grub and i've also seen that maybe due to that customization that Manajaro users shouldn't touch grub-customizer

Some sites don't correctly show the date something was posted- so that may be current or old and not applicable[/QUOTE]

OP
S

Stas

Reaction score
Credits
Did you try it from within Ubuntu as @captain-sensible suggested? What were the results from that command?

Result from this command is:
Code:
Sourcing file '/etc/default/grub ' 
Sourcing file '/etc/default/grub.d/init-select. cfg' 
A grub configuration file is generated 
linux image found: /boot/vmlinuz-5.11.0-22-generic 
initrd image found: / boot/initrd. img-5.11.0-22-generic 
linux image found: /boot/vmlinuz-5.11.0-16-generic 
initrd image found: / boot/initrd. img-5.11.0-16-generic 
Found Windows Boot Manager on /dev/[email protected]/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi 
Found Manjaro Linux (21.0.7) on /dev/sda4
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings 

completed

brickwizard

Reaction score
Credits
Now I can use ubuntu.
Glad to see your fixed up.. please edit the title of your first post to include ""solved""

captain-sensible

Reaction score
Credits
I don't know for sure if I have uefi and FAT32, but I executed the command that you wrote
yes your motherboard is uefi and you have an efi on parition /dev/sda IF I looked at your boot repair output correctly

captain-sensible

Reaction score
Credits
just tried it from Ventoy ; it boots up fine. Release says bionic beaver 18.0x

so i now have these to choose from on same stick "

ISO
├── boot-repair-disk-64bit.iso
├── clonezilla-live-20200703-focal-amd64.iso
├── ophcrack-vista-livecd-3.6.0.iso
├── ophcrack-xp-livecd-3.6.0.iso
├── rescatux-0.73.iso
└── super_grub2_disk_hybrid_2.04s1.iso