An Article from It's Foss About 24.04 LTS

kc1di

Reaction score
Credits
I found this Article (Rage) informative about Ubuntu's latest release. I was one of the early adopters of ubuntu back in the day.
But have been disappointed by it for quite some time now. Mint which is based on Ubuntu is good, But I don't like the direction Ubuntu has been going in over the last few releases.
Some of what is said in the article is crude. So It would not be my way of putting it. But stay informed.

For years, Ubuntu has been promoting its 'universal packaging format' Snaps over 'Universal Operating System' Debian's deb packages.

I stopped reading here and agree with the author.
Snaps are evil by design.

Unless there is authority (but there isn't) to verify snap packages I'm not going to adopt this innovation no matter how cool or convenient it might be.

"" it is extremely disappointing to see this sheer disregard for the user experience. ""
""The sheer audacity of not caring for its users reeks of Microsoft-esque arrogance.""

That says it all. That m'soft esque, arrogant attitude presented itself to me some years ago....and has done nothing but worsen since then.

Onward and Upward, Linux Mint.

I'm not wanting any arguments.

I installed Lubuntu 24.04 LTS and I have no complaints.

Users should research what they are wanting to install and use prior to the install.

If users don't like Snaps than don't use a Snap based Linux distro.

I run two different Linux distros which use containers and have zero complaints with either of them.

No one held a shotgun to my head and forced me to install them.

After all isn't Linux about choice.

I don't think the complaint is so much about some of the flavors of Ubuntu but the main Distro. I can empathize with the author on some points. But I too at times use Lubuntu and Kubuntu. they are good and you can de-snap them if you want.
I had a real problem in kubuntu with Thunderbird and my favorite browser Vivaldi would not install either so went back to Debian for now. Mint would be a good choice for those that don't like Ubuntu proper. LMDE may be the future of Mint. since more and more Ubuntu is making it difficult to use as a base. But Mint 22 should be out in a couple months. In any event things Change and not always for the better IMHO.

Last edited:
No one held a shotgun to my head and forced me to install them.

After all isn't Linux about choice.
I think problem is that this trend with flatpaks and snaps and stores etc. spreads like a virus to every other distro and DE.
IIRC, this trend was started by Apple with Apple store, and was then soon adopted by Android, by MS with MS store apps, and the virus also spread to Linux world.

If the trend continues it might as well not be a choice in some 50 years ahead.
Stores are invented to increase profits because it's convenient for costumers to discover, purchase and install software.

Heck, there is even KDE store on my Debian lol, it's called "Discover" and I can't remove it because it would uninstall entire Desktop.

Change and not always for the better IMHO.
You hit that nail on the head 100%.

Heck, there is even KDE store on my Debian lol, it's called "Discover" and I can't remove it because it would uninstall entire Desktop.
I can find something I dislike in every Linux distro I've ever installed and use.

As hard as it's been for me to bite my lip about such things I've managed to do so.

I figure Linux is free to use and install on as many computers as a user wants so how can a user complain imo.

I figure Linux is free to use and install on as many computers as a user wants so how can a user complain imo.
Wait until you see purchasable software in those "stores" ;)

Mark my words! and if that doesn't happen I'll gift 100€ to anyone who doubts and proves otherwise in time. (hopefully I'll still be alive to fulfill my "word" lmao)

Yep, Discover is a KDE thing. I don't use it much. Still use apt and always install synaptic. My choice. But I can see a day when synaptic will not be installable on some distros. :(

Last edited:
Still use apt and always install synaptic. My choice. But I can see a day when synaptic will not be installable on some distros. :(
I like Synaptic and it's my preferred choice.

Seems any Linux distro QT based uses a different software manager.

I believe Lubuntu uses Discover also but uncertain since I installed the minimal version and just use the terminal.

I like Abhishek Prakash's work, been watching his site for maybe 4 years or more.

First time I have seen him cuss.

I'm using Xubuntu 24.04 as I felt like a change. It seems to be running very well so far on my Thinkpad T420. As for the Snaps I am using the Xubuntu minimal and I chose a firefox appimage instead of the snap. I found snaps very slow to install.

I just keep to a simple only what I need system.

Ok there is a stupid bug that has not been fixed if using Google-chrome on some machines as shown here:

Sorry but that is pretty lazy, as this error was in previous versions. Fixed it using this code and rebooted.
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --reinstall intel-media-va-driver:amd64

I think problem is that this trend with flatpaks and snaps and stores etc. spreads like a virus to every other distro and DE.
IIRC, this trend was started by Apple with Apple store, and was then soon adopted by Android, by MS with MS store apps, and the virus also spread to Linux world.

If the trend continues it might as well not be a choice in some 50 years ahead.
Stores are invented to increase profits because it's convenient for costumers to discover, purchase and install software.

flatpaks are an interesting idea. There is only one "store" (repository) right now, but you could host your own. I think spans are much more opaque.

I remove snap from Ubuntu. I get everything off the traditional repos.

I don't know if the purpose of snap is to promote paid, closed source, software. The merits of those are a wider discussion on how to sustainably fund open source software.

I don't know if the purpose of snap is to promote paid, closed source, software. The merits of those are a wider discussion on how to sustainably fund open source software.
That's probably the only reason I would give a like toward app stores on Linux.
Free software is cool but making it is not free, it takes developer's time and sometimes other resources, so I support paying them.

But, this could be easily abused in the future, many devs could focus on commercial side exactly because of stores which will allow sell of software, so free stuff might not be a thing as much as it is now.

Last edited:
That's probably the only reason I would give a like toward app stores on Linux.
Free software is cool but making it is not free, it takes developer's time and sometimes other resources, so I support paying them.

But, this could be easily abused in the future, many devs could focus on commercial side exactly because of stores which will allow sell of software, so free stuff might not be a thing as much as it is now.

I personally have to say I hope not. There is some commercial software for Linux already.
But snap is pretty much a canonical thing. A tight as Microsoft and Canonical are, well...
I'd hate to see Microsoft be in charge of the Windows store and the Linux snap store.

I personally don't think snap will catch on with the other distro's. They'll support it, but it will never become the default app installer on the other distro's.

Last edited:
but it will never become the default app installer on the other distro's.
I'm sure it will not became default installer, but many stores are "integral" to the OS or DE, for instance KDE discover is integral to KDE desktop, what this means you can't uninstall it, you have no choice over this.

You're only choice is to not use it, same pretty much applies to other types of stores such as snaps. (but I didn't verify)

Staff online

Members online