Slow Hard drive.... unable to reach BIOS

This is one screen I am heading for, and you would click Add to move forward. But wasn't there a screen first that showed "msdos" ? I think it comes before the screen you are on now.

I did that and changed it to the gpt, then hit apply and got the info I posted above..... It was from the Device menu.

Screenshot from 2018-07-19 10-42-19.png

Okay, I thought you missed that step. All the info on the other screen was good, so you can click Add there to create this new partition

But I might be out of sequence, as I said earlier. If you don't see it yet, click Add and maybe it is the next step. I do want you to change from msdos to gpt if we can as it is more UEFI friendly.

Got it.
Screenshot from 2018-07-19 10-47-00.png

Okay, we're good. You need to click the check mark above again it looks like so the "pending operations" are applied.

Then we will do one more thing... click on this new partition to highlight it, then click the Partition menu up above and click or mouse over the Format option, and then choose ext4. You will then have to click the check mark icon again.

Not sure if this step is needed, but I always do it to make sure.

This is still the Create Partition screenshot. Did you also complete the Format step? It should not say New Partition now... it should be something like /dev/sda1, I think.

Work calling. Back in about 10 or 15 min.

This is still the Create Partition screenshot. Did you also complete the Format step? It should not say New Partition now... it should be something like /dev/sda1, I think.

Work calling. Back in about 10 or 15 min.

How's this?

Screenshot from 2018-07-19 11-14-04.png
Screenshot from 2018-07-19 11-15-34.png

Okay, close Gparted and open up a terminal. Make the terminal full screen. We'll use the badblocks command but we won't save it to a text file. I'm hoping you can read any important output right on the screen.

Code:
sudo badblocks -v /dev/sda1

And let's see what it says this time. If all is good, the next step is to install your new Ubuntu.

Okay, close Gparted and open up a terminal. Make the terminal full screen. We'll use the badblocks command but we won't save it to a text file. I'm hoping you can read any important output right on the screen.

Code:
sudo badblocks -v /dev/sda1

And let's see what it says this time. If all is good, the next step is to install your new Ubuntu.

Ok, will post screen shot when it is done.

Okay. I forgot to ask, but I think it is a fairly quick test.

Or not! :D:D:D

It's probably good to run through this test though and see what it shows and how it compares to the last time. If you continue to get bad sectors or bad blocks, you may want to shop around for a replacement hard drive.

Last edited:
Okay. I forgot to ask, but I think it is a fairly quick test.

Or not! :D:D:D

It's probably good to run through this test though and see what it shows and how it compares to the last time. If you continue to get bad sectors or bad blocks, you may want to shop around for a replacement hard drive.

No, not fast lol..... still running......

Screenshot from 2018-07-19 12-14-03.png

Okay, no problem. I'll keep checking back on you. I'm hoping for a happy ending with it this time. :D

Finally done. Looks like more are bad..... 1st run the other day said 548 now 580
Screenshot from 2018-07-19 14-17-13.png

Well, heck. Sometimes when you ask questions, you don't like the answers... and I'm not liking this answer at all. We certainly have to be concerned about the health and integrity of this hard drive.

Let's think of some options and see what you want to do next.

1. Just stop and see if Wizard or Ptahhotep have better suggestions.

2. Pause and prepare the KillDisk program on your USB to see if it can offer any tools or fixes to the bad blocks.

3. Go ahead and install your new Ubuntu for now, with the expectation of possible quirky behavior as the drive continues to decline. It will probably give some service while you shop for a replacement drive.

4. Just stop until you get a replacement drive. You have a lot of time invested now and you may prefer to take a break from this rather than continuing with some of these other suggestions and spending more time on it.

5. Other ideas? I'm certainly open to suggestions and will help if I can.

Gotta go work... back in a bit.

Well, heck. Sometimes when you ask questions, you don't like the answers... and I'm not liking this answer at all. We certainly have to be concerned about the health and integrity of this hard drive.

Let's think of some options and see what you want to do next.

1. Just stop and see if Wizard or Ptahhotep have better suggestions.

2. Pause and prepare the KillDisk program on your USB to see if it can offer any tools or fixes to the bad blocks.

3. Go ahead and install your new Ubuntu for now, with the expectation of possible quirky behavior as the drive continues to decline. It will probably give some service while you shop for a replacement drive.

4. Just stop until you get a replacement drive. You have a lot of time invested now and you may prefer to take a break from this rather than continuing with some of these other suggestions and spending more time on it.

5. Other ideas? I'm certainly open to suggestions and will help if I can.

Gotta go work... back in a bit.

Think I will go ahead and install for now. I do not have another flash drive to install KillDisk on..... I would love to buy another hard drive but at the moment I am seriously struggling to pay bills..... so not possible..... would like to hear any other suggestions though.

You could use that Windows drive, but I know that you would rather not for very good reasons.

Before installing, reboot on your USB so that it picks up all the hard drive changes we made earlier.

The Ubuntu installation should be pretty straightforward.... accept just about every choice it gives you. At the partitioning step you would tell it to use the entire disk, but that is probably the default since there is no other operating system. Don't select any encryption or LVM options if you see any.

Like with Gparted, if it doesn't go right the first time, you can reinstall it again if needed.

Staff online