Slow Hard drive.... unable to reach BIOS

LOL... I don't type fast enough, especially on my phone. :D

Reboot and try again. :D

When I hit the go back button I get this screen:

Screenshot from 2018-07-19 20-51-04.png

Hmmm, okay. Tell it to continue in UEFI mode so it is forced. This was part of the reason for choosing GPT over MSDOS.

Yes, erase disk and install Ubuntu.

Should take less than half an hour.

I don't know why it thinks there is another OS after formatting the drive. Rebooting should have made the USB forget about the stuff we erased earlier.

UEFI is preferred these days... your laptop is UEFI, and Ubuntu is very capable of this. I'd generally say to reboot and force UEFI, but if you didn't it probably will not make much difference.

Finally! About 2 hrs later lol. Now to fix everything lol.....

I gotta leave in a moment, but don't spend too much time fixing if the install took that long. Just use as is for a bit and see how it goes.

Cheers

Hi all :)

Christina, if you have not already begun the install, take time to go to Terminal and type in and enter

Code:
sudo gdisk /dev/sda

Mine looks like this

nXEzTpL.png

Chris

Edited added BTW

BTW - q is for quit, don't go any further with the command for now.

What did I miss here, Chris? I thought the GPT choice from Gparted would set the install on the right path (after reboot and reexamining the hard drive). I'm still confused why it needed to force the UEFI install. :confused::D

And two hours for install time? The title of this thread is "Slow hard drive... etc" but that is excessive. I have some serious doubts about drive integrity. :eek:

Hi all :)

Christina, if you have not already begun the install, take time to go to Terminal and type in and enter

Code:
sudo gdisk /dev/sda

Mine looks like this

nXEzTpL.png

Chris

Edited added BTW

BTW - q is for quit, don't go any further with the command for now.

Finished the install about 6 lol, wish I had seen this earlier. Took 2 hrs to install......

I have some serious doubts about drive integrity. :eek:

Quite possible, and you may not have missed anything, good friend :) Covering bases.

I have some concerns about the Swap being generated at /dev/sda5, sounds like the 4-partition rule ie MSDOS/MBR, should be eg /dev/sda2.

Also Christina, output useful from fdisk - fdisk and gdisk are reverse/forward-engineered.

Code:
sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda

Gotta go, back in 30 or so

Wiz

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts