Rock Roxx

Crikey I've got a tiger by the tail opening this thread haven't I?

Before I forget, just to give Kudos and Thanks to our erstwhile Admin @Rob for giving us this Off-Topic "vehicle" in which to express ourselves. :)

What sort of music do you like, Rob?

Greg Lake from Emerson Lake & Palmer, prog rockers from the 70s, but also had ballads such as this.

Enjoy

Wizard

Hey Eugor :p

27th September 1977 was my 20th birthday, spent the evening at Festival Hall, Brisbane, Queensland Australia watching these folk (Tull) we share in common.

Here's Locomotive Breath.

Wizard

Give this a slip on the ears - never really got the big career, they came in on the end of the "Big Hair" sound of the hair bands from the 80's. They did not get much in the way of radio play across all markets which makes them unheard by some. I did not find them until about 10 years ago.
The group is name - Every Mothers Nightmare out of the Memphis, Tennessee area.

I have always liked these guys,especially this song just something about ! !

Have been listening mostly to this style for about a year now. Best I can tell it is called Electro Swing.

Beware, folks, @Fishy 's learned you can put in a number of vids :D in one Post.

His offering from Every Mother's Nightmare - Walls Come Down, reminds me, there was another Wall which came down in 1989.

November 9 1989, The Berlin Wall commenced being dismantled, not completed until November 1991 - a duration of 2 years.

21 July 1990, Roger Waters of Pink Floyd played there while significant work was being performed in tearing down ... The Wall.

Wiz

A couple of Aussies banging the frets making some pretty fine jams.

Jussie Smith

- - - - - - - - -
can't forget
Mitchell Cullen a.k.a. Fingers

Mate (Fishy) they say Wizards are the stuff of legend, but your choices there are legend. :D

Juzzie's Train Ride was filmed at Eumundi, which is about 15 km in from Noosa on Queensland's Sunshine Coast, and the Eumundi Brewery make a nice lager. Rains a lot there, as can be seen.

Mitch Cullen, what a talent.

He is from Albany, in the south of Western Australia.

The didgeridoo is a two-way instrument - you have to breathe in and out through it so you don't gasp.

I've played one (terribly) and there is a real trick to it.

Great finds !!

I am going to go through and put my likes and comments this weekend, folks, but I'll say goodnight with some more Aussie.

Icehouse, with one of our rock national anthems. Lyrics in the Spoiler

Lyrics
Standing at the limit of an endless ocean
Stranded like a runaway, lost at sea
City on a rainy day down in the harbour
Watching as the grey clouds shadow the bay
Looking everywhere 'cause I had to find you
This is not the way that I remember it here
Anyone will tell you its a prisoner island
Hidden in the summer for a million years
Great Southern Land, burned you black
So you look into the land and it will tell you a story
Story 'bout a journey ended long ago
Listen to the motion of the wind in the mountains
Maybe you can hear them talking like I do
". . they're gonna betray you, they're gonna forget you
Are you gonna let them take you over that way . ."
Great Southern Land, Great Southern Land
You walk alone, like a primitive man
And they make it work, with sticks and bones
See their hungry eyes, its a hungry home
I hear the sound of the stranger's voices
I see their hungry eyes, their hungry eyes
They burned you black, black against the ground
Standing at the limit of an endless ocean
Stranded like a runaway, lost at sea
City on a rainy day down in the harbour
Watching as the grey clouds shadow the bay
Looking everywhere 'cause I had to find you
This is not the way that I remember it here
Anyone will tell you its a prisoner island
Hidden in the summer for a million years
Great Southern Land, in the sleeping sun
You walk alone with the ghost of time
They burned you black, black against the ground
And they make it work with rocks and sand
I hear the sound of the stanger's voices
I see their hungry eyes, their hungry eyes
You walk alone, like a primitive man
You walk alone with the ghost of time
And they burned you black
Yeah, they burned you black
Great Southern Land

Songwriters: Ivor Davies (singer)

Avagudweegend

Wizard

Noel Watson
passed away at Avoca NSW this year
Ex Vietnam & former SAS Soldier

Last edited:
The Milky Way, for those not native English speakers, is a reference to the Galaxy we inhabit on a tiny dot called Planet Earth.

Here's another home-grown prog rock band, The Church

Wiz

On #7 from Tom (@poorguy )

Allman Brothers Band - haven't got one of their albums but loved their work. Jas (@JasKinasis ) might find them of interest - not just one, nor two, but three drummers!

Recorded at the Ohne Filter Music Pub, which I think was in Munchen (Munich) Germany, a haven for artists.

Lead singer and Hammond Organ Gregg Allman (1947 - 2017) was married to singer and actress Cher 1975 -1978 (after which she moved on to Gene Simmons from Kiss).

The stuff of legend.

Tom, we could make a whole Thread just on the slideshow on the Otis Taylor song.

eg how many times do the following appear? - Elvis, Muhammad Ali, Andy Warhol, and on and on :)

Absolutely adore that song, but must place a comparison.

Written by Billy Roberts, also famously recorded by none other than Jimi Hendrix (much shorter version follows)

Hendrix's guitar playing - he wore long silk sleeves, which would drape over the frets of his guitar, and yet still get amazing sounds.

Wizard

Drop it back to the 70's

A little shorter, but this was the first song I heard from Arlo Guthrie. I heard it around 1971.

There are a number of versions of different lengths but this was the first I found today.

Enjoy "The Motorcycle Song" aka "The Pickle Song"

I am the cook in our house, and occasionally Elaine will ask from her recliner chair "Can I have a pickle?".

Behind the island kitchen bench, I will squat down with my hands in the air like riding a Harley, and motor along singing "I Don't Want a Pickle".

She puts palm to forehead and thinks "Knew I shouldn't have asked that". Makes her laugh, every time.

Cheers

Wizard

Members online