Richard Matthew Stallman – The Father Of Free Software Foundation

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits

GNU Project – Free Software Foundation

In 1983 Matthew Stallman started GNU project. He was sure that he is the chosen one to give users freedom by creating Free Software. This project was not just a technical job, it had political, ethical and social meaning.

The main target of GNU project was freedom, which anyone has the right to have.

Freedom includes that users can:

• Run software for any purpose as they wish;
  • Have access to the source code;
  • Copy the software;
  • Modify the program;
  • Distribute and share with others.
In 1985 was published the GNU Manifesto.

Free Software guarantees via license all rights to their users. Free software doesn’t mean that it is “non-commercial”, you may buy it, but at the same time you buy not only the program, you buy all rights to use as you like.

Open Source vs Free Software
Richard Stallman is known as a person, who fight all his life for right definitions of his project. He even will refuse any interview if he will be not sure that you will use the same definitions that he means. This point is the source of misunderstandings between free software and open source community. The main difference is that open source is a model of development, while free software is an idea and political movement.

While free software as opposed to open software may be a distinction, in reality it is a distinction without a difference. He can be as stubborn as he wants to be, and certainly has the right to be so. Yes, he started the free software movement, and that movement evolved to encompass open software, like it or not.

Much Ado about Nothing

What I want is to pay for my free software and I also want qualified free hardware for that software. For now all I can do is to donate a small amount of money that an Internet services owe to me either to Debian or to Blender or both, directly if possible.

Only an open source software can be considered free, and if an open source software it's not intended to be free then it is either stolen or leaked. So stop arguing over semantics and make some good stuff towards security and people will donate, because you addressing the right people that way.

Last edited:
One can be principled, or not. Principles in "free" software arena doth not a scholar make. Even a smart person can say a dumb thing. If the quotes are accurate....Ooopps. MIT and anywhere else Epstein gave money to, should use the same amount to do something good. Such as help with human trafficking, around the world.

Linus Torvalds took a sabbatical, who knew that a Geek at heart may not be a good people person? "I need to step back and take a break....to learn how to behave...."

My copies of Windows over the years were never free to download. ;) Used to get Linux distros in magazines. Now with speeds on the net, grab an ISO and GO.

But free is only good when it is actually GOOD.

That seems like pretty old news.

He still has his founder status but he's less involved than he used to be due to some social gaffs.

I've also never been a huge fan of him, so I may have been a bit overly eager to post it. I knew him when he was younger.

Required reading for GNU fans

Attachments

• Free software, free society selected essays of Richard M. Stallman by Richard M. Stallman, Law...pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 261
I would rather watch paint dry....or grass grow....

Unkind

... but 230 pages is a bit extreme, Andy ;)

I've read the first 10 or so and it looks interesting. I am looking forward to getting to Copyleft, which I struggle with sometimes.

Wizard

Avagudweegend

No. Honest & to the point.

Given a sufficient quantity of the red wine I have at hand (Shiraz, On The Grapevine , Mc Williams)...I may endure a few chapters....but read the lot?!!?....more chance of winning lotto than that happening!

Last edited:
@KGIII @Condobloke
That article you referred to was dated Sept. 2019. That seems like pretty old news.
I'm not sure I get your connection to the OPs' post showing the history of Free Software.
OG TC
It's old news but I still find it harsh and cruel that in the world of today just by saying one wrong thing(intended or not) or making one mistake others don't want to be associated with you anymore because they are afraid it will effect their business or own reputation. Normally Judges judge not people/society or else we would have vigilanty justice which would create a worldly chaos.

Last edited:
Normally Judges judge not people/society or else we would have vigilantly justice which would create a worldly chaos.

Sounds like needs a bit of Alfred, "Some people just want to watch the world burn." ;)

Use open source you are a rebel. Github creator was canceled. Then MS buys it. Yet MS and Google all benefit from uploading code between people to try. MS hasn't messed it up yet but they are MS......

Being someone who likes to control you, Linux user, does not mean you want to control everyone else. But there are a lot of control freaks who don't like that. We are all on our own ships, government should be the lighthouses, not subs looking to sink us. We are not the pirates big corps are the raiders.

Over the years I have read quite a few news articles, blog posts, and FSF articles about, for, or by RMS.
I have also listened to many interviews and watched some videos of same.
My conclusion: although a brilliant scholar and very consistent idealist with whom I agree on many principles - I do not believe Richard M. Stallman is a "nice" person.

Members online