PopOS

kc1di

Reaction score
Credits
For those interested in PopOS System 76 has announced that their new Cosmic DE will be incorporated in their 24.04 release sometime after ubuntu 24.04 LTS is released.
Cosmic unlike anyother DE will be written completely in the Rust programming language. Fedora is considering a Cosmic spin also. Time will tell if it will come to fruition.

Also System 76 announced they will be upping their laptop line with 14th generation I9 processors starting in March. Hefty price tags though.
Read more here.

Yaaaay!!!

Wait... what does that mean? I get what they're doing, but I'm not sure what I'm enthusiastic about, since that update will supposedly be on the way towards solving problem I've never had.
shrug-smiley.png

Well several people I know are looking forward to it because of the rust behind it. But we will see what transpires :)

I for one use mostly KDE and may give it a look when it comes out. Hopefully it will add better features to it than Gnome.

Yeah, I'll defer that particular update to the volunteer guinea pigs. The last thing I need are problems where there are none.

Cosmic unlike anyother DE will be written completely in the Rust
Should I be hyped ?
Why is Rust better then the others ?
I have already enough with PopOS, they transform this distro from a stable release into a rolling one.
They just push software, like is no tomorrow.
I struggled with their GNOME being the by far(my opinion) the most sluggish compared to the others distros.
For whatever reason I couldn't install xanmod kernel(stable Real-time) but on Ubuntu I COULD, and that made
GNOME to act even faster(20-30%). Later, after lot of 'work' I installed some sort of kernel FOR.. PopOS, some
MAIN or LTS release, what was as good as nothing.
I don't even know why I still coming back to this distro :(

As for System 76(a manufactured company) can you tell me why or at least if you guess why they don't sell pc motherboards with coreboot ? All what they care(probably) is if their PopOs works on their Laptops.

All what they care(probably) is if their PopOs works on their Laptops.
Not likely, Pop os is built to work specifically on their own machines, it may be Ubuntu based, but that's about it, if it works OTB on non system 76 hardware your lucky, if it doesn't it can be a right pain in the but to get working correctly, [that's why I never suggest it]

Not likely, Pop os is built to work specifically on their own machines, it may be Ubuntu based, but that's about it, if it works OTB on non system 76 hardware your lucky, if it doesn't it can be a right pain in the but to get working correctly, [that's why I never suggest it]
Its not so bad, is it? I mean it does work on most computers, doesn't it?

I mean it does work on most computers, doesn't it?
its probably better than it was, but it can still cause some awkward problems,

it can still cause some awkward problems
One of them, but a serious one is in the install process, when you get instead of an open source driver, what will surely work
you get a driver based on the kernel version and you end up having a "broken system" "out from the box".
How is that to a new to Linux ?
The awkward situation is.. where if the forum Pop_Os? where is the support

I tried giving them a helping hand at one point and I don't know what happened, but there used to be:

In the meantime, for POP_OS! matters, your best bet is Reddit. They have an active sub-Reddit there.

I tried giving them a helping hand at one point
That's nice, but I will surely move to another "project".
IME is what I want from System 76 and Coreboot also ;)
As from Pop_Os, only bad news.. doesn't matter that I already done like 1000 updates&upgrades(last one was yesterday)
today came another one
Screenshot from 2024-03-15 01-33-05.png
another 3,3 GB update :mad: and the 550 driver? is just staying there.. like a bait. Doesn't matter if is good or not for your hardware
doesn't matter if hurts to performance. Believe it or not is harder then windows to to turn of notification or "the calling back home"
In gaming sessions you will be prompt with a banner..
new updates are waiting for you, click this button to see them Working in
desktop is "important" to them, but not when gaming..
The Pop!_Shop is that sluggish, you can't open it.. is like, you can't type anything because it's the calling home first, a refresh
or an update to apps second and then.. please user what do you want from me? :)
A installation or an update takes forever, via terminal or Synaptic is fast enough though.

your best bet is Reddit.
Oh, on Reddit ?

If you limit yourself to certain subs, Reddit has useful content.

But, man, it's hard to ignore the front page and memes. You just gotta be diligent.

I pay attention (check every few days or if something is up) to a few subs, including a "local" sub. There's no such thing as a truly local sub but that's because I live in the middle of nowhere.

I also have it set up to automatically post my site's content to a sub that I own. It's good for SEO.

Nobody forces you to update again, when i used Pop OS i didn't have problems at all. Now I'm waiting for cosmic to be released :D

Keep in mind flatpak updates are always "big".

Members online