Parrot OS Virtualbox (Ubuntu Host) Wi-Fi _USB Adapter issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

s4vb21

Reaction score
Credits
Good Evening,

Have come to a brick wall of sorts.

Running Parrot OS 5.3 Electro Ara (Oracle VM) with Ubuntu Host (22.04.3) and cannot get Virtualbox to recognize a USB port device.

inxi-N (in Parrot OS VB) does not recognize the Wi-Fi adapter connected via USB. Have added USB filters in VB but cannot select a device.

Ubuntu does recognize the Alfa USB adapter (and the other USB dongle) when plugged in; when researching the issue some say this creates an issue due to host and guest not being able use the same NIC.

When I run Parrot OS on a USB drive, it does fine. Currently I am running Kali Linux with a Windows 11 host (on another laptop) and have the Alfa USB adapter working.

Interesting fact is the Wi-Fi is available in the Parrot OS VM but it does not recognize the USB adapter.

When sending a ping, 0 packets lost.

Any suggestions or possible solutions come to mind?

Last edited:

This is not a problem with your Parrot or your Ubuntu, It is a case of understanding,
when you install any OS in a VM through to a host [main] OS, the host OS has full control of the hardware and so the connections to the big wide world, the VM connects via a Host bridge [usually shown in the network manager of the VM as Bridge, network bridge or host bridge]
The normal route if you want your VM to have its own direct connection to the internet, would be to use a second dedicated USB W-fi adaptor, to do this you will need to set the parameters of the VM USB port controller.

Thank you for the reply.

Your direction is not surprising.

There are 2 USB adapters connected to the machine

It seems you believe I need to enter the USB filter details in VB (Vendor ID, Product ID, etc) to get this solved, correct?

I am not an expert on VM. but this is basically the same question that we get on the Parrot forums on a very regular basis,

General instructions.
Pick one network card for the guest, wireless or wired. In the guest Settings, attach the guest's virtual network via NAT to the chosen card. In the host, on that chosen card's properties, uncheck all the bindings that don't relate to Virtualbox. Now only Virtualbox will use that card, and only the guest will try to communicate through it. The host will use the other network card.

Note if you choose the wi-fi network adapter as the guest's network path, the guest's network will still appear to be wired when you're running the guest, since Virtualbox does not emulate a wi-fi adapter within the guest itself.

I hope this may help

Thank you. The general instructions you gave are somewhat ambiguous.

The options are available via the screen below (VB):

-Include only NAT network adapter MAC addresses
or
-Include all network adapter MAC addresses
or
-Generate new MAC addresses for all network adapters

Screenshot from 2023-10-22 07-37-17.png

The following options are available via the screen below (VB):

NAT (or) Bridged Adapter (or) Internal Network (or) Host-Only Adapter (or) Generic Driver (or) NAT Network (or) Cloud Network (or) Not attached
Screenshot from 2023-10-22 07-40-31.png
Screenshot from 2023-10-22 07-42-56.png

The above screen adds to the fun and there are more rabbit holes for settings, perimeters, etc.

Does anyone know of some type of IT/Linux/VB support (paid or free) that would be able to solve this?

Thank you for the reply Brickwizard.

Unfortunately more directions and instructions are needed for resolution on my end.

The good news is I have no issues with Parrot OS VB on a Windows 11 host.

Last edited:
As i said I am no expert... this may throw a little more light on the matter [Parrot vm on w10]

How many network interfaces do you have on your host?
Which one is the main interface you use to connect to the internet with?

To use a wifi adapter in VirtualBox, I use these settings.

1697977958097.png

Even if your wifi adapter is a USB dongle, you don't do anything in the VM settings with USB.
As far as the VirtualBox VM is concerned, it's just another Network adapter.

How many network interfaces do you have on your host?
answer: 2

Bus 003 Device 008: ID 0cf3:9271 Qualcomm Atheros Communications AR9271 802.11n
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 0bda:b812 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL88x2bu [AC1200 Techkey]

Which one is the main interface you use to connect to the internet with?
answer: see below

Bus 003 Device 004: ID 0bda:b812 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL88x2bu [AC1200 Techkey]

Bus 003 Device 008: ID 0cf3:9271 Qualcomm Atheros Communications AR9271 802.11n

In that case, these are the only interfaces you can in VirtualBox. If the RealTek. is the one connected to the internet,
that is the one you have to use.

What is the output of

ip ad | cut -f2 -d' '

Thank you.

Let me backup and clarify that both interfaces on my host (Ubuntu 22.04.3) are connected to internet.

I am attempting to get the <Bus 003 Device 008: ID 0cf3:9271 Qualcomm Atheros Communications AR9271 802.11n> in monitor mode with guest Parrot OS VB.

ip ad | cut -f2 -d' ' ? did you want me to check this in the guest or host ?

I meant the host, but both would be helpful.

I am attempting to get the <Bus 003 Device 008: ID 0cf3:9271 Qualcomm Atheros Communications AR9271 802.11n> in monitor mode with guest Parrot OS VB.

I am not sure what you mean by monitor mode. Promiscuous mode? Or a VM with an Xwindows display?

You can only use promiscuous mode if the interface is already connected to a network. You can't snoop a different interface.

(result from host )
lo:

enp3s0:

wlx347de4402227:

wlx00c0cab40427:

(result from guest)
lo:

enp0s8:

enp0s3:

Monitor mode/Promiscuous mode same difference.

Not trying to snoop a different interface.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online