Oh Boy!! I think I am in way over my head. =(

b_Zo_Rud6_-_Imgur.gif

G'day Ice - laughing with you, not at you.

In Linux, we sometimes get criticised for not having enough documentation to read up on, not having an F1 we can press for Help. So we are damned if we do, and damned if we don't. :)

But your points are valid.

Linux is constantly evolving and by and large things are getting better all the time. If Ubuntu is your preferred choice, then Brian's Mint "recipe" above is still valid. They use the same installer, Ubiquity, which was developed by Ubuntu.

If you get the chance, do revisit my Post above on msinfo32 and see if you can provide us with some shots. I'll show you what I mean with mine from Win 10, and there will be similarities.

TgF09Tq.png

SCREENSHOT 1

... is from the Summary page. Apart from showing my computer, it shows at "BIOS Mode" that I have UEFI, yours might show BIOS or Legacy.

Also useful to us and to you is Windows Disk Management (start to type in Disk Management in Run... under Windows)

fJrqJAp.png

SCREENSHOT 2

Here, I have gone to the area where it shows 5 blue headers and one black, and right clicked on the part that says Disk 0 at left, in order to check Properties but you will likely be on MS-DOS/MBR, so perhaps no need.

What is offscreen at bottom is my 3rd drive, a 4TB WD My Book.

So if you can show all 3 of your drives and use Windows Snipping Tool to capture a pic, that would be cool.

Cheers

Wizard
HOLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY Crappage!! You guys are way tooooo good and thorough!! Here I figured I'd be dropping into a reply or two and I once again have a about 5 full rolls of the scroll wheel to catch up on!! I really am in over my head!! LOL
Well done and bravo but please be gentle with me...I'm a vegan. Uhmmm Virgin to all this so I'ma drop one item at a time in replies to your replies and hope you don't give up on meh. Otherwise you'll lose me in the crowd for sure. =(
Wiz...here is a paste of the first page....

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name ICE-PC
System Manufacturer Gateway
System Model DX4840
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P01-A3, 17/05/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale Canada
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.24291"
User Name ICE-PC\ICE
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 5.99 GB
Available Physical Memory 3.48 GB
Total Virtual Memory 12.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 9.12 GB
Page File Space 5.99 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I am still reading the 2nd screenshot and trying to figure out what you are exactly looking for Wiz. Just a quick update since my last gleeful entry of 'having no issues' since shutting down win updates. Well its back and crashed. And seems to happen when I light up LOTRO MMO and has bluescreened once and screen image frozen on the other. I think I may be into vid problems but for all I have read over the years if it is my vid card it is not behaving like what I have researched where they say the screen starts to distort first and image begins to sort of go to a white screen like snow on a TV...only with color. There's been no issues like that per say and the image quality remains the same as it always was. So I really am clued out. Sadly the rig I'd like to eventually buy if I have to is ridiculous priced (Alienware) so I am going to be a patient student of all of you and maybe I'll save this one or build a much better one cheaper with your guidance. In any event I will go back to screenshot #2 and try to figure out how to get my equivalent to you Wiz.

ICE

PS- I took another crack at UBUNTU the other night and actually got it hooked up to my existing email addresses on the demo copy and used the FF browser as well. So hoping I will still have access to you through that if it is a OS issue.

Hi Ice, yes you can skip the critical updates too. I don't use Windows much anymore, except when I have a class to teach, and that involves some very specific PLC software, so I can't kill windows as yet. However, I have not updated my Windows 7 installation, my wife's Win 7 (she still uses it daily, or the Win 7 on my other three laptops. I haven't allowed Updates to be installed on those computers, critical or otherwise, since Win 10 was officially released. We've had no issues. I do have one brand new computer, that I just built, to replace my old security camera server. The old one absorbed too many voltage surges, or EMP, from bad thunderstorms and finally died. It has Win 10 Pro on it, and you can't stop the updates. I use Blue Iris for the camera software. We'll guess what I did last week? I installed Blue Iris on Linux Mint, through "Play on Linux", and the software ran, and I was able to use all the features of all 11 of my cameras. So, the brand new computer is fixing to get windows cleaned off of it, the SSD will have to be sterilized, I know, and then Mint Cinnamon will be installed on it.

Not sure what most of that means B2 but I think it almost sounded like you have that Mint set up to run MMO gaming>> Was that the secret message?? Because if it was my problems are solved. LOL.
I'll shelf Win7 and let her sleep and use a Linux program fully installed to run my MMO's etc. That would be just peachy!!
ICE

Nicely Said, Mate!
I opened that response (Thanks Condobloke) and well...closed it almost as quickly. Sorry to say but that much info at this stage is way too much and I'll have to refer back to it once I get past the baby steps of my PC problems. I'm sure its a great read but AT this stage too many rolls of the scroll wheel. Us noobs should be measured in scroll wheel rolls ya know? ;-) Now back to Wiz's 2nd image request. I should have that figured out by ....uhhmm.... Monday?

Windows Disk Management
b_Zo_Rud6_-_Imgur.gif

G'day Ice - laughing with you, not at you.

In Linux, we sometimes get criticised for not having enough documentation to read up on, not having an F1 we can press for Help. So we are damned if we do, and damned if we don't. :)

But your points are valid.

Linux is constantly evolving and by and large things are getting better all the time. If Ubuntu is your preferred choice, then Brian's Mint "recipe" above is still valid. They use the same installer, Ubiquity, which was developed by Ubuntu.

If you get the chance, do revisit my Post above on msinfo32 and see if you can provide us with some shots. I'll show you what I mean with mine from Win 10, and there will be similarities.

TgF09Tq.png

SCREENSHOT 1

... is from the Summary page. Apart from showing my computer, it shows at "BIOS Mode" that I have UEFI, yours might show BIOS or Legacy.

Also useful to us and to you is Windows Disk Management (start to type in Disk Management in Run... under Windows)

fJrqJAp.png

SCREENSHOT 2

Here, I have gone to the area where it shows 5 blue headers and one black, and right clicked on the part that says Disk 0 at left, in order to check Properties but you will likely be on MS-DOS/MBR, so perhaps no need.

What is offscreen at bottom is my 3rd drive, a 4TB WD My Book.

So if you can show all 3 of your drives and use Windows Snipping Tool to capture a pic, that would be cool.

Cheers

Wizard

Well I've been trying to get that screen since my last post and nothing is working Wiz. Sorry. I typed what you said under 'run' and nada....ugh.

Ice, there are many good Linux install videos on You Tube. When I am attempting something new in Linux, I always go to You Tube first. After watching several videos you will feel like you have done the procedure many times. The install you want to select is either "Install along side Windows", or use the "Something Else" option. I always use the "Something else" option.

Since you want to dual boot with Windows, watch this video by Matthew Moore. He calls it "The Nontraditional Way", but it will make your Dual Boot a bit more bullet proof.

Great! Thanks. Its added to my playlist and will consult once I get past these other issues and see where I am going with this...axe Win 7 or keep both.

That's allright wiz, because you beat me to the question that I was going to ask, mainly what hardware are you using. Welcome to the group, mate. And may I add Nice avatar choice!:D

Happy Trails,
Paul
Not sure what you guys mean by this? Are you talking about my start up black screen and into my BIOS? American Megatrends? I dunno....

Wiz...here is a paste of the first page....

Missing in there (they have it in Windows 8 and 10, forgot that Windows 7 had a few differences) is a line saying BIOS Mode, and it would say UEFI or Legacy.

With Windows 7, 8, and 10 you can get the answer through, in your File Explorer:

C:\Windows\Panther\setupact.log

It may or may not have .log on the end, depending on how Explorer is set up. Assuming you have Administrative Privileges, open the file using Notepad and press Ctrl-F for Find and search for

Callback_BootEnvironmentDetect: Detected boot environment

It will either say EFI or BIOS , let us know which.

Other than that, your setup config looks good for Linux :)

Not sure what most of that means B2

@Bayou Bengal is a good bloke to learn from in many areas, including his current familiarity with Win 7 (I haven't used it for over 4 years since I blew away all Windows to go totally Linux).

PlayOnLinux goes hand in hand with WINE (acronym for Wine Is Not an Emulator), these can be installed on many Distros (including Ubuntu) and come pre-installed on Distros such as Zorin and some others.

They allow (ex-)Windows users to run some Windows programs, Windows games, &c - has mixed rate of success, but may work for you.

I opened that response (Thanks Condobloke) and well...closed it almost as quickly.

Brian's (@Condobloke ) is a fellow Aussie, and that material is a great guide, but I understand where you are coming from.

The Windozer is a bit like being exposed for a prolonged period to radioactivity, your brain turns to mush - with Linux you have to think a bit, but then reap the benefits.

Crikey, I used it for 24 years, and apart from this tic in my left eye, and what was your name again? ... I am as good as gold, but some are not so lucky. :rolleyes:

Not sure what you guys mean by this?
- on Paul's (@VP9KS ) Post.

Asked and answered. The info from that 1st page you gave us is enough to go on with to suggest things like what Distro to use, &c.

Well I've been trying to get that screen since my last post and nothing is working Wiz.

I'll double check the Win 7 side of things, or one of the others may have an answer or an equivalent. Just want to see how the partitioning is set up. Will explain more once we know UEFI or BIOS. MSDOS-MBR has a limitation of 4 partitions, so we want to see what Windows is consuming.

Enough for you to absorb for now :)

Baby steps - you've gotta crawl before you can walk, walk before you can run, run before you can fly. Flying is great :D

Cheers

Wiz

Not sure what most of that means B2 but I think it almost sounded like you have that Mint set up to run MMO gaming>> Was that the secret message?? Because if it was my problems are solved. LOL.
I'll shelf Win7 and let her sleep and use a Linux program fully installed to run my MMO's etc. That would be just peachy!!
ICE
No, no gaming here. I got burned out using Atari back in the 1980's. My wife likes Pogo though, thus her reluctance to give up Win 7. If you were referring to my brief description of my camera server failure, that was caused by numerous thunderstorms attacking my POE(Power Over Ethernet) security cameras.

To you suspecting a video card issue on your computer, the first thing I'd do, and this is because you've allowed Windows to update all this time, is go to your manufacturer's website and download the video drivers for your computer. One of the Windows updates probably installed their driver for your card. Like I said in an earlier post the Win 7 and 8 updates are rolling updates. You accept them and you are accepting everything that is rolled up in that KB. They usually don't offer a detailed explanation as to what is contained in the update either. So, if you are experiencing BSOD, a freeze, etc., in Windows, suspect that your driver/s are the cause, not the hardware. After you reinstall the factory drivers, if you still have the same issue, then suspect the hardware. The internet is also full of reports that some Windows updates have damaged computer hardware. It has never happened to me, but I have no reason to doubt what I have read.

No, no gaming here. I got burned out using Atari back in the 1980's. My wife likes Pogo though, thus her reluctance to give up Win 7. If you were referring to my brief description of my camera server failure, that was caused by numerous thunderstorms attacking my POE(Power Over Ethernet) security cameras.

To you suspecting a video card issue on your computer, the first thing I'd do, and this is because you've allowed Windows to update all this time, is go to your manufacturer's website and download the video drivers for your computer. One of the Windows updates probably installed their driver for your card. Like I said in an earlier post the Win 7 and 8 updates are rolling updates. You accept them and you are accepting everything that is rolled up in that KB. They usually don't offer a detailed explanation as to what is contained in the update either. So, if you are experiencing BSOD, a freeze, etc., in Windows, suspect that your driver/s are the cause, not the hardware. After you reinstall the factory drivers, if you still have the same issue, then suspect the hardware. The internet is also full of reports that some Windows updates have damaged computer hardware. It has never happened to me, but I have no reason to doubt what I have read.

Okay B2...This too makes sense. But I have NVIDIA GeForce Experience installed which sends me the current version of my GTX650Ti drivers when they are released and currently using driver version 417.01.I had a crash recently but a whole bunch of them about a week ago and then checked the drivers and updated. I have always used the manufacturers drivers and only accepted critical updates from Windows over the years. Are you saying you think the crit updates have a driver for my GPU mashed in there with the rest of their crap they were installing? If that's possible it may make sense here. In the mean time I have turned off win update and been sitting on eggshells since.
Bottom line is I really am going to work towards having Ubuntu as my primary OS for this rig and all new rigs if possible. The only issue I can see is the version I will choose supporting gaming. Winters can be rather lengthy up here in the big white north, the brother to the Big Tan South (Aussie) which it sounds like many of you are from and what makes me more happy is that I gather Ubuntu is also? I guess I should do my homework on that. I know for sure the Wiz is from there?? LOL With his and yours and other help I am sure I will get this resolved in years to come...hehe. In the meantime just pleased as punch to have made contact with the other half of the globe so we can keep our bookends role tight on the rest of humanity. Seems we are the only stable beings on the planet any more. But don't get me started and pardon the digression.
Thanks for the note. Now to the bigger task at hand. Decoding the Wiz!!

Missing in there (they have it in Windows 8 and 10, forgot that Windows 7 had a few differences) is a line saying BIOS Mode, and it would say UEFI or Legacy.

With Windows 7, 8, and 10 you can get the answer through, in your File Explorer:

Do you mean you lead me down the Yellow Brick road with no Emerald Castle at the end Wiz?? You know of course I sat there for over an hour thinking I was a complete idiot when I could not find the answer to what you were asking? LOL I felt like Frodo lost in the tunnels of Mordor with no Light of Lady Galadriel to use and Shelob ready to pounce!! Okay maybe not Shelob ..but I was lost indeed.
Now it all makes sense as to why I could not find it. It was NOT there!! I may need some ruby red slippers for this journey!! Haha!!

So I am trying to keep up here but its not always easy when I see abbreviations. Whenever you all use one can you add a quick script denoting what it means. Even Babies need their hands held for those first few steps and I am a full on droolin toddler in this enviro. For example...I am going to decode Distro as one of the many versions 'distributed' of said product? Yes?

And when you add a bold type command line like this....C:\Windows\Panther\setupact.log... is this my cue to drop that into my 'search programs and files' box on Win 7 start up menu? If so I will know in future unless you tell me directly to type that line into that box? Or is it another box I should find under windows somewhere? Which truth be told was half of that hour I spent searching for your last request trying to find that Windows search box? Lol. Truly...if steps and directions are not really precise for a noob trying to guide their way around this enviro...we can get lost and discouraged very quickly. And trust me I was!! So if I know in future this is what you mean it will save me time. Might seem a bit too nitpicky but it has to be or I spend three times as long as I should navigating around this damn computer. I know...I really have to go find a course for old guys to learn this shit better. My own fault and the reading can get very tiresome sometimes for these eyes. And I use all those dark screens etc to help alleviate eye strain! If they can only come up with a program that picks your eyeballs up off your lap and sticks them back in their sockets when they are so dried out they drop out of their sockets...I'd be a happy hoser!!

I'll await your cue on this and in the meantime just go mess around with what I think you meant (type that line in box) and pray smoke does not come out of the back of the rig or my ears!! =)

Thanks Wiz,

ICE the Scarecrow!!....If I only had a brain!!

It may or may not have .log on the end, depending on how Explorer is set up. Assuming you have Administrative Privileges, open the file using Notepad and press Ctrl-F for Find and search for

@Bayou Bengal is a good bloke to learn from in many areas, including his current familiarity with Win 7 (I haven't used it for over 4 years since I blew away all Windows to go totally Linux).

PlayOnLinux goes hand in hand with WINE (acronym for Wine Is Not an Emulator), these can be installed on many Distros (including Ubuntu) and come pre-installed on Distros such as Zorin and some others.

They allow (ex-)Windows users to run some Windows programs, Windows games, &c - has mixed rate of success, but may work for you.

Brian's (@Condobloke ) is a fellow Aussie, and that material is a great guide, but I understand where you are coming from.

The Windozer is a bit like being exposed for a prolonged period to radioactivity, your brain turns to mush - with Linux you have to think a bit, but then reap the benefits.

Crikey, I used it for 24 years, and apart from this tic in my left eye, and what was your name again? ... I am as good as gold, but some are not so lucky. :rolleyes:

Asked and answered. The info from that 1st page you gave us is enough to go on with to suggest things like what Distro to use, &c.

I'll double check the Win 7 side of things, or one of the others may have an answer or an equivalent. Just want to see how the partitioning is set up. Will explain more once we know UEFI or BIOS. MSDOS-MBR has a limitation of 4 partitions, so we want to see what Windows is consuming.

Baby steps - you've gotta crawl before you can walk, walk before you can run, run before you can fly. Flying is great :D

Cheers

Wiz

Cheers

Wiz

PS- Everything in between here and up there^^^ I will get too after I am sure I am doing what I'm asked too.

PPS- Speaking of flying....I think I may go get my flightsuit on right now. That and a Beer might help clear the cobwebs!! ;):confused:

Well as expected I am hitting brick walls. I tried both of those bold print command lines you left in both the search and run boxes. Nothing came up for either. I suspect I am not even searching in the correct place which again I say...I just don't have enough savy and knowledge around this damn thing to know what I am being told to do with the missing pieces in between. Am I even searching in the right place? Am I supposed to be in my BIOS which is always a huge pile of crap to get into as well. Nothing seems remotely user friendly on this thing when I try to do anything but I suspect its simply because I am LOST!! Sorry for the lack of know how over here....but I sort of figured after my last attempt this would be the case again. I guess one has to assume that anyone they are teaching in this case in the famous world of Sargeant Schultz....KNOWS NOTHING....SEES NOTHING!!! Lol.

Cheers

Wiz

""Seems we are the only stable beings on the planet any more.""

You certainly got that right !!

Okay B2...This too makes sense. But I have NVIDIA GeForce Experience installed which sends me the current version of my GTX650Ti drivers when they are released and currently using driver version 417.01.I had a crash recently but a whole bunch of them about a week ago and then checked the drivers and updated. I have always used the manufacturers drivers and only accepted critical updates from Windows over the years. Are you saying you think the crit updates have a driver for my GPU mashed in there with the rest of their crap they were installing? If that's possible it may make sense here. In the mean time I have turned off win update and been sitting on eggshells since.
Bottom line is I really am going to work towards having Ubuntu as my primary OS for this rig and all new rigs if possible. The only issue I can see is the version I will choose supporting gaming. Winters can be rather lengthy up here in the big white north, the brother to the Big Tan South (Aussie) which it sounds like many of you are from and what makes me more happy is that I gather Ubuntu is also? I guess I should do my homework on that. I know for sure the Wiz is from there?? LOL With his and yours and other help I am sure I will get this resolved in years to come...hehe. In the meantime just pleased as punch to have made contact with the other half of the globe so we can keep our bookends role tight on the rest of humanity. Seems we are the only stable beings on the planet any more. But don't get me started and pardon the digression.
Thanks for the note. Now to the bigger task at hand. Decoding the Wiz!!

Yes, in the rolling update model, Microsoft rolls up their drivers for all hardware. They will do it for video cards, wifi, your Ethernet card, just pick a device and the model. Their drivers, and the telemetry software are why I turned off the Windows updates over 3 years ago. I know it's a scary thought to not update, especially if it's windows, but I'm past the three year mark with no updates, and no problems. Unless there is a really serious, known flaw in Windows, there is no good reason to update. Your computer security is really in your hands in the way you use the machine, your personal firewall, and your ISP firewall. The bad guys have to get through that to get to your computer and we are hearing almost nothing about 7 or 8 now. That's because the vast majority of windows users are using Win 10. Bad guys work on the majority, not the minority.

Anyway, get your Ubuntu installed in a dual boot with Win 7, and do what I do. Only use the windows OS when specialized software has to be run. Delete Windows 7 as soon as you can. That happens for me late next year.

And when you add a bold type command line like this....C:\Windows\Panther\setupact.log... is this my cue to drop that into my 'search programs and files' box on Win 7 start up menu?

You could try it. Other than that just open your File Explorer and perform a search for

setupact

Chances are you don't have your Settings set to show file extensions and full path.

What we could really use is knowing what Partitions you have on your Drive currently, used or unused.

That means revisiting Screenshot 2 in my Post at #11 on Page 1.

Yours will look something like this, is that so?

N1mIPu1.png

SCREENSHOT 3 - AVERAGE DISK MANAGEMENT APPEARANCE, WINDOWS 7

Have you had a play yet with Windows Snipping Tool yet? Just type it in at Start. It will allow taking a picture such as above, which default will save it as .png - you can then attach that to your Reply here, or upload it to an image hosting site (I use imgur.com but there are others), then copy the image location into your reply, as you see with my screenshots.

I really need to see how many of those blue headed squares and rectangles you have, they are the partitions, and we could use them for all drives. Also if there is one that is shaded, like the one above on Disk Zero that says 100 MB Healthy (EFI System Partition).

Cheers

Wiz

Yes, in the rolling update model, Microsoft rolls up their drivers for all hardware. They will do it for video cards, wifi, your Ethernet card, just pick a device and the model. Their drivers, and the telemetry software are why I turned off the Windows updates over 3 years ago. I know it's a scary thought to not update, especially if it's windows, but I'm past the three year mark with no updates, and no problems. Unless there is a really serious, known flaw in Windows, there is no good reason to update. Your computer security is really in your hands in the way you use the machine, your personal firewall, and your ISP firewall. The bad guys have to get through that to get to your computer and we are hearing almost nothing about 7 or 8 now. That's because the vast majority of windows users are using Win 10. Bad guys work on the majority, not the minority.

Anyway, get your Ubuntu installed in a dual boot with Win 7, and do what I do. Only use the windows OS when specialized software has to be run. Delete Windows 7 as soon as you can. That happens for me late next year.

That all makes sense as well. Now the question is...which 'Distro' is the best option for what I am seeking to accomplish in a dual boot enviro? If I keep Win7 on the shelf...as you say for only 'need be' operations....and I think I will if it does not screw up this PC continually after I install Ubuntu. Is it also possible to transfer my critical files and personal crap over from Win7 to Ubuntu? I have most of it on a plug in USB hard drive I think. Or does Ubuntu simply recognize the USB hard drive and incorporate it directly into it's OS after install when they make nice to each other? I have enough space to do both with the sheet of specs I left correct? If so...I read at the start of this venture there was an Ubuntu that is similar to Win7 in it's appearance and operation? I would likely go with that until such time as I am most comfortable but.... the bigger issue as stated in a few earlier posts is the gaming issue. I understand there is a version of Ubuntu that is actually suited better for gaming? Any chance that same version is the one that looks a bit like Win7? Trying to keep the kids in their seats focused on their homework here and less distractions the better. If all of that is in fact available I'd be mighty comfortable going forward with this dual boot affair!! Or at least not feel like Wylie Coyote with the Roadrunner holding the string to release an anvil on my head from the cliff above.

You could try it. Other than that just open your File Explorer and perform a search for

setupact

Chances are you don't have your Settings set to show file extensions and full path.

What we could really use is knowing what Partitions you have on your Drive currently, used or unused.

That means revisiting Screenshot 2 in my Post at #11 on Page 1.

Yours will look something like this, is that so?

N1mIPu1.png

SCREENSHOT 3 - AVERAGE DISK MANAGEMENT APPEARANCE, WINDOWS 7

Have you had a play yet with Windows Snipping Tool yet? Just type it in at Start. It will allow taking a picture such as above, which default will save it as .png - you can then attach that to your Reply here, or upload it to an image hosting site (I use imgur.com but there are others), then copy the image location into your reply, as you see with my screenshots.

I really need to see how many of those blue headed squares and rectangles you have, they are the partitions, and we could use them for all drives. Also if there is one that is shaded, like the one above on Disk Zero that says 100 MB Healthy (EFI System Partition).

Cheers

Wiz
Okay Wiz...hope this works!

upload_2018-12-5_18-6-47.png

TADAAAAAAA!! LOL

I have always just done the copy and paste deal but nice to know that tool exists. Thanks.

Okay I will leave this with you and duck upon my return when you tell me my rig is ready for the trash heap!!

Members online

Latest posts