Oh Boy!! I think I am in way over my head. =(

I'm adding this Wiz...as it was further down the scroll and not sure you need this info. It is my USB plugin back up of course and much of my photos and games etc are all stored here.

upload_2018-12-5_18-15-43.png

Not sure what most of that means B2 but I think it almost sounded like you have that Mint set up to run MMO gaming>> Was that the secret message?? Because if it was my problems are solved. LOL.
I'll shelf Win7 and let her sleep and use a Linux program fully installed to run my MMO's etc. That would be just peachy!!
ICE
No, I don't do any gaming. My wife does some gaming on a site called Pogo, but it's nothing as sophisticated as MMO, or any other game that you'd actually install to your computer. You have downloaded a lot of the microsoft updates for Windows 7. I have downloaded none of those. It may be why I'm having no issues. How could you fix your Win 7? You obviously can't do a clean install of Win 7 anymore. The updates would all come down in rolling packages, and you'd have no way to pick and choose which ones you wanted and which ones to discard.. You might try reinstalling your game that gives you the BSOD. Your other choice is to get Ubuntu installed and try to get your favorite games running by using Wine/Play on Linux.

Oh yeah, there is one more choice, you could upgrade to Win 10. I'm sure your game/s would run in that without the issues you are having in Win 7.

Trying to keep the kids in their seats focused on their homework here and less distractions the better

b_Zo_Rud6_-_Imgur.gif

Dream on.

TADAAAAAAA!! LOL

Legend, we are in business :D

Or does Ubuntu simply recognize the USB hard drive and incorporate it directly into it's OS after install when they make nice to each other?

It's like peekaboo, we (linux) can see you (Windows) but you cannot see us. We can read FAT 32, NTFS, you name it. So you can leave that for Ron (lateR ON).

I'll finish here for the mo (ment) and come back to Page 3

Wiz

t's like peekaboo, we (linux) can see you (Windows) but you cannot see us. We can read FAT 32, NTFS, you name it. So you can leave that for Ron (lateR ON).

I'll finish here for the mo (ment) and come back to Page 3

The more I hear about this OS the more I like it and am excited to convert. I am all in favour of supporting ALL the NON Silicon Valley huge corps that are ruling this planet currently and I hope many people will do the same. Its like buying your gas from the little guy down the road instead of the BP, EXXON and mega oil owned stations...like using the local Credit Union instead of any member of the lecherous globally owned big business Banking Cartels... Don't get me started but I hope all are of the same mindset or will at least consider being.

I should have come to UBUNTU long ago but we will call it simple fear. I consider this program the safe alternate to being trapped in a Windows enviro with no other options. But you first have to be aware of and know your options. I did not know honestly there was much of a choice until recently.There should ALWAYS be a choice! Had Ubuntu been around back when I first bought my first PC or had I known about it I am sure I would have loved choosing it then and learning it rather than Corp giant Windows. And worry of not being able to use or access your info as you normally do because of my limited knowledge has kept me from taking a chance until forced too. Now I am so glad my stupid PC acted up because I am enjoying using even the demo version. If I can only get it to work for my gaming stuff Windows will be but a puff of smoke dissipating into the breeze around here. Certaily seems like it's trying to burn up and smolder out anyways. Far be it for me to deter it's journey. I'm glad I am learning with the help of you fine people and looking forward to the UBUNTU process.

In fact I am happy to report I am currently ON the disc version of Ubuntu right now after another recent crash. Wooohooo!!
Instead of F#$%@G around trying to get my Win7 back up and running this time I simply slid my disc into drive and booted up. I've been doing bits of reading and trying to learn a bit more of how to get my PC working like it does under Win7 (or did formerly) given its all I know and will be patient as each item and fire is put out until I get too the same comfort level with UBUNTU.

Thanks Wiz...I appreciate the bracketed terms explaining what you are saying. Helps immensely and so I will ask...do I need to know what FAT32, or NTFS means? I will assume it is some type of program language? And not sure what (ment) stood for but assuming MO was short for moment? Yeah...that makes sense. Okay now onto reading what lies below which I know is going to be the next step in my learning curve. I am still very anxious about the permanent install of UBUNTU and hoping it goes smoothly and my rig will handle it, has the space and capacity and will adapt for gaming. And even more worried I understand properly how to do it once I read your directions because the first attempt on my own left me not wanting to attempt it again for fear of destroying my old files and info on the disks its all currently on. I'd love to axe Windows altogether if that all pans out!! But rather not have my personal info and all my saved work and history of pics, videos, boomarks, docs, games etc be axed too.

:confused::confused::oops:
Hmmmmm? Okay well it must still be Beer o'clock!! Which I totally understand and know from personal experience takes presedence above all else.
I did not see any reply to my partition pasting job Wiz so going to assume you are still working at it. Unless it did not translate or its been posted elsewhere. I will check back in soon. Thanks again Mate!'

Locale Canada

... KNEW I'd seen that somewhere, found it.

I am all in favour of supporting ALL the NON Silicon Valley huge corps that are ruling this planet currently and I hope many people will do the same. Its like buying your gas from the little guy down the road instead of the BP, EXXON and mega oil owned stations...like using the local Credit Union instead of any member of the lecherous globally owned big business Banking Cartels... Don't get me started but I hope all are of the same mindset or will at least consider being.

So do you guys say "Preaching to the choir" or "preaching to the converted"? We say the latter, but it's all the same, and yes it applies to the above, at least for me.

Just a protocol for easier reading (us of you), and I swear by The Crystals of Cyndriarr and Seven Rings of Raggadorr that I will draw up a Thread with a guide for posting at this place ... some time this millennium ... after a beer:

When you reply, do not choose Reply at the right, (but by all means choose the Like button for our posts), but go below to the open pane with "Write your reply".

If you want to quote a bit from here, do as I did with your small business ethic, by highlighting (dragging) to select the required text. When you stop dragging, you will see a small hot link Reply appear near your cursor/insertion point. Move the cursor right onto the word Reply and the Fickle Finger of Fate will appear. Click. The text is then inserted in your Reply Pane below the Post. You can move it into a space you want it to be with carriage entries (Enter lines).

With your actual reply material, put it outside the quoted material so we can see it easily, otherwise it can get lost in amongst what we have already said, or we don't think to expand the collapsed box.

You'll get the hang of it, and if you apologise I WILL be forced to kill you. It is an easy oversight.

I'll end this Post then get back onto the Support material.

Wizard

This is from your last paragraph in #44, and another way of replying where we don't lose the gist of it - the bold, italic and underline are on the left of your toolbar, and the teardrop holds colour which I think you have already found with your Signature :)

Thanks Wiz...I appreciate the bracketed terms explaining what you are saying. Helps immensely and so I will ask...do I need to know what FAT32, or NTFS means?

Yes and No. FAT is File Allocation Table, brought in in the 80s, the 32-bit architecture was developed by Micro$oft for Windows 95 due to Hard Drives getting larger. If you go to format a USB stick, the default is usually FAT32. Google "what is fat32" if you want the read. NTFS is NewTechnology File System that your Windows 7 is built on, also M$. Same with the Google. Actually came in with Window 3.1 NT over 25 years ago, but nowadays is their staple file format.

I will assume it is some type of program language?

A reasonable guess, wrong, but reasonable :)

We can sprinkle some more of this in as we work with you, if you are interested, but again, let's focus on the Support :cool:

#41 on the Seagate Drive, is very useful, thanks. It has opportunities later if you are open to suggestions.

In fact I am happy to report I am currently ON the disc version of Ubuntu right now after another recent crash. Wooohooo!!

That's cool. Keep getting a feel for it if you wish. The Live DVD performance will not be as fast as a Live USB performance will not be as fast as a full install to hard drive. Follow that? :rolleyes:

QUESTION 1 - did we establish which Ubuntu you have downloaded, down to DE (Desktop Environment)? The name of the .iso will reveal. Or in the Live Session, go to Ctrl-Alt-t (Opens Terminal) and type in and enter

Code:
echo $DESKTOP_SESSION

and

Code:
lsb_release -a

QUESTION 2 - wanna try the closest equivalent to a full-blown install, with all the performance, and no risk to your Windows and data? Start reading here - https://www.linux.org/threads/nwe-linux-convert.21161/#post-62297 - follow the links and see what you think.

Wizard

BTW - that paragraph that starts

I should have come to UBUNTU long ago but we will call it simple fear. I consider this program the safe alternate to being trapped in a Windows enviro with no other options. But you first have to be aware of and know your options. I did not know honestly there was much of a choice until recently.
...?

For Ubuntu read Linux in General, and yes, it is amazing? Cool rather than Gruel. But the safety of your data is paramount, both to you, and to us, we will do nothing to jeopardise that, rest assured. :D Where Brian @Condobloke and Tom @poorguy and I first met, we had a fellow who was a potato farmer, or other primary producer in Northern Idaho and he would get snowed in for the winter. That's when he would play with multiple Linuxes, so we would fuel him up with ideas, he would do the snow ploughing around the house, and then send his wife in on the snowmobile to town to get more USB stick supplies.

Such is the enthusiasm that Linux generates amongst many, and I love those stories.

Later

Members online