newest kid on the block

l@70 Charlie Tango @captain-sensible, Rather then shredding each other, show me the way to amarilo. yes I Have a laptop which will go to bed soon because its on win 7. What would you wantme to do??
On this one, should I prepare to drop MSos ?? I'm ready for it, seems a good idea, gets Bill Gates out of my hair.

Harald,
That's great!
Give us all the specifications on that old laptop please. Give as much info as possible.
I think it will be simpler to change over to Linux from Win 7 than it is from Win 10.
With that said; after you get your feet wet doing the old one, perhaps you can then be more confident moving forward with the Win 10 computer.
OG TC

Harald,
For now, please don't do anything until you have given us all the specs on your old computer.
I have a desktop with win 7 on it, so it should not take too long to get Linux installed.
OG TC

Gotta take Mother out to dinner this evening, but I will be back in a couple of hours.
OG TC

Well I don't like that idea, Win 7 was very stable. and I do all my business, banking emails on there uintil I got this one sorted out, then swap over. Sorry to knock that on the head. H

Ill be in bed by then, got to drive long distance tomorrow and wont be b ack till Wednesday. Give you a bit of peace. H

I'm Back.
Just like a bad penny.
Mother changed her mind and we ate at home.
I have another question Harald, before you hit the sack --- What are your plans for your old laptop with Win 7 on it?
OG TC

Once I got this on running right, transferred all my files I need over and connected everything together. Its a real old HP with a 148 GB SSD. I think my grandson 15 yr old has his eye on it. He can tinker with it. I suppose.

Once I got this on running right, transferred all my files I need over and connected everything together. Its a real old HP with a 148 GB SSD. I think my grandson 15 yr old has his eye on it. He can tinker with it. I suppose.

Thanks.
OG TC

@70 Tango Charlie arochester has kindly help me to get back to our conversation. Thanks You.
I'm back and want to continue with out dialogue and set up . Harald

@70 Tango Charlie arochester has kindly help me to get back to our conversation. Thanks You.
I'm back and want to continue with out dialogue and set up . Harald
@hacodo75
Welcome back Harald,
Now, where were we ............HMMM.
Seeing that your grandson is going to take over your old cp, the idea I had won't work.
Can you refresh me on just where you stand right now with your computers?
Thanks a bunch.
Old Geezer
TC

On the suggestion of @captain-sensible I downloaded salixos and rufus, but you found they were shortcuts only to the files not the files themselves. So I copied the files direct onto the desktop, but have sofar not been able to get you to see the screenshot I have made as I am unable to get screenshots attached to this thread. I think that is were we were. H

@hacodo75
Thanks Harald,

I'll start with getting you able to take screenshots of any area on your screen. In Windows 10 you have a 'Snipping Tool' app. This is what you will use to take screenshots. I am using the two terms 'Snip' and 'Screenshot' interchangeably - they both mean the same thing.

1. Click in the search box and type in 'Snipping Tool'. {Search box is at the bottom of your screen on the left side.
2. 'Snipping Tool' window will open. Click on 'New'. This activates your cursor.
3. Drag the cursor around the area you want to capture {Make a screenshot}.
4. 'Snipping Tool' window will open with a picture of what you captured {Your screenshot}.
5. Click on 'File' and then 'Save As'.
6. The next window opens and you can pick where you want to save your 'Snip' {Screenshot}.
7. Name your file.
8. Pick out what type of file you want it saved as - PNG, Gif, JPEG or Single file HTML.
9. Click on 'Save'.

You have now saved your screenshot {Snip} and can do with it as you wish.
Give it a try and let us know how it works for you, or if you have any questions.
Old Geezer
TC :)

Sorry Charlie, I've tried it and it did not quite work right. But I have got to got and try again tomorrow. I;m not well and have to go to lhospital. Speak again soon.

Sorry Charlie, I've tried it and it did not quite work right. But I have got to got and try again tomorrow. I;m not well and have to go to lhospital. Speak again soon.
Harald,
All the best to you, my friend.
TC

Hi Charlie, I'm the bad penny today, I'm back. Sat around the hospital from 8.30 pm to 3.30 am, interrupted by x-rays,bloodtests, eyel test etc. All interrupted by non activity of 3/4 hr inbetween. lThen Dr went awol for 2 hrs and so on and so on. Anyway I'm back among the living.
So. where do we go from here.
I've tried the suggested method by you but had no success. I]ll try again in a min, see whether I can master it. It really makes me think that it would be much more productive if WIN OS was out of the way. H

have I finally got the screenshot on? It certainly looks like it. Hope you can confirm. H

have I finally got the screenshot on? It certainly looks like it. Hope you can confirm. H
Harald,

That is absolutely beautiful!
I have a friend locally who is spending much time visiting doctors lately. A real pain.

In Linux it is so easy to take a screenshot, here's one I took of yours. {Just the left third of yours}

Now, on to other stuff.
If I understand you correctly, you want to install a Linux distribution {Distro} along side your Windows 10. Do I have that correct?
OG TC

Harald,
I just looked up your city and it appears that we live in towns that are about the same size.
I also just thought about the time difference between us. You are about 5 hours ahead of me,
so we will have to make allowance for that in our 'back and forth' comments to each other.
OG TC

Staff online

Members online