Need to find a good Linux distro

T4B

Reaction score
Credits
hey, im new to Linux i need to install Linux for my Toshiba satellite c50-a491 (daily drive) any distro recommendations?

i had installed Ubuntu on my desktop once but the os got broken (a few years ago that time I don't know anything about Linux commands) so I need a stable one to do things like browse the web, play Minecraft,use discord,teamspeak

I heard Debian is good but some say Debian uses old software packages. Does that mean I don't get any updates?

i had installed Ubuntu on my desktop once but the os got broken
what may help in a situation like that is having a backup plan in place before things get broken. linux mint is often recommended for new users. i have been using linux for a few years and use it so it isn't just for beginners. there is a version that is based on debian called linux mint debian edition. mint also comes with a program called Timeshift preinstalled that can be helpful for backup purposes.

can i use linux mint on this device ?

Intel Core i3-3110M (3 MB cache) 2.40 GHz
4 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
200 gb ssd
LED backlight 1366x768

and can upgrade if Linux Mint releases any update. like updating Windows. without breaking the system

linux mint has a few different choices for Desktop Environments (de's). the MATE and Xfce de's usually use fewer resources (like ram and cpu) than the standard Cinnamon desktop. i believe linux mint debian edition only comes with the Cinnamon desktop.

one way to get an idea about how it may or may not work on your specific system is to create a live usb and give it a try. running off of the usb will be slower than a full installation to your internal hard drive, but you could use that to compare different distros or different desktop environments.

mint comes with a graphical update manager that should alert you when you have updates and allow you to install them fairly easily.

Yes either Ubuntu or Debian base, both are long term distributions and have a simple update system, your only problems may come from some components [wi-fi / graphics/sound card] which will need patience and time to tweak

Reactions: T4B
I use Debian 11 since it came out, I didn't expect it to be that much reliable, all this time it never crashed for once. Now the current version is 12, it gets regular security and stability updates, go ahead and install it

Reactions: T4B
im going with mint, mint UI like windows cinnamon mint. thank you so much for the help guys...

Don't be afraid to try other distros and to distro hop for a while. You'll find there are a zillion choices out there and you may find something that you like even better. Mint is pretty good, don't get me wrong. My main point is that you have countless choices and deciding without trying is like picking your favorite food without having ever tried it and without trying other foods.

Linux Mint is my go-to recommendation for folks that are new to Linux, but I second KGIII's recommendation, do not be afraid to explore, maybe once that you feel comfortable with Linux, you never know what you might find, that is how I discovered Fedora Silverblue after only using Fedora Workstation before.

Intel Core i3-3110M (3 MB cache) 2.40 GHz
4 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
200 gb ssd
LED backlight 1366x768
Do you have Mint installed, and how hot does the CPU get, for example when you're using YouTube?

Do you have Mint installed, and how hot does the CPU get, for example when you're using YouTube?
Strange question.. And something I have not checked on my machine, [I5 8GB] so i have just run YouTube in one window and streamed Ghostbusters in another window simultaneously , and the cpu temp remained static at 29deg.

Strange question.. And something I have not checked on my machine, [I5 8GB] so i have just run YouTube in one window and streamed Ghostbusters in another window simultaneously , and the cpu temp remained static at 29deg.
You're comparing apples to oranges. That's not accurate. 29°C on a laptop is very unlikely. Especially not with a 22nm IvyBridge CPU. You probably have a tower with at least a 700g heatsink. As heavy as a whole laptop, in fact. What CPU do you have running?

That's not accurate. 29°C on a laptop is very unlikely
I agree to some extent, but I have a laptop in a box, IE 90% of the components are the same as in laptops mine is a 22nm Haswell, my point irrespective, is that I am running Mint and with 2 windows streaming at the same time, there is no change in the CPU temperature, If your having heating problems, have you tried a different distribution and does it still overheat?

edit have you tried Thermaid
sudo apt install thermald

edit have you tried Thermaid
sudo apt install thermald

CPUs in laptops run very hot, so a thermald doesn't really help. I've experimented with thermald for a long time, tried various configurations. In the end, I wrote my own cooling mechanisms in Bash/Python. CPUs like 22nm IvyBridge, 14nm Skylake/CometLake can reach temperatures as high as 100°C, which isn't great for the CPU's lifespan. Additionally, components like NVME and PCB hubs also heat up significantly. Also, I don't like it when the fan is constantly running. I prefer it to be very quiet.

Been doing some reading up, and It appears this heating problem on both Laptops and desktops has been ongoing since Ivybridge was released [around 2012], but I have not seen any constructive post on how to cure it

.. but I have not seen any constructive post on how to cure it

As mentioned before, the issue isn't limited to the IvyBridge CPU. The 10th generation CometLake 14nm CPU in a LifeBook U9310 also tends to reach 95-100°C with TurboBoost before the CPU throttles itself. The solution to this is to change the power limits PL1/2 and prevent the Embedded Controller from overwriting the values. This way, I set the temperature to precisely 65°C, and the fan remains off, keeping the laptop cool and quiet.

For the IvyBridge, I've created a simple Bash script that's launched by Systemd and runs as a daemon. It ensures that the CPU reduces its frequency and deactivates TurboBoost once a certain temperature is reached. This is then reverted when the CPU temperature returns to normal levels.

did you not find out why, turbo was constantly running?

Staff online

Members online