Need to find a good Linux distro

No, Windows does have its own privacy concerns and collects data, but Malwarebytes at least helps keep viruses away.

Now, moving to Linux is new for me. I've been using Windows for a long time, and Linux is a bit unfamiliar. I'm not exactly sure how I'd handle a virus from the internet or a USB in my Linux.
Older Linux users might help with that, I from 2019 that I'm using Linux I never encountered a virus

Reactions: T4B

You are suffering from the same affliction other long-time Windows users often have, it's called the Microsoft complex, I have seen it often when people bork their machines by trying to install windows programs direct to their Linux, you need to wean yourself off of the Microsoft way of thinking.
LINUX IS NOT WINDOWS

Older Linux users might help with that, I from 2019 that I'm using Linux I never encountered a virus
I have been a Linux full time user for over 20 years [and more before that part-time] In all that time I have never had a virus or malware bug, it doesn't matter what OS you use or what AV/anti-mailware you have been or do use, the weakest point of security on any computer clearly lays between the back of the seat and the keypad

Now, moving to Linux is new for me. I've been using Windows for a long time, and Linux is a bit unfamiliar. I'm not exactly sure how I'd handle a virus from the internet or a USB in my Linux.

There's only two things you need to do...Keep your system up to date and enable the Firewall.
m01101.gif

I also used windowz for a long time and remember the CD wallet full of virus scanning tools and repair disks I used all the time but that's windowz. I also was paranoid about everything you are now but when I switched to Linux it was like opening a door to freedom.

I am no longer paranoid and scared to turn on my computer and that CD wallet is collecting dust in the cupboard for the last 8 years. We all had to learn and it doesn't take that long because it's not that hard...forget m$ and windowz.
m0114.gif

Last edited:
@T4B :-

I'll echo Brickwizard and Bob here. The firewall is all you need.....that and system updates (which in Linux, actually do some good, as opposed to buggering-up your system every time the way Microsoft ones seem to).

As for those "volunteers" who maintain the system repositories? You can't compare these guys to the sort of people who help out at charity shops and the like. Linux volunteers are usually very conscientious and careful in what they do, because while it takes time to develop a good reputation, it's the work of just seconds to trash it. And these guys don't want that.

For the average user, you can trust the software in a system repository long before you should trust stuff from any "official" website.

In almost a decade with Linux, I've yet to catch owt 'nasty'. And with Puppy Linux running in the unique, slightly 'oddball' way that it does, I have a great deal more freedom to experiment even than the majority of Linux users.....because backups take just a few minutes to re-install. And then I'm off and running again, having usually learnt another lesson along the way.

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
Linux Mint has been a very smooth experience for me especially updates which don't hijack my machine. Don't take ages. Been running 21.2 on my Thinkpad T420 a very smooth wonderful experience,

hey, im new to Linux i need to install Linux for my Toshiba satellite c50-a491 (daily drive) any distro recommendations?

i had installed Ubuntu on my desktop once but the os got broken (a few years ago that time I don't know anything about Linux commands) so I need a stable one to do things like browse the web, play Minecraft,use discord,teamspeak
"Good" is relative to your needs and your skill level using linux. But Ironically, I would probably recommend Ubuntu for you. Huge support base, they're always one of the distros that is included in driver packages for new hardware like gpu's and you have access to one of if not the biggest repositories in Linux with Ubuntu/Debian. The other one I might recommend is popOS. It was developed by system 76 which as you may or may not know build Linux based computer systems.

Staff online

Members online