need help with AMDGPU drivers.

looks like your firmware isn't loading for some reason. taking a look in my vm...
i just wanted to personally say thank you @z7vl7abxc for all the help you've been giving me over these past few days. :D its been really nice solving these issues with help! i would've never been able to do it on my own.

when I type in lspci | greb vga my GPU shows up (both of them ) however when trying to game it doesnt rely on my beefy budget gaming GPU, system relies on the intel GPU which is not intended for gaming. how do I change that?

Code:
 lspci | grep VGA [code]
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation CoffeeLake-S GT2 [UHD Graphics 630]
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 24 [Radeon RX 6400/6500 XT/6500M] (rev c7)
Have a look in your BIOS and see if their is an option to choose.

firmware-amd-graphics/oldstable,oldstable,now 20210315-3 all [installed]
it looks like the specific firmware you need:
Aug 21 09:33:55 mattslmde kernel: amdgpu 0000:03:00.0: Direct firmware load for amdgpu/beige_goby_sos.bin failed with error -2
isn't included in version 20210315-3 of the amd firmware. i believe i found it in a newer version: https://packages.debian.org/bullseye-backports/firmware-amd-graphics

but can't get my lmde5 virtual machine to show me installing that as an option even though backports non-free seems to be active in the repos:
Code:
inxi -r
Repos:
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list 
  1: deb http://packages.linuxmint.com elsie main upstream import backport #id:linuxmint_main
  2: deb https://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main contrib non-free
  3: deb https://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-updates main contrib non-free
  4: deb http://security.debian.org bullseye-security main contrib non-free
  5: deb https://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-backports main contrib non-free

i hesitate to suggest downloading the package from that site even though it is straight from debian. i don't think it would break anything. i believe it would just add the needed firmware, but am not 100% sure about that. to that end, i'll try @Lord_Boltar to see if they might have better advice on how to do that.

I wouldn't install the newer driver/firmware without removing the old AMD driver that isn't loading first.

It's been my experience that if the wrong driver loads first it will cause the device not to work.

all this is getting a bit too advanced for me so imma just wait and chill and hope someone finds a good solution. im not risking ruining the only printer friendly device in the house just to be able to play deep rock galatic again (rip deep rock galatic) thanks for your help guys, i hope we can find a solution soon :)

all this is getting a bit too advanced for me so imma just wait and chill and hope someone finds a good solution. im not risking ruining the only printer friendly device in the house just to be able to play deep rock galatic again (rip deep rock galatic) thanks for your help guys, i hope we can find a solution soon :)
Roger that!

imma just wait and chill and hope someone finds a good solution. im not risking ruining the only printer friendly device in the house just to be able to play deep rock galatic again (rip deep rock galatic) thanks for your help guys, i hope we can find a solution soon :)
i think it has been said, but lmde 5 is based on debian 11. a few distros i have tested that are based on debian 12 have the newer version of amd firmware that should work with your gpu. i don't know how soon it will be out, but lmde 6 will be based on debian 12: https://9to5linux.com/lmde-6-codenamed-faye-linux-mint-21-3-is-planned-for-christmas-2023

Have a look in your BIOS and see if there are any options to select which GPU you want to use.

You can also use the glxinfo command to find more info on which GPU is running the show. See here:

Before you give the Last Resort a try d-message the driver of the GPU if you think the driver isn't loading.
Code:
dmesg <name of driver>

Drivers are listed under lsmod.

The Xorg log is helpful too- Just run this command to see what's going on.
Code:
/var/log/Xorg.0.log

Last Resort: You could blacklist the driver for the GPU that you don't want to run the show. USE Caution here!
IF you decide to do that write down what you did so you can re-enable it again if you have to.
If the driver for the GPU that you didn't blacklist is not loading as it should: the screen will most likely stay black.
i found in my bios where to select the driver, at first it gave an error message about SGX but i fixed that, now it just boots to a black screen. i think i need to troubleshoot with the drivers.

For fun I looked through my Xorg log and the driver/module for my Radeon GPU is loading.
Code:
Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so

[    18.871] (II) Module radeon: vendor="X.Org Foundation"

The AMDGPU driver is working well on my Debian system.

Code:
amdgpu               6713344  0
gpu_sched              49152  1 amdgpu
Code:
i2c_algo_bit           16384  2 amdgpu,radeon
ttm                   114688  2 amdgpu,radeon

I could be mistaken, however if my memory serves me right the AMDGPU driver is already in the Linux kernel.

Hope that helps:-:)
how do i find this?

by the way i dunno if it helps any but

sudo lshw -C display -short
H/W path Device Class Description
===============================================================
/0/100/1/0/0/0 display Navi 24 [Radeon RX 6400/6500
/0/100/2 display CoffeeLake-S GT2 [UHD Graphi

also i found this:
Code:
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers$ ls
amdgpu_drv.so  fbdev_drv.so  modesetting_drv.so  qxl_drv.so     vesa_drv.so
ati_drv.so     intel_drv.so  nouveau_drv.so      radeon_drv.so  vmware_drv.so

i found in my bios where to select the driver, at first it gave an error message about SGX but i fixed that, now it just boots to a black screen. i think i need to troubleshoot with the drivers.
I'd go back into the BIOS and undue what you selected, save the changes and reboot.

Remember our member: z7vl7abxc, said that he was able to determine that the driver isn't loading for your AMD GPU.
Driver conflict is no fun. Been there, done that.
Also, have a look at what I mentioned in post #26.

SGX Information:

@Brickwizard is good with LMDE. If my memory serves me correctly he is currently running it on one of his machines.

I'd go back into the BIOS and undue what you selected, save the changes and reboot.

Remember our member: z7vl7abxc, said that he was able to determine that the driver isn't loading for your AMD GPU.
Driver conflict is no fun. Been there, done that.
Also, have a look at what I mentioned in post #26.

SGX Information:

@Brickwizard is good with LMDE. If my memory serves me correctly he is currently running it on one of his machines.
ty. also btw they are gonna release LMDE 6 with 5.15 kernel sometime this christmas,so all i gotta do is wait and the driver issues will be resolved. so yeah but also ty for the help everyone :D

@Alexzee which post are you referring to? the one where you said to check the xorg logs?

they are gonna release LMDE 6 with 5.15 kernel sometime this christmas
you don't have to worry about that , Mint updater will do it for you without having to do a re-install.
Post #26.

See what @Brickwizard says. He may know a way around this:-

Something I have never had to do, but you could just blacklist the Kernel AMDGPU drivers once you have installed the new ones

you don't have to worry about that , Mint updater will do it for you without having to do a re-install.

Something I have never had to do, but you could just blacklist the Kernel AMDGPU drivers once you have installed the new ones
Yup, blacklisting worked for me in the past.

Members online