need help with AMDGPU drivers.

I went into bois and disabled the intergrated grapgics and that just prevented LMDE5 from being able to boot, and when i try to use the GPU HDMI it still has the same issues, im gonna just wait for the update and hope that fixes my GPU driver issues. :D thanks everyone for the help!

the system is just teasing me now, by putting the AMD RX 6400 as a GPU and not letting me use it LOL

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-08-25 14-15-33.png
    Screenshot from 2023-08-25 14-15-33.png
    54.2 KB · Views: 159
the system is just teasing me now, by putting the AMD RX 6400 as a GPU and not letting me use it LOL
Can you still use your install to go out onto the net and do basic things?

And is your printer still working for you?

Can you still use your install to go out onto the net and do basic things?

And is your printer still working for you?
my system is running good from the internal GPU (intel) and I have full functionality. Figured out the printer issue (had to go to some local:insertnumbershere adress on the web). right now im fully in LMDE5 i just cant use the GPU yet for the ever so important video games lol

1692988747845.png

my system is running good from the internal GPU (intel) and I have full functionality. Figured out the printer issue (had to go to some local:insertnumbershere adress on the web). right now im fully in LMDE5 i just cant use the GPU yet for the ever so important video games lol
Glad to hear you have a working system.

Sorry I can't help further. I'm not well versed in building and compiling a module/driver for the kernel to support newer GPU's.

Since LMDE5 is based on Debian 11 you can use AMD Drivers for Ubuntu Focal
here - https://repo.radeon.com/amdgpu-install/23.10.3/ubuntu/focal/

Also see this article
The article says in part
"The Radeon RX 6400 has been running fine the past week on Linux with Ubuntu 21.10 and 22.04 LTS. Most of my testing has been on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS with its Linux 5.15 kernel and newer and Mesa both stock and with the Oibaf PPA."

The key being the Oibaf PPA - here - https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/ubuntu/graphics-drivers
But that PPA is only for Ubuntu not Debian

would installing the firmware from backports be more stable than trying drivers from a ppa? would those drivers even work without the appropriate firmware loading?

would installing the firmware from backports be more stable than trying drivers from a ppa? would those drivers even work without the appropriate firmware loading?
In this case there is no firmware in the Debian backports, a lot of those drivers has the firmware in it, just not available yet for LMDE 5 (and may never be) which uses the 5.10 Debian kernel series when LMDE 6 comes out it should have the 6.1 Debian kernel, but like I said the PPA is for Ubuntu not Debian

is this not the correct amd graphics firmware in backports?
those AMD Graphics are correct but they are missing Navi 24 which the OP is missing - from his post #12
(inxi -G
Graphics: Device-1: Intel CoffeeLake-S GT2 [UHD Graphics 630] driver: i915 v: kernel
Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Navi 24 [Radeon RX 6400/6500 XT/6500M] driver: N/A)

See here for the list of drivers - https://packages.debian.org/bullseye-backports/all/firmware-amd-graphics/filelist - Navi 24 is not included - why? - most likely AMD has not made it for Linux yet

those AMD Graphics are missing Navi 24
is Navi 24 something different than the firmware files mentioned here?
Code:
Aug 21 09:33:55 mattslmde kernel: amdgpu 0000:03:00.0: firmware: failed to load amdgpu/beige_goby_sos.bin (-2) 
Aug 21 09:33:55 mattslmde kernel: amdgpu 0000:03:00.0: firmware: failed to load amdgpu/beige_goby_sos.bin (-2) 
Aug 21 09:33:55 mattslmde kernel: amdgpu 0000:03:00.0: Direct firmware load for amdgpu/beige_goby_sos.bin failed with error -2 Aug 21 09

is Navi 24 something different than the firmware files mentioned here?
yes different AMD Firmware for different AMDGPU's - see the list as mentioned above - those failed to load but are present - whether the missing Navi 24 is causing the beige_goby_sos to load properly or not is another question - my first reaction would be no, but something wrong in the kernel build

Last edited by a moderator:
yes different AMD Firmware for different AMDGPU's - see the list as mentioned above - those failed to load but are present - whether the missing Navi 24 is causing the beige_goby_sos to load properly or not is another question - my first reaction would be no, but something wrong in the kernel build
That makes sense, something is wrong in the kernel build:-

I suggested to dmesg the driver, not sure if that would help?
Code:
dmesg <nameofdriver>

I should probably read up all on that has been said before I reply, however I will just mention that in the Christmas update to LMDE5 my GPU will be supported. So I am just going to wait patiently.

Members online