Mint 21.1 Vera, looking good for Christmas

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits

WHy I use linux.png

thumb up.png

Be wary...only Download from the Official site.

There are false announcements appearing on imgur etc etc,(SEE BELOW) which will no doubt have a "download link" attached to them.
1671408705750.png

Official site ...NOTE that this currently only shows linux mint 21......the stable release of Linux Mint 21.1 has not yet dropped.

or....better still go to the Downloads page here on Linux.org...and click on Mint.

Remember...you are looking for Linux Mint 21.1 VERA .....not vanessa

Last edited:
Downloaded Mint Cinnamon 21.1 beta...installed it in Virtualbox...everything seemed fine until I tried to update the Update Manager...it stalled and froze...so it was deleted...I'll wait for the stable version.
m1212.gif

I installed Mint Cinnamon 21.1 stable in Virtualbox...everything ran well until I Re-Booted. :eek:

When I Re-Booted to the Desktop...I got the Desktop Icons but no Panel and a black background...so I'm not going to install this on my main SSD.
m09009.gif

I wish Mint would take a leaf out of Linux Lite's Book...I installed in Virtualbox Linux Lite 6.2 which is the latest version...it runs just fine with no problems...doesn't say much for Mint these days.
m09018.gif

On my 10 year old Laptop I replaced the HDD with a 500GB SSD and installed Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3...works and runs perfectly...so it's not me or my computers that's the problem.
t1943.gif

You must have put your false teeth in backwards, Bob. I upgraded via system reports (it told me LM21.1 was available) and it went without drama or fuss.....and still is. I have been giving it a hammering all day. Rock Solid. Not a toe out of place.

Where did your download come from?....I have seen a hell of a lot of 'dodgy' downloads floating around the net over the past few days.

Last edited:
You must have put your false teeth in backwards, Bob. I upgraded via system reports (it told me LM21.1 was available) and it went without drama or fuss.....and still is. I have been giving it a hammering all day. Rock Solid. Not a toe out of place.

Where did your download come from?....I have seen a hell of a lot of 'dodgy' downloads floating around the net over the past few days.

From here...https://linuxmint.com/ Ran checksum too...was ok.

I didn't see this...https://linuxmint.com/rel_vera_cinnamon.php will try changing Graphics Controller to VMSVGA...I'll have to Re-Install Cinnamon 21.1 as I deleted it.
t3604.gif

I downloaded Cinnamon 21.1 again and went to install but Graphics Controller is set to VMSVGA by default so it's not Virtualbox...I might install it on my spare SSD that has Mint Cinnamon 20.3 but I'l create an image first because I don't want this crap happening on the SSD.
t1935.gif

Last edited:
Did you allow sufficient ram and space in Virtual box?

Well been using Vera XFCE since Beta was announced. Did a fresh install when final was announced and everything on my machine is just working out of the box. So It's a good match. Hope others find it as good.

Did you allow sufficient ram and space in Virtual box?

Yes I did...6GB of RAM...20GB Drive and Video Memory set to 256MB as I do with all my VMs.

Mint Cinnamon 20.3 runs great in Virtualbox with the same settings...the problem is with Mint.
t1935.gif

Mint says there are "Known Issues" well why don't they fix them ? Instead of telling people to try workarounds.
t1949.gif

Mint says there are "Known Issues" well why don't they fix them ? Instead of telling people to try workarounds.

I'm not a Mint developer, but I am on the Lubuntu team. We see this a lot. Known bugs get through to the final release for a variety of reasons. It's normal.

There's a few complicated reasons for that. Often, they're not in charge of the software itself. While they can theoretically fix it, it still has to go through approval, get included, get uploaded to a testing repo, get used and tested, and finally make it back down.

Sometimes, there's a feature freeze and software freeze. This means they set themselves a singular target and don't increase the version number - for stability sake or just to mark a line in the sand so that they're not constantly changing it.

Other times, especially when you're using a derivative of a derivative (like Mint does), you have to keep the software the same as is in the default repos, rather than adding more software to your to-do list. So, you're beholden to the authors to fix it and push the patch through.

This is why there are those 'release notes' that we never read.

Guest Additions
To add support for shared folders, drag and drop, proper acceleration and display resolution in Virtualbox, click on the "Devices" menu of Virtualbox and choose "Insert Guest Additions CD Image". Choose "download" when asked and follow the instructions.

Guest sessions​

You can enable guest sessions in the "Login Window" utility, but this option is now disabled by default

??
These are just shots in the dark from me......I know bugger all about virtual box etc

installed Mint Cinnamon 21.1 stable in Virtualbox...everything ran well until I Re-Booted. :eek:

When I Re-Booted to the Desktop...I got the Desktop Icons but no Panel and a black background
What changed during a reboot? A setting in virtual box?

Well it seems Mint Cinnamon 21.1 only runs like crap in Virtualbox.
m09002.gif

I installed it on my spare SSD that had Cinnamon 20.1 on it and so far it runs ok.
m1213.gif
It does Boot a little slower than Cinnamon 19.1 (my main Drive) but overall seems good. I've installed some software and several Browsers...it never asked me to setup Timeshift like other versions.
t1827.gif

This is what it looks like...
2022-12-23-12-13.png

I'll be doing more testing and plan to move to it if everything works out because 19.1 support runs out in April 2023...haven't installed my printer yet or Virtualbox...so fingers crossed.
m1212.gif

I spent the last 3 days installing everything...virtualbox...all Browsers...software and some software didn't work but there's always a workaround.
m1213.gif

All was well until today...I booted to the Desktop...got "Internet Established" but when I tried to go on line...guess what...No Internet and this is the first time this has happened and I've been using Mint since 17.2.
t1935.gif

Some will say...it's your Connection...your Modem...Drivers...WiFi...DNS and I was nearly going to ring my ISP and abuse them.
t2401.gif

I have Mint Cinnamon 19.1 on the other SSD...I booted it up and Internet works fine...that's how I'm posting this. My Laptop has Cinnamon 20.3 and it works fine too.
m1814.gif

Has anyone running 21.1 had this problem...looks I've discovered another "Bug" that there's no fix to yet. I'm going to install Cinnamon 20.3 at least internet works fingers crossed.
m1213.gif

I thought I'll create an image of 21.1 with Foxclone...so if this Bug is fixed I'll just put the Image back on the Drive an apply the fix...but when I booted to the boot menu...my Flash Drive didn't show but does in 19.1...another problem I've never had before...what a joke.
t1935.gif

No problems here...good as gold. :)

Was that 'internet established' wifi or ethernet cable ?

I haven't been into it all that much, yet, but one problem so far, I am finding is with the Bibata cursor they default to now.

I am a large DMZ-White fan myself, so I changed it to that but it is intermittent in how it uses it.

Depending on whether I am working windowed or fullscreen, it will change from DMZ-white to Bibata's black as I cross backwards and forwards.

I'll look it up and see if the problem has been reported, and if not, report it. However if anyone else wants to try the exercise and let me know, that's cool.

Wiz

I just switched to DMZ white....it appears to work ok....no switching from white to black as you describe.

The only 'black' that does happen, is when I hover over a clickable link....it then changes to a black hand with a finger pointing

So when I navigate to the 'post reply' button on this page, it will display the black hand with a pointing finger.

Other than that..all good.

I rebooted as well ....and tested again.

Members online