Love the One You’re With *****

Ziggi

Reaction score
Credits
As many of you head to the Sales in shops and online – perhaps looking for that feel-good retail therapy. Seeking out that shiny new gizmo – smartphone or even a laptop.

When was the last time you bought a new laptop? It’s likely it wasn’t more than 3 years ago, or 5 at a push. It’s estimated that 160 million new laptops are made every year, and a total of 160,000 are thrown away every day in the EU. But what is the impact of this? And how can one be sure they are buying a sustainable and ethical laptop? Please read this first…

https://mossy.earth/guides/lifestyle/environmentally-friendly-laptop

I was thinking of buying a new Pixel phone so that I can flash GrapheneOS (again) but have decided to stay with my GrapheneOS Pixel 3a for now – as I do not really need 5g. As for laptops – I just love what I’ve got – with Linux distros of course..!

Enjoy your day :)

Do you have Gapps installed with GrapheneOS? I had a Google Pixel 3a XL for a few years and ran LineageOS without gapps on it. However I had an issue with a lot of notifications not working if the app hadn't implemented their own notification system, not a huge problem but just annoying for certain chatapps. Also 3-4 months ago I signed up for the gym and the gym app didn't play well well LineageOS without Gapps so I bought a new phone with stock Android, a Google Pixel 6A which I hope to be using for the next 5-6 years.

If Allowed (AOSP) perhaps you can start a Graphene-OS Topic.

I am probably the last person on Earth you want to talk to about the commercial side of Goolag. :mad: But I can tell you that you are supposed to be able to use Goolag's apps safely sandboxed with Graphene-OS.

Using Graphene-OS for about 4 years now without any issues after dreadful experience with /e/ phone - got my money back. :cool:

season's greetings to you and yours - Ziggi

As many of you head to the Sales in shops and online – perhaps looking for that feel-good retail therapy. Seeking out that shiny new gizmo – smartphone or even a laptop.

When was the last time you bought a new laptop? It’s likely it wasn’t more than 3 years ago, or 5 at a push. It’s estimated that 160 million new laptops are made every year, and a total of 160,000 are thrown away every day in the EU. But what is the impact of this? And how can one be sure they are buying a sustainable and ethical laptop? Please read this first…
The average consumer is a dumb hick (this forum's company not included) with zero consideration for anything outside his field of vision. Any trash he were to make vanishes in his frame of mind as soon it leaves his sight, not limited by means of garbage truck. I am capable of mustering some pretty severe harsh language in both my native tongue and english language, and even I am a loss for choice words I would present to such people upon encounter.

This "understanding" stems from the fact that I am a part of a collective of forest owners, of which is every autumn visited by chestnut collectors. There is a clear and present warning in the form of a sign where it states that littering is strictly prohibited. The whole f***ing sign gets buried under A MOUNTAIN of garbage every year at the end of the season. For the last 3 years now, we, the owners, are literally patrolling the forest with our guard dogs, trying to find the putrid scum that has the audacity to leave their litter on the forest floor. As of yet, we caught 6 people right in the act of dropping litter on the floor during our walks. All but one were held until picked up by police and removed from the premises with a fine for littering and one got picked up by an ambulance, after being released going straight to jail for attempting aggravated assault, littering, calumny and attempted robbery (got filmed in the act, tried to take owners camera by force and got the s**t beat out of him and a thigh torn apart by a guard dog).

While I don't buy laptops, I support your narrative. But you must understand that there are limits to upgradeability. Once a technical milestone is reached, some changes have to be made that limit backwards compatibility. I believe however, that the EU is doing a good job in walking a fine line between minimizing waste expenditure and encouraging innovation. Did you know that the most recent decision they made was to force all mobile device manufacturers (yes, even apple) to use USB-C as their standard for mobile device chargers?

EDITED BY STAFF - just remember we are a PG-13 site. Wizard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey BigBadBeef – I have to admit I quite like your Bull in a China Shop post meeting My Topic heads down hoof scraping the ground ;) Hahaha :)

Joking apart – though drifting off eWaste laptops into litter – I agree with you as I have first hand knowledge of littering and dumping commercial waste in woodlands and other beauty spots.

I used to help my sustainable charcoal friends in a woodland by splitting logs for the slow cooker converter… You have no idea how therapeutic splitting logs with a long axe can be as when you stop overthinking the strike your subconscious takes over with remarkable accuracy. A far cry from my job as a freelance design engineer sat in front of a large monitor all day...:)
While I don't buy laptops
What do you use...?

What do you use...?
A pc and a Tablet. Pc is from 2015 and tablet from 2017. Both well maintained and fully functional.
Btw I wasn't there when the violence happened. I heard about it... and coincidentally saw it when the cops and ambulance rushed in through the rural gravel road that goes by me into the forest.

So far, I’ve never bought a brand new PC.
All of my PC’s/laptops have been reconditioned/second hand.
I haven’t kept track exactly, but my current laptop has been with me for at least 8 years and is still going strong!

So far, I’ve never bought a brand new PC.
All of my PC’s/laptops have been reconditioned/second hand.
I haven’t kept track exactly, but my current laptop has been with me for at least 8 years and is still going strong!
Laptops were never meant to be performers, those that are are either corporate or abominations (IMHO). Keep it clean (I swear to god, I once found pubes in the laptop I was hired to clean), keep it well maintained, and it will serve you for a long time!

Laptops were never meant to be performers, those that are are either corporate or abominations (IMHO).

LOL What are we considering an 'abomination' in this case?

I was gonna point out the 'mobile workstations' that you can get from places like Titan, but that might be an abomination. They're pricey, but they're beasts if you configure 'em to be such. I guess they're kinda corporate.

LOL What are we considering an 'abomination' in this case?

I was gonna point out the 'mobile workstations' that you can get from places like Titan, but that might be an abomination. They're pricey, but they're beasts if you configure 'em to be such. I guess they're kinda corporate.
Think about it - just think on how much extra you're paying just so that you could carry around desktop pc power with you. And the struggle to keep it cool enough so it doesn't thermal throttle. And the battery life under load. There is no going around it, its just crock!

There is no going around it, its just crock!

It's actually not that bad. While using the device, when the battery was new, I'd get about 8.5 hours of use - while using the system.

I do a lot on my devices, like have multiple VMs running at the same time to test things. For example, right now I have 1 instance of VirtualBox with 3 VMs running. So, I actually use those resources.

That said, I can kinda understand 'abomination' - but not really 'crock' ('cause I actually use the resources).

I don't like to always be in my study. I am not always home. When I did buy this more expensive machine, I was on the road probably about half of my time. Lugging a desktop would have been a bit much.

That laptop does get warm, but I have an MSI that barely gets above room temp. I'm not sure how they managed it, but it's quite impressive.

I suppose it'd be a crock if I didn't actually use the resources, but I do. I also definitely don't like to be tied to a location all the time. I have two powerful computers that I use and one less powerful computer. The rest are all mobile devices.

Members online

Latest posts