Linux won't detect WiFi adapter

EUPHORICFUL

Reaction score
Credits
Hello I am new to computers but knew I needed to get off of windows 11, so I installed Linux Lite as it looked like a good alternative. On windows 11, every time I booted up my PC I had to disable and re enable my WiFi adapter to connect to the internet, but Linux can't detect my adapter. Windows is completely gone and I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers. No drivers were detected, and I ran a few other commands but none seemed to fix the issue. My PC is a $150 Gateway laptop from Walmart. EDIT- I can connect to the internet via tethering but would like to be able to use WiFi.

Welcome to the forums
you probably need a proprietary driver
boot your Linux Lite, install inxi from the software manager [if its not already installed]. Tether your phone.
then open a terminal and run inxi -Nn then copy and paste the results back here. I am on line for another hour,

Device-1: Realtek 802.11n WLAN Adapter type: USB
driver: btusb
IF-ID-1: usb0 state: unknown speed: -1 duplex: half
mac: aa:dc:f8:dd:ca:24
sorry for taking so long reddit was no help

Thanks but this has little value, it is telling us its a Realtek usb wi-fi but, not which chipset. you will need to download and install the correct drivers which are different for each chip set, an inxi report usually shows the full chip set number.

Example,, this is my inxi on my dell lappy with a RTL usb dongle
wizard@the-answer-42:~$ inxi -Nn
Network:
Device-1: Marvell 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet driver: sky2
IF: enp9s0 state: down mac: f0:4d:a2:a3:f6:4f
Device-2: Broadcom BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY driver: wl
IF: wlp12s0 state: up mac: 1c:65:9d:32:f0:d5
Device-3: Realtek RTL8192CU 802.11n WLAN Adapter type: USB
driver: rtl8192cu
IF: wlxf81a670e123a state: up mac: f8:1a:67:0e:12:3a

I talked to Gateway customer support and they gave me a link to download a driver for my adapter after I gave them the model number, now I believe all I have to do is activate the driver

I hope It's for the Linux drivers and not Windows drivers, as they are not cross compatible

I clarified to them that I installed Linux on my machine, do you know how I could try to activate the driver that they gave me ?

paste the link we will have a look

ok I am off to bed now, if no one else picks up on it, I will check it out in the morning

If anyone else sees this post, I believe this is my chipset
CPU: Dual Core Intel Celeron N4020 (-MCP-) speed/min/max: 1504/800/2800 MHz
Kernel: 5.15.0-73-generic x86_64 Up: 43m Mem: 1569.1/3741.7 MiB (41.9%)
Storage: 1.88 TiB (0.8% used) Procs: 212 Shell: bash 5.1.16 inxi: 3.0.38

That is your cpu chipset, not your wi-fi

driver: btusb
IF-ID-1: usb0 state: unknown speed: -1 duplex: half
mac: aa:dc:f8:dd:ca:24
sorry for taking so long reddit was no help
From this output, it looks like the wifi adapter is a Realtek item. One needs to know the details of its chipset and driver. Usually the output of the following command show these:
Code:
lsusb
If you run that command, show the output here within code tags, there may some useful output from which a solution can be proposed.

If you don't know how to use code tags, check out how the square brackets are used under the heading "Creating Code" down the page here: https://www.bbcode.org/how-to-use-bbcode-a-complete-guide.php

I sent the link it is awaiting moderator approval
DO NOT TRY TO USE >>> THESE ARE DRIVERS FOR WIN10&11

go back to my post #2 and install /run INXI on linux

I am assuming this is one of those Walmart Gateway Laptops. I had bought one of these for my kids and it was terribly slow to the point where they wouldn't use it.
I had decided to try installing linux on the device and boy did I run into a handful of issues with the build.

I ultimately found myself where you were and did the following to resolve my issue.

1. Tether you device for internet via cellphone (USB) I did this with my IPhone.

2. Follow these instructions on your device
a. https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8723du
b. Follow the instructions for Ubuntu
c. Follow the instructions for All Distros
d. Unload and Reload the Kernel Module
e. Reboot your computer.

3. You're welcome

Members online

Latest posts