Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon HP Device Manager Not Seeing Printer / Dependencies Missing SOLVED

Alexzee

Reaction score
Credits
I'm running Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon on a custom 64-bit build: Asus X 570 Gaming desktop.

Cups see's my printer however; the HP Device Manager doesn't see the printer because of 14 missing dependencies.

Code:
ENVY_110_series_21F106_
-----------------------
Type: Unknown
Device URI: implicitclass://ENVY_110_series_21F106_/
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/ENVY_110_series_21F106_.ppd
warning: Failed to read /etc/cups/ppd/ENVY_110_series_21F106_.ppd ppd file
PPD Description:
Printer status: printer ENVY_110_series_21F106_ is idle.  enabled since Tue 16 Nov 2021 08:43:14 AM EST
warning: Printer is not HPLIP installed. Printers must use the hp: or hpfax: CUPS backend for HP-Devices.

HP_ENVY_110_series
------------------
Type: Unknown
Device URI: dnssd://ENVY%20110%20series%20%5B21F106%5D._pdl-datastream._tcp.local/?uuid=1c852a4d-b800-1f08-abcd-ac162d21f106
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/HP_ENVY_110_series.ppd
warning: Failed to read /etc/cups/ppd/HP_ENVY_110_series.ppd ppd file
PPD Description:
Printer status: printer HP_ENVY_110_series is idle.  enabled since Tue 09 Nov 2021 11:46:02 AM EST
warning: Printer is not HPLIP installed. Printers must use the hp: or hpfax: CUPS backend for HP-Devices.

--------------
| PERMISSION |
--------------

-----------
| SUMMARY |
-----------

Missing Required Dependencies
-----------------------------
error: 'libcups2' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libdbus-1-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libjpeg8-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libcups2-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'cups-bsd' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'cups-client' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libcupsimage2-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'build-essential' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libusb-1.0.0-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libsane-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libavahi-client-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libavahi-core-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libavahi-common-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'python3-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libtool' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libtool-bin' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'build-essential' package is missing/incompatible

Missing Optional Dependencies
-----------------------------
error: 'xsane' package is missing/incompatible

Total Errors: 17
Total Warnings: 2

I checked each pkg with dpkg -L to see and 3 of the 17 dependencies are already installed.

Should I install each pkg one at a time?
OR> should I just make one long command with comma's to get all of the dependencies installed?

have you tried going to printers uninstalling and re-installing [had to do this with my envy]

have you tried going to printers uninstalling and re-installing [had to do this with my envy]
No I haven't tried that.

Do you mean this?
Screenshot from 2021-11-16 10-30-19.png

There aren't any options in that small GUI to uninstall and re-install:-

clock on the printer to highlight it, then click on printer in the task bar, scroll down and click on delete [do the same for both] then click on add and follow the process to select your printer, once loaded click on printer icon to highlight, go to printer scroll down and set as default

addendum
It should load 3 packages from the repository,
HPLIP
Print-driver-Hpcups
Print-driver-postscript-hp
...notes..
the ink indicator will not work
scanning is done using simplescan
wireless is set up via the printer and your Wi-fi in the network controller

good luck

Last edited:
clock on the printer to highlight it, then clock on printer in the task bar, scroll down and click on delete [do the same for both] then click on add and follow the process to select your printer, once loaded click on printer icon to highlight, go to printer scroll down and set as default
I was able to delete one of the printers.
When I right click on the other printer and click delete in the drop down menu it adds the printer instead of deleting it.

pull the usb then delete
re-connect usb and then add printer
there use to be a bug and it would load multiple printers if it dose highlight and make the first one default, and try to do a print, if it works great if not go back highlight the second and try again ...provided one works just ignore the other.

pull the usb then delete
re-connect usb and then add printer
there use to be a bug and it would load multiple printers if it dose highlight and make the first one default, and try to do a print, if it works great if not go back highlight the second and try again ...provided one works just ignore the other.
This is not a usb printer.
It's a wireless HP Envy 110 all in one connected to my WiFi network.

Now the HPLIP Manager see's it but for some reason there is a device communication error.
Not sure what that means......

Printer MGR.png

I'll Google the error and see if that helps.

I think it's dependencies missing but I could be wrong.

What do you think brickwizard?

Last edited:
Couple things might help install hplip-gui and use that to install the printer.
HTML:
sudo apt install hplip-gui
That should pull any missing dependencies.
once installed go to menu and in the search bar type hp. Your looking for the item hplip toolbox

That will bring up a dialog box select the one that says
Code:
network/Ethernet/wireless network.
click next and see if it finds your printer. If not click the back arrow and the advanced setting about halfway down the page.
then select manual and enter the printers IP address. then try again. Good luck.

The other thing you can do which helps is set the printers IP address to a static number outside the normal DNS range say in the 200's so depending upon your network address it would look something like this 192.168.0.214 or something like that. The reason for this is that if you have your printer to use the auto select of DNS then the printer address on the network can change between reboots or if you add another item to the network.

Last edited:
Couple things might help install hplip-gui and use that to install the printer.
HTML:
sudo apt install hplip-gui
That should pull any missing dependencies.
once install go to menu and in the search bar type hp toolbox.
The other thing you can do which help is set the printers IP address to a static number outside the normal DNS range say in the 200's so depending upon your network address it would look somthing like this 192.168.0.214 or something like that.
The HPLIP GUI is already installed so that's good.

Code:
Reading state information... Done
hplip-gui is already the newest version (3.21.2+dfsg1-2+klbkfocal).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

I entered in the printers URI and since then the HP Device Manager see's the printer but there is a device communication error (5012) and I'm not sure how to fix that.

Confused at this point:-

device communication error (5012)
I think this code is usually associated with the wi-fi connection , are you using the wi-fi or USB cable?

I have no help, but this would hurt my eyes. I stick to fonts that are easy to read, though I suppose pretty much all of them are easy to read if you've given it enough time.

I'm using the wi-fi.
ok.. I am going to be silly now... have you set up your WI-fi connection correctly ? and do you open the wi-fi [connection] manager and select your printer before trying to print

ok.. I am going to be silly now... have you set up your WI-fi connection correctly ? and do you open the wi-fi [connection] manager and select your printer before trying to print
Yes-

Well sorry Alex you now have me stumped... I can go no further at this stage

Well sorry Alex you now have me stumped... I can go no further at this stage
Ok, I get it:-

I'm going through Google pages of "device communication error 5012" trying to find a solution.
Most of which apply to printers that are connected via USB. As I mentioned before this printer is wireless:-

Anyway, would it hurt to install those dependencies that are not installed that the hp-check complained about?

when you installed by the add printer method all dependencies should have loaded from there as they are included in the HPLIP Print-driver-Hpcups packages

when you installed by the add printer method all dependencies should have loaded from there as they are included in the HPLIP Print-driver-Hpcups packages
Thanks!

Members online