Linux and Ham Radio.

kc1di

Reaction score
Credits
Many Ham Radio ops are looking to use Linux but feel the software available is not sufficient. I would like to assure them that there is much software for Ham Radio written for Linux.

To start with there is a little known Linux distro that is full of Software ready to use. Developed by Andy KB1OIQ. Found here,

There are several good logging software some of my favorites are
Xlog - can be found in most Linux repositories. Simple effective Log book. Can export adif files.
Jlog - Jave script Log book, Cross platform Very comprehensive. Found here.
CQRLog --

Digital software-
FLdigi - found in most Linux Distro repositories.

There is quite a list found here also:

There is a ton of Ham Radio software available just do a web search and it will reveal a multitude of good linux software.
some sites that may be of help.
enjoy the hobby and Linux too :)

Many Ham Radio ops are looking to use Linux but feel the software available is not sufficient. I would like to assure them that there is much software for Ham Radio written for Linux.

To start with there is a little known Linux distro that is full of Software ready to use. Developed by Andy KB1OIQ. Found here,

There are several good logging software some of my favorites are
Xlog - can be found in most Linux repositories. Simple effective Log book. Can export adif files.
Jlog - Jave script Log book, Cross platform Very comprehensive. Found here.

CQRLog --

Digital software-
FLdigi - found in most Linux Distro repositories.

There is quite a list found here also:

There is a ton of Ham Radio software available just do a web search and it will reveal a multitude of good linux software.
some sites that may be of help.

enjoy the hobby and Linux too :)

Ironically I was just reading a thread on the Mint forums with Ham operators wanting a dedicated section for their hobby.

I know this doesn't contribute to your theme here but the timing of it was right on.

I've passed all the various practice tests online. In fact, I've found a few 'dumps' and can pass those tests just fine. I don't know Morse code, but I don't need to anymore - and haven't needed to for years. I even have a giant mast antenna that lies disassembled in a barn. I even live on the side of a mountain!

By all rights, I should probably be a ham. I've just never done it. Every time I give it serious thought, I don't want to invest the time in a new hobby. Then, I think of the benefits in an emergency situation. But, if it's a true poop-hit-the-fan situation, I don't think the FCC is gonna care a whole lot about checking my license.

@KGIII By all rights, I should probably be a ham. I've just never done it. Every time I give it serious thought, I don't want to invest the time in a new hobby. Then, I think of the benefits in an emergency situation. But, if it's a true poop-hit-the-fan situation, I don't think the FCC is gonna care a whole lot about checking my license.

Well it's easier today I had to pass the 21 WPM code test back in the day I got my extra license. But I have loved Morse since I was a kid. Got my first license in 1966. Had one ever since. Been a great Hobby. Was a High Speed Morse op when i was in the Army. They don't use it much any more but I stay practiced. Morse will get through when nothing else will. In fact it was through Ham Radio I first came to Linux. Saw an add in a Ham Magazine and ordered the 25 or so floppy disc to put Slackware on my 386 computer. So go for it :)

Well it's easier today I had to pass the 21 WPM code test back in the day I got my extra license.

I do know Morse enough to bang it out REALLY slowly and I can't even write it down fast enough when I listen to you folks who are fast at it. Those guys who use two fingers with the fancier switches are insanely fast. I can keep up for maybe the first letter.

I do remember which letter is which. There's no way I can (currently) do it at speed. I'm sure I could learn and get faster with practice.

I'd say we could probably talk to each other on the radio - but that'd just be too easy 'cause we could do it with cell phones. At this point, I'm pretty sure I'll never invest the time.

I do have a couple of pretty fancy scanners.

Members online

Latest posts