Let's hear your experiences: AMD vs. Intel (processors and other accessories)

C

CrazedNerd

I'm wondering this, i brought this up here a while ago within one of my other deleted threads since the linux.org Great Erasure that happened recently.

So, if some general purpose computer users (combination of everything) asked you which one was better, would you be able to give them an opinionated answer? I think there has been a little bit of bickering about this in the gamer community. AMD has a reputation for being targeted towards gamers and running hotter, and they've been around longer. Intel is pretty much has the best reputation in corporate computing due to the temperature thing.

I personally think that AMD tend to have less problems discovered after manufacturing, but they are more fragile since their pins are located on the processor itself instead of in the socket...but beyond that i just don't really have enough experience to say which manufacturer is better.

I've never really had any bad experiences with either AMD or Intel, my desktop system has an Intel cpu and my server system has an AMD cpu. I think when I replace my current system(which will be a while) I will go for the one that gives better/more performance for what it is priced at.

Kinda like asking which is better Chevy or Ford long as it gets me where I'm going makes no difference to me I own both.

I have used both and both have worked well for me. Only problem I've ever had was with Nvidia graphics card I had in an AMD machine. But even that got sorted until Nvidia dropped linux support for that card. Shame cause it was still a good Machine. AMD and Intel seem to work well with Linux.

Me Too. :mad:
I hate Nvidia. :mad:
Nvidia is garbage.
Nvidia support for Linux sucks. :mad:
I've never had issues with either AMD or Nvidia graphics card but nvidia-settings can be a pita sometimes, however that's because Nvidia puts more effort into developing for Windows than for Linux when it comes to their drivers and settings interface. Currently I have an RTX 3090 in my system and before that I was using an RX 6700XT.

I've never had issues with either AMD or Nvidia graphics card but nvidia-settings can be a pita sometimes, however that's because Nvidia puts more effort into developing for Windows than for Linux when it comes to their drivers and settings interface. Currently I have an RTX 3090 in my system and before that I was using an RX 6700XT.
Linux and Nvidia work together if you have a new / newer Nvidia graphics card however if you don't you're SOL.

Nvidia graphics cards I have work well with Windows OSs.

Well as I said had it working well but when xorg changed a number of year ago my Nvidia card was dropped by Nvidia along with several others and they never did a driver upgrade for those cards. Rendering them obsolete it was a shame because that machine worked well. I ran it until it was impossible to keep it up to date software wise. Then put puppy on it and my granddaughter used it for a couple years more. It finally died.

In any event it has a dual core AMD that worked great with Linux. Now using intel i5 and it works well also.

In the days of single core processors I was overclocking the hell out my processors.

AMD seemed to be ahead of Intel and seemed to be better for overclocking.

I don't know which I'd choose if buying new haven't really looked into it.

I'd probably do what @f33dm3bits said and go for the processor which offers the most bang per buck.

I personally think that AMD tend to have less problems discovered after manufacturing, but they are more fragile since their pins are located on the processor itself instead of in the socket...
Not anymore. AMD has gone LGA.
I hate Nvidia.
Nvidia is garbage.
Calm down, you're gonna get an ulcer! Nvidia has become garbage, but it wasn't back in the days when I bough mine. Please note that I'm not a nvidia apologist, I too am disgusted over what they have done over the latest gpu line-up.
Linux and Nvidia work together if you have a new / newer Nvidia graphics card however if you don't you're SOL.
2014 nvidia gpu owner here. No problems aside from minute inconveniences which can be attributed with the driver optimization whose effort is proportional to the market share Linux has.
Nvidia graphics cards I have work well with Windows OSs.
It would have been kind of embarassing if they didn't. I mean can you imagine nvidia, who has been in the gpu sector for long, would have driver issues that ARC does?
In the days of single core processors I was overclocking the hell out my processors.

AMD seemed to be ahead of Intel and seemed to be better for overclocking.

I don't know which I'd choose if buying new haven't really looked into it.

I'd probably do what @f33dm3bits said and go for the processor which offers the most bang per buck.
I'd go bang PER WATT. Modern hardware is now using hair dryer levels of power or more. I've had 750W electric heaters in my house when I was a kid and we didn't have central heating. It pays nowadays to buy smart, not cheap. Saving a few bucks on a cpu won't help you much if you later on overpaid it on the electric bill. Fortunately GamersNexus has a metric in their reviews which lets them state how much work you can exert from you CPU per every unit of power spent.

AMD is the most bang for the buck. Just at Microcenter in Cincinnati last Thursday. Ryzen 5500 was 89 bucks. the 5600 is 119 bucks. B550 Motherboards are under 200. Ryzen 5600 vs Intel Core i5-10600K at 195.00. AMD is less watts. Never had an issue with AMD have been a fan since the K7 Athlon. AMD bought ATI so AMD GPU's running in both of my systems. With the regular desktop running an RX 550 with 4GB. Do not have issues with drivers.

The new thing coming from Intel is Intel on Demand. "The software-defined platform will enable system administrators to pay an additional fee to activate special-purpose accelerators integrated into its 4th Generation Xeon Scalable. "

That's why I stay away from HP printers anymore. Pay for their ink or you printer will not print, if you cancel the instant ink program. People want convenience, but that seems to not be so "convenient"

I don't own a printer anymore printers are a PITA imo.

Anything I need to have printed goes onto a usb thumb drive and then I go to office depot and use their copier / printer.

May sound like a hassle but it ain't and no more PITA printer problems.

That's why I stay away from HP printers anymore.
I have 2 an old Photosmart and a 4 yrs old Envy, both worked beautifully up to about a year agoI, now they will not recognise a re-filled colour cartages, black is ok on both, I looked at an Epsom but as i use a lot of 120 & 180 gms high sheen professional paper the domestic range is no good as they have a max of 100gms, also i use paper sizes down to A/B 6 and photo sizes which also are not compatible as a lot are A4 only

Printer wise, Canon all in one from Wally world for 50 bucks wireless, copy, print, photo paper printing seems the best if you just need to print things. Cheap enough as I have one 2 years older and it is cheaper to buy a new printer than the ink to refill the one I have.

Pretty soon with Intel, HP, even BMW with 18 dollars a month for heated seats, and Mercedes 1200 dollars a year for acceleration performance upgrades. I buy something I own it, I don't need a DLC on manufactured products.

Hey buy this car and pay 30 grand and then 100 a month for the unlocked feature which allows you to start it everyday. :mad:
Buy this laptop, but if you install Linux on it it will no longer work, or maybe you can install Linux if you pay blah blah per month to allow the BIOS unlock feature....... we are getting jacked over by the whole, "You wont' own anything and you'll be happy" new world.

I think printers geared towards normal non-business consumers tend to just be crap. I was an HP customer for years but they don't tend to last very long.

Before I start this I will warn you: I am really biased in AMD's favour. I've only ever owned AMD laptops basically all my life, with the exception of one laptop that was Intel. That said, I really like AMD a lot more than Intel. In my opinion, if it weren't for AMD making the Ryzen processor, Intel wouldn't have needed to create multi-core processors as they would be the only ones dominating in the x86_64 CPU space. I also think AMD's graphics cards are better despite owning a laptop with an NVIDIA chip in it lol.

if it weren't for AMD making the Ryzen processor, Intel wouldn't have needed to create multi-core processors

... Ryzen wasn't even created until like 2017. Multi-core processors have been around (from both companies) for more than a decade.

... Ryzen wasn't even created until like 2017. Multi-core processors have been around (from both companies) for more than a decade.
Lol I didn't clarify. I meant hecta and octa-core processors for consumers. Intel did have them however AMD made them much cheaper

Core2Duo was already multi-core.

Staff online