Jeg bliver hele tiden overrasket ! (I am constantly surprised!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aclund

Reaction score
Credits
Det hender nyt hele tiden, hvor jeg bliver optaget som medlem ! jeg bliver med tiden en kendt person ! Måske er det pga. at jeg lærer nyt om funktionerne !

@aclund
we have already requested that you post in English [as per the rules of the site]

Dansk: Hej, Aclund, ifølge en af reglerne herinde skal kommunikationen foregå på engelsk. Hvis du har svært ved engelsk, er du velkommen til at sende mig en privat besked (PM), og jeg vil med glæde forsøge at hjælpe dig. Men en af vores hovedregler er, at vi kommunikerer på engelsk, så alle kan forstå hinanden, uanset hvilket land de kommer fra. Desværre er Google ofte ikke tilstrækkelig god til at lave præcise oversættelser i mange situationer.

Engelsk: Hey, Aclund, according to one of the rules here, communication should be in English. If you struggle with English, you're welcome to send me a private message, and I'll happily try to assist you. But one of our primary rules is that we communicate in English so that everyone can understand each other, regardless of their country of origin. Unfortunately, Google often isn't efficient enough to provide accurate translations in many situations.

I know you're trying to be nice, but we do not translate for the person. This onus is theirs and theirs alone.

(This is the position taken by our administration. So, we're unified with this.)

I know you're trying to be nice, but we do not translate for the person. This onus is theirs and theirs alone.

(This is the position taken by our administration. So, we're unified with this.)
Are you addressing me? I'm fluent in Danish, which is why I suggested a private message as an option. The Danish to English translation I provided was primarily for your understanding, not necessarily for me or the other person. I'm already familiar with the language. I'm not asking for any translations on his behalf. My intention is solely to assist in clarifying things and ensuring rules are followed. Isn't clarity and adherence to guidelines a shared goal? Or is there another aspect I'm overlooking?

Are you addressing me?

Yes (and anyone else that might follow suit). We're strictly an English-only site. We don't translate for them, nor do we respond in a language other than English. Well, it'd probably slide if your response to them had been in their language telling them that they must translate to English.

I'd be a little more lenient, but this is how it is. We were a bit more lenient for a while, but that is no more. I follow the lead set by our admins.

As far as I'm concerned, the biggest reason for English-only is that we don't have moderators in all the various languages. We moderators also don't have the time to hit up a translator every time. That and translators are still lacking in accuracy.

So, the result is that we're English-only.

This should be listed in the rules somewhere, but I don't think it has yet been edited. So, it's perfectly okay that you didn't know.

Well, it'd probably slide if your response to them had been in their language telling them that they must translate to English.
It doesn't make sense to me. If you're suggesting that you don't have moderators for various languages, then it might be more effective if I provided an English translation beneath my original statement. This way, there's no need to rely on Google Translate. It seems more logical to me than just speaking in Danish. I didn't translate the message for him, I translated it for myself. I wanted you to understand what I conveyed in Danish without needing to use a translator. Is the issue here related to private messaging? My intention was to assist without burdening you with the task of telling someone who doesn't speak English to only communicate in English. Am I overlooking something?

I understand English only, but in my experience, when you encounter someone who can't, replying in English doesn't resolve the situation. Since we're both from Denmark, this seemed like a swift solution that would be more effective. If I'm mistaken, I apologize but that made more sense to me.

If I'm mistaken, I apologize but that made more sense to me.

You may make valid points, but that doesn't change the policy. I'd not be the person to address that with. For that, you need an admin. I would suggest a civil, thoughtful, PM to express your thoughts to @wizardfromoz. I doubt that'll change anything, but it's the right person to talk to. I am simply a janitor.

I am locking thread for now, while I consult with Staff.I have read all inputs and appreciate them.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts