Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd please sign up again. Thanks!

Issue with Bang & Olufsen speakers

Discussion in 'Arch' started by i cannot be helped, May 31, 2017.

1. i cannot be helped

i cannot be helped New Member

I've already tried that; it doesn't seem to have worked for me yet. The last time I used it, it showed a different driver and different pin numbers. Right now it's giving me segfaults when I try to run it after a stream of lines like this:

Code:
    (hda-jack-retask:6028): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_combo_box_text_insert: assertion 'text != NULL' failed

I'm trying the Intel drivers and AMD drivers now; I've gone on an installing spree.

Rob likes this.
  2. ryanvade

ryanvade Moderator
    Staff Member

The intel audio drivers are already installed, they are included in the kernel itself.

3. i cannot be helped

...then I don't know what to do.

4. atanere

atanere Moderator
    Gold Supporter

If the Beats Audio tweaks to alsa mentioned above do not give any help, then I'm at a loss too. @JasKinasis noted earlier that your kernel version is a little behind, and it might help to update that since it is the source for your sound drivers. Or as I also mentioned earlier, you might try some other distros, especially the latest versions with more recent kernels. I just installed Linux Mint 18.2-beta and it included Kernel 4.8, as does Peppermint 8. Booting a live distro might show you if the sound issue has been fixed or improved.

5. ryanvade

ryanvade Moderator
    Staff Member

Arch is on 4.10.13 at the moment.
    Update your os. If you are running Arch, then it is horribly outdated.

6. i cannot be helped

...so I should distro-hop until I find something that updates its packages at similar speeds? What's the fastest rolling-release distro out there?

7. maxpro4u

maxpro4u New Member

try installing the LTS kernel.

8. ryanvade

ryanvade Moderator
    Staff Member

Not necessarily, I just suggest you make sure your system is fully up-to-date and not to use an outdated kernel. The realtek drivers available in their custom 3.0 kernel are in the main kernel now. If you want to use Arch, you should install it manually. Perhaps even use the LTS kernel as @maxpro4u suggested.

There are other rolling releases. My other favorite RR distro is OpenSUSE Tumbleweed.

atanere and wizardfromoz like this.
  9. wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz Active Member

Hi i cannot be helped (you know I am going to shorten that, don't you, if we have more dealings), hi all.

https://www.slant.co/topics/6289/~rolling-release-linux-distributions

Of those listed, I use:

• Manjaro (based on Arch)
    • Sabayon (based on Gentoo)
    • Gecko Linux (based on openSUSE Tumbleweed) and
    • PCLinuxOS
    I have mixed results with Debian, it usually doesn't like my Graphics drivers. I like it, it just does not reciprocate, lol.

If you want to get right into the ins and outs of RR, might be better starting another Topic, unless use of same solves your Subject matter problem/s - I will leave that to Staff?

We have a Member recently joined whom is an audiophile, uses a number of Linux and also Windows ... I can flag this for his attention and see if he wishes to contribute.

Cheers all and enjoy Linux ... I do, every day!

Wizard

atanere likes this.
  10. JasKinasis

JasKinasis Member

Um.... No I didn't. i said that the source code he'd downloaded for the driver was written for a much earlier version of the kernel.

The OP is running Arch. Arch is probably the most bleeding edge distro out there. Nothing I said implied that his kernel was out of date!

The source-code was written for v3.0-3.2 of the kernel. The OP is running v4.11 and I'm running 4.9. Both of our kernels are much newer than the kernel version that the downloaded drivers source code was written for. The build problems the OP was having with the drivers were because of changes to the kernel API's. There were several things used in the drivers source-code that were no longer available in the newer kernels.

The chances are that the appropriate drivers are either included in the kernel already, or will otherwise be available in the Arch-repos. To manually build from source, the OP could try to track down one of the git repos for the driver and download a newer version. Obviously the Realtek website was the wrong place to be downloading their driver from. Which seems kinda backwards! If anything that should be the go-to place for the latest drivers. :/

And from reading the rest of the thread - it looks as if the OP was barking up the wrong tree with the Realtek drivers anyway...

atanere likes this.
  11. atanere

atanere Moderator
    Gold Supporter

Oops! Sorry! :confused:

12. i cannot be helped

#32 i cannot be helped, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  13. atanere

atanere Moderator
    Gold Supporter

I'm sorry, but I'm fresh out of ideas at this point. I hope @JasKinasis or @ryanvade will be better help... they are both much more knowledgeable than I. Good luck!

Cheers

14. i cannot be helped

Maybe this might help:

Code:
    $ cat /sys/class/sound/hwC1D0/init_pin_configs
    0x12 0xb7a60130
    0x13 0x40000000
    0x14 0x90170110
    0x16 0x411111f0
    0x17 0x411111f0
    0x18 0x411111f0
    0x19 0x03a11040
    0x1a 0x411111f0
    0x1b 0x411111f0
    0x1d 0x40600001
    0x1e 0x411111f0
    0x21 0x03211020

That being said, I'm thinking of moving to Manjaro.

15. wizardfromoz

Hi all

@ the OP:

I don't think the following is off-topic, as you were on an Arch-variant to start with, and Manjaro is Arch-based, but just be aware (if you are not, already), that if you wish to multi-boot Linux, and by that I do not mean dual with Windows, but boot multiple Linux:

Manjaro has a problem with its Grub, in that it does not want to "share" with other Linux. If you install Manjaro, and then follow that with another Linux or two, it will have a kernel panic and fall over.

This problem even frustrates Manjaro followers, and is widely documented.

That being said, I enjoy Manjaro ... just wish it would learn to share, lol.

Cheers

Wizard

16. i cannot be helped

That's fine; I'm just looking to see if Python2 will work on it given that the 'HDA-Analyzer' tool doesn't work (there's known issues with Python on Arch which no-one seems to want to fix). I'm trying to map the pins and so that I can use the jack retask module to turn on the subwoofer.

17. Linos Chuk

Linos Chuk New Member

You should use "python2" to replace every "python" in the "hda-analyzer.py" file since Arch Linux use "python" to stand for "python3" instead of "python2".
    Also you need to run the command:
    Code:
    sudo python2 /path/hda-analyzer.py
    to execute the python script.

18. wizardfromoz

Now THAT's interesting (the above) :)

I am taking notes, and welcome @Linos Chuk

Wizard