Issue installing Linux

Philiom

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, this is my first posting on this forum, I hope someone can suggest something.
I have a HP Envy 17" Laptop, worked OK for a number of years then after a Win 10 update it created a BSD, I reinstalled Win 10 and it worked for a while but it keeps showing the blue screen, I decided to go for Linux Mint 21, on a dual boot setup and see if it worked OK, I downloaded Linux Mint and a Flash installer and when I got to install Linux via boot setup on USB the screen flashes on and off eventually coming up with 4 "Failed Remarks" , thought it may be the USB so I set it up on DVD, does exactly the same, tried downloading Linux from different worldwide sites, still nothing, I eventually tried to install Ubuntu to see it the problem repeated itself, it did exactly the same as Linux, I have a feeling its the laptop but unsure who go go about it. I reinstalled Win 10 to se if that made a difference but still the same. I would appreciate any input.

Welcome to the forums
I have an HP desktop [about the same age] and have moved from Mint- Cinnamon to mint LMDE5, looks the same but very slightly quicker
Anyway, to install any Linux distribution to a W10 machine first you have to disable the Windows quick-start and safe boot in the UEFI / BIOS then follow my "How Do I " guide [ Link in my signature]

Welcome to the forums
I have an HP desktop [about the same age] and have moved from Mint- Cinnamon to mint LMDE5, looks the same but very slightly quicker
Anyway, to install any Linux distribution to a W10 machine first you have to disable the Windows quick-start and safe boot in the UEFI / BIOS then follow my "How Do I " guide [ Link in my signature]
Thanks for the information Brickwizard, I will see if that works, Phil

Hello @Philiom,
Welcome to the Linux.org Forum. Your in good hands with Brickwizard. He should get you going if it's possible, Enjoy the Journey.

Hold shift while clicking the restart button on windows. That should bring you to a select menu. Select media. Then select your os media.

Hold shift while clicking the restart button on windows. That should bring you to a select menu. Select media. Then select your os media.

With HP I think it's either F9 or ESC?

(To enter the temporary boot menu, where you get to select the boot device.)

That's what I have in my notes:

With BIOS Linux, the SHIFT key (after the POST) will bring up the GRUB menu, if you have said menu hidden.

My notes could be old.

Thanks for the replies, the laptop now keeps going to BSD more regularly, getting different stopcodes, gonna have to sort that first so will find a HP Envy Forum as I don't want to clog the forum up with non Linux issues, I will keep an eye on this forum also in case there are any replies, thanks.

BUT before you do that, a bios re-boot may solve the problem,
disconnect the power adaptor, switch on the machine, when you get your blue screen, PRESS AND HOLD THE POWER BUTTON FOR 60 SECONDS then switch on again

alternatively, if you have a beats button [red with a b and red circle] and a removable battery
Disconnect power supply at laptop remove battery, press and hold both beat button and power button for 20 seconds.
re-install battery and switch on

Last edited:
Had the laptop on today and no Blue Screen!!!! been on for about 3hrs Argggghhhh!
I have had a look at the event viewer and found an error , the number 0x0000001e showed up, looked on Google and it said poor contact, defective or mismatched RAM, I checked the Diagnostic Tool but when it was completed I looked at Event Viewer and the results were not showing, I am running diagnostic again to see if the test shows in event viewer.
I am wondering if moving (which I do all the time) the laptop around is causing bad contacts to give that 0x0000001e ??

Ok, with the information you have now given, I must assume the laptop has not been cleaned or serviced since new, and has probably been used or stored at some time in a humid atmosphere, causing a DRY JOINT on the ram,

so if you haven't removed and replaced the ram, now is the time,
open the ram cover plate and carefully unclip the ram
wipe the contacts gently with a dry lint free 100% cotton or linen cloth, [do not use synthetics, silk, wool, mohair etc]
replace the ram and cover,

now try my installation instructions again.

It could also be heat causing expansion, resulting in poor contacts.

I have had the base off the laptop to clean the dust off the fan intake, not touched the RAM but will give it a go, got the BSD while doing this reply, I checked the Event Viewer straight afterwards and got the 0x0000001e ( Bugcheck) which is the Ram issue, the time coincided with the BSD , will have a go at it Tomorrow. The Event viewer only showed that the diagnostic had started but there were no result so it could be bad contacts on the RAM.