Installing software in Linux Mint

Good Morning @Erik Groothuijzen ,
And welcome to the forum.
One thing I noticed when I switched to Linux from Windows, was this:
the more steeped I was in doing Win stuff, the more I had to unlearn.

Terminology is different, but Linux terms make more sense.
Security is a HUGE issue with Windows, not very much with Linux.
Windows support is not very user friendly, Linux is much better {and free}.
There are many other differences also, too many to mention.

The best part is, that once you learn how Linux works, you never have to re-learn an operating system again. {Going from Win 7 to Win 8 was a very difficult change that did not make sense to me}

Old Geezer
Tango Charlie
89 and still learning!!!!
Dumped Window 8.1 when I first looked at it, went back to 7 and later upgraded to 10. But yes, unlearning Windows is going to be my biggest learning curve. But tenacity and determination will get one there eventually, especially when there is no pressure! The big thing is I like my lap top, and see no necessity to replace it. I am not looking for bigger better or even faster. Just something that will go the distance with me.

right so we know your in SA
first make sure your mint updates id set for SA [either of the following]

South Africa
South Africa
Dimension Data
South Africa
South Africa
University of Free State

debian mirrors are

debian.saix.net /amd64 armel armhf i386 mips mipsel s390x
ftp.is.co.za /debian/amd64 arm64 armel armhf hurd-i386 i386 ia64 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386 mips mips64el mipsel powerpc ppc64el s390 s390x

lol

:oops:

See that @Erik Groothuijzen ?
right so we know your in SA
That is exactly what I have warned you about...

If @Disabled is correct about uTorrent
The hunters will track you down...and don't forget the heat(USB thumb drive)
If your government don't give a damn about any of that well then..
Don't give up! or Never give up!

If you struggle with installing and speed is "the factor" then jump on your nearest mirror, as @Brickwizard suggested.
If learning is not a problem for you and you have time(like you said), then do it.
Your experience with DOS as MS-DOS right:rolleyes: , is to forget...maybe.. and your comparison not new, nor precise, maybe relative, as for the terminal...is the what makes Linux likable.

I have that same problem. Then in a strange environment it is so much more difficult to find!:D
Is the same problem ?
@osprey told you, if not.. case sensitive that is.
The reason for utorrent is to try and duplicate what I have working in Windows 10 seamlessly.
The goal and the want...boils down to a duplicate.
Hmm...
I don't know how hard you worked in Windows 10 but I remember being easy.
Most software is made for or to be installed on windows, right?
So easy or that easy.
Have you asked yourself how easy...was for Bill Gates to build his underground bunker ?

That's likely to be either 2010 or 4.
my bad should have typed 4 years ago. not 14. :(
In any event the windows version is quite new. and it will run under wine. But to be honest I don't see the need to do that as there are may good alternative native Linux torrent clients.

I understand your frustration.
I love deb files and I hated tar.gz all along, today...still.

There is a convertor that will do this job, but the result...well not everything is meant to be installed via deb or will work after conversion. One example I can think off, might be MangoHud(MSI Afterburner in windows).
The convertor is called alien.

On YouTube I found a video where a guy converted this file into deb.
Is a 2014 stable release with md5 and sig, So.. Go ahead and play with Linux !
That is so cool !! I just watched that YT video and downloaded Alien. I can't believe how easy that is. I've always had some trouble with .tar myself. DEB is so much easier !! Thanks for this AWESOME post !!

Good day, The file I downloaded for Linux is a .tar.gz file, and extracting it does not get me to a .deb file.

The best way to install a .gz file is to convert it to a .deb file with alien...

Once it's converted just double click the .deb file and install.
m1212.gif

Installing software in Mint Cinnamon is easy...you have the Software Manager...The Terminal and for people more experienced the Synaptic Package Manager.

Installing software in the Terminal is easy...say I want to install HandBrake...
Code:
sudo apt install handbrake
Enter your password and hit enter...easy.
m1213.gif

Last edited:
Not long ago KG wrote an article on how to Unzip a .gz file with Gunzip...might be worth a look.
m1227.gif

This is what makes it difficult. Too many options and too many variations. There are .tar.
gz, .tar.xz, tar.b2 etc. and all need to treated differently, and then there are many suggestions on how to treat them an not all work. Too many trees, too many woods. Patience.....

G'day Erik, can you just remind me (when you get set up again)
  1. Which version of Linux Mint you are using, is it 21.2 or 21.3? and
  2. What is the exact name of the tar.gz you downloaded
  3. What is the version of utorrent you are using under Windows?
Cheers

Wiz

G'day Erik, can you just remind me (when you get set up again)
  1. Which version of Linux Mint you are using, is it 21.2 or 21.3? and
  2. What is the exact name of the tar.gz you downloaded
  3. What is the version of utorrent you are using under Windows?
Cheers

Wiz
I am running Linux Mint 21.3. The utorrent site gives you four options. I chose the first one for a 64bit operating system. This gives you utserver.tar.gz. The version I ran under Windows was for the Windows 10 64bit operating system and ran seamlessly with IPTorrents.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-03-20 11-07-48.png
    Screenshot from 2024-03-20 11-07-48.png
    136.1 KB · Views: 46
The best way to install a .gz file is to convert it to a .deb file with alien...

Once it's converted just double click the .deb file and install.
m1212.gif

Installing software in Mint Cinnamon is easy...you have the Software Manager...The Terminal and for people more experienced the Synaptic Package Manager.

Installing software in the Terminal is easy...say I want to install HandBrake...
Code:
sudo apt install handbrake
Enter your password and hit enter...easy.
m1213.gif

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-03-20 11-38-56.png
    Screenshot from 2024-03-20 11-38-56.png
    744.9 KB · Views: 52
I am running Linux Mint 21.3. The utorrent site gives you four options. I chose the first one for a 64bit operating system. This gives you utserver.tar.gz. The version I ran under Windows was for the Windows 10 64bit operating system and ran seamlessly with IPTorrents.
I have some more. thunderbird-115.9.0.tar.b2 and

tsetup.4.15.2.tar
Hi again Erik,
One of the problems I believe your having is that he torrent you downloaded is only for Ubuntu server not desktop. It is a command line (terminal) client only and is not installed as such. There are better ways to implement utorrent one be a snap file which can be installed on Mint. But you have to enable snap first.
here is how.

Once that is enable do a search for utorrent with snap.
you can do that in the terminal with this command
Code:
snap find utorrent
and finally install it this way.
Code:
snap install utorrent

It tells me it has been installed, but I cannot find it.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-03-20 12-26-05.png
    Screenshot from 2024-03-20 12-26-05.png
    330.5 KB · Views: 49

Members online

Latest posts