Solved Installing Linux Mint Again

Solved issue

The incredible sense of relief I felt 6 hours ago hasn't worn off yet.
I know that feeling !

Just wait until you have it fully installed !!

perhaps while you are sitting there watching the progree line move....you could make a little list of "to do's" ?

When Install, i usually follow a bit of a pattern....the pattern makes some sense....at least to me it does

1. I will go down the steps in the Welcome screen....first steps is mainly setting desktop colours.....
2. system snapshots....I dont see any need to panic with a snapshot until you have downloaded etc all the available updates etc...it is highly unlikely for the install to go belly up...especially now you have the reliability of the asus.
I get the updates done and then take a snapshot. Where will you save it?......you only need one at this stage and maybe a boot snapshot as well.
There is no need to take a snapshot everytime you install an update......If something calamitous were to happen, snapshot that is a few days old is just fine. The Update Manager will 'sense' that you have moved back to before some update and will make the necessary adjustment all on its own.

Driver Manager....click on launch....it will scan etc and probably tell you that driver for the graphics card is quite ok...or words to that effect.
Update manager....self explanatory....you are already aware of the little shield icon in the system tray
Open Update manager...click on Edit....then on Preferences.
The first screen on mine looks like below. only showing notifications for security and kernel updates ignores other updates....so I have mine like the pic shows.
1710232815931.png

The 2nd page ...Packages....there is nothing for you to do there. (if you ever get a 'bad update' it will stored/taken care of on that page)

3rd page...Automation
1710232943757.png

For the time being leave automatic updates Off. In time you may get bored watching them and decide to automate them. Wait until you get bored, not now.

Updating cinnamon spices automatically is cool.....Update Flatpaks automatically is also cool

Removing obsolete kernels is also good...some people do, some people dont....thye do eventaully take a bit of space......having one older kernel "just in case" is usually good enough insurance.....as well as it leaves the active kernel alone.

Software Manager....My approach is usually this....if I come across an app that I want/need.....I will ALWAYS ;ook on software manager, FIRST. Then I will look in alternativeto.net
If I REALLY need whatever it is....my last port of call will be the apps website. Brave browser is a good example of this. It is available in the software manager, but I prefer the brave website for that.

Do not forget the FIREWALL
Click on launch....passwrod....and then click on the status.....which will turn blue with a small tick

That is all you need for now. i use a slightly different arrangement....more about that later
Once the firewall is on....it's ON. It survives reboots shut downs etc ect etc

That'll keep you out of strife for a while.

NOW....would be the time that I would take a snapshot.
In the schedule.... I know you have spent time with Chris kicking all this around....mine looks like the below......I find this is enough to keep me out of trouble.....you may want a little more...your choice.
1710233835918.png

I also keep an image backup of the entire system......I take one each month
You may move on to keeping the /home partition separate......that is for much later. I truly believe that if the user is reasonably careful, just the few Snapshots and a monthly image is quite enough.
If things really turn to mush for some horrible unknown reason....you simply reinstall !....Easy ! (you wont panic because any pics, music, important docs etc etc etc, you will have stored on a separate drive!!! ))
Dont do a Brian, and mistakenly wipe the external drive and the 'important' stuff with it. In other words if you are using GParted.....look before you leap.

That'll do....I have rambled on probably more than i needed to.

Above all.

HAVE FUN....it's LINUX !!! :):);):cool::p:p

Dont do a Brian, and mistakenly wipe the external drive and the 'important' stuff with it....

#4 did the equivalent of that in Windows. Recovery files are kept in a partition on the HDD. He was looking around and found a bunch of space in the D/ drive. He didn't like that he couldn't use all that space so he deleted it.

Sure enough the day came when he needed those recovery files! OMG! I have so many stories about the dumb stuff he was always doing. He was lucky I was there for all the stuff he did to his computers, keyboards and monitors. Well I couldn't do much about the monitors, but I did manage to save a few keyboards and computers.

first steps is mainly setting desktop colours.....

Funny, that's the last thing I do!
2. system snapshots

I took one as soon I got it installed and another one after everything was updated then upgraded to LM 21.3

Where will you save it?

Um... I don't know? Didn't think about it.

This would be a good place to ask a question actually. The Giant has this thing called "Windows Explorer". If you're looking for something but don't know where it is, you open it and type the file name (root=Linux?) in the search bar. It finds the file and tells you where it is.

I'm sure Linux must have an equivalent of this? Yes?

There is no need to take a snapshot everytime you install an update

Thank God!

......If something calamitous were to happen, snapshot that is a few days old is just fine. The Update Manager will 'sense' that you have moved back to before some update and will make the necessary adjustment all on its own.

Good!
The Giant doesn't have enough brain cells for that. In fact, his method or restoring and recovering almost never works. He usually messes everything up or can't restore anything.

Driver Manager....click on launch....it will scan etc and probably tell you that driver for the graphics card is quite ok...or words to that effect.

Yes, no drivers were needed. However, I did read somewhere that the proprietary drivers for my GPU are better than the generic ones. I'm not concerned about it though. If it's ever a problem it will happen when I finally start using CAD and 3D rendering software again. (Blender)

Preferences.
The first screen on mine looks like below. only showing notifications for security and kernel updates ignores other updates....so I have mine like the pic shows.
View attachment 18780

The 2nd page ...Packages....there is nothing for you to do there. (if you ever get a 'bad update' it will stored/taken care of on that page)

3rd page...Automation
View attachment 18781
For the time being leave automatic updates Off. In time you may get bored watching them and decide to automate them. Wait until you get bored, not now.

I didn't know about these preferences. I don't updates automatically downloaded and applied. I quit doing that when the Giant was pushing out Win 10. The only notification I wanted was to be made aware that there are updates, not "download but I'll install them later". Just tell me there are some. I'll go check it out. If it's actually "update", I'll download and install it. Anything now, even my phone, I check what Google wants to put on my phone. There are a LOT that aren't necessary for ME to have and they give Google permissions I don't want them to have.

Updating cinnamon spices automatically is cool.....Update Flatpaks automatically is also cool

Okay, so I set mine like that.

Removing obsolete kernels is also good...some people do, some people dont....thye do eventaully take a bit of space......having one older kernel "just in case" is usually good enough insurance.....as well as it leaves the active kernel alone.

If you say so, I do so!
I don't know enough about kernels yet.

Software Manager....My approach is usually this....if I come across an app that I want/need.....I will ALWAYS ;ook on software manager, FIRST. Then I will look in alternativeto.net
If I REALLY need whatever it is....my last port of call will be the apps website.

I'm going to need to install my VPN again. My connection is sluggish. I also need to install Zoom. I have meetings on Zoom.

Brave browser is a good example of this. It is available in the software manager, but I prefer the brave website for that.

I have issues with Brave.

Do not forget the FIREWALL
Click on launch....passwrod....and then click on the status.....which will turn blue with a small tick

This was the FIRST THING I DID!

I truly believe that if the user is reasonably careful, just the few Snapshots and a monthly image is quite enough.

This is what I was thinking. Unlike that person who deletes recovery files, I don't do stupid things!

That'll do....I have rambled on probably more than i needed to.

No, I don't think anyone can ramble on nearly like I do. As I think I said earlier, I can have a conversation with literally anyone. I can carry on my side of the conversation AND theirs. The best part of all is that they don't even have to be here with me for it to happen.

Above all.

HAVE FUN....it's LINUX !!! :):);):cool::p:p

1710244614083.png

1c0798ae81e4a654cbfc3e6dafc751b1.jpg

I have issues with Brave.
All browsers have their downside. That includes firefox, chrome and all the rest
i find it consistent. I can live with consistency.
This was the FIRST THING I DID!
Well done !....
I didn't know about these preferences. I don't updates automatically downloaded and applied. I quit doing that when the Giant was pushing out Win 10. The only notification I wanted was to be made aware that there are updates, not "download but I'll install them later". Just tell me there are some. I'll go check it out. If it's actually "update", I'll download and install it. Anything now, even my phone, I check what Google wants to put on my phone. There are a LOT that aren't necessary for ME to have and they give Google permissions I don't want them to have.
Please dont go down the road of trying to second guess the rights/wrongs/good for me/not good for me etc etc etc approach to Updates for Linux. The updates are interconnected in such a way that just one update will have implications for many other system files/apps etc etc on the Linux system.
You will not get anything even remortely resembling some of the 'googleesque' garbage trhat gets downloaded to phones/android/windows etc etc
When you hit the install button earlier, you left that behind.
You can quite safely allow the tension to leave your neck and shoulder muscles, and actually relax.

fwiw....the only attachment i still have with google is a gmail address...as far as I know. And I am working on that....slowly but surely.

Timehsift....you said something up above about not being sure where to save the snapshots?? ""
Where will you save it?

Timeshift can take up a Lot of space.
I forget what drives you may have available to take t'shift and whatever else.
Just remember that whichever drive you use, it must be formatted to EXT4. You can also store movies, tv shows other data on ext4...it is quite forgiving.

All browsers have their downside. That includes firefox, chrome and all the rest
i find it consistent. I can live with consistency.

Recently I started having issues with Firefox as well. It all has to do with DNS leaks. There's a work around in Firefox, but it's more effort than I'm willing to deal with.

I used Brave until I found out that any passwords saved in the browser are stored in "my" Microsoft account. If I want to see them I have visit with the Giant. I don't keep important passwords in my browser and I use authenticator, but still. Maybe things are different with Linux...

My problem with Firefox is that my browser is being controlled by my organization. Firefox overrides DNS over HTTPS when that organization requests it. The organization is usually where you work. In my case it's my ISP. This is the case with Linux too.

After I'm done setting up, I might check Brave again. I remember that you didn't have any whereas I had 10? I want to know what settings you use with Brave. But again, that's for later and a different thread.

Please dont go down the road of trying to second guess the ... Updates for Linux. The updates are interconnected in such a way that just one update will have implications for many other system files/apps etc etc on the Linux system.

I'm not worried about Linux.

The only attachment i still have with google is a gmail address...as far as I know. And I am working on that....slowly but surely.

I've had mine almost 20 years. If I change that it will be sometime in the future.

Timehsift....you said something up above about not being sure where to save the snapshots?? ""

Timeshift can take up a Lot of space.
I forget what drives you may have available to take t'shift and whatever else.
Just remember that whichever drive you use, it must be formatted to EXT4. You can also store movies, tv shows other data on ext4...it is quite forgiving.

I was thinking about using the 250 GB drive. However, people keep saying they take up so much space. I don't understand why right now. There's so much I still don't know so IMO, I'm not qualified to make a sound decision. I'll take the advice of people who are.

I'll probably partition the 2 TB drive.

EXT... I'm going to put as much space as possible between myself and the Giant.

I used Brave until I found out that any passwords saved in the browser
I keep no passwords in a browser...regardless of which browser

I might check Brave again.

I've had mine almost 20 years. If I change that it will be sometime in the future.
One day soon mine will be proton mail....free I just have to be organised to the extent where I dont use gmail for storage !

I was thinking about using the 250 GB drive. However, people keep saying they take up so much space. I don't understand why right now. There's so much I still don't know so IMO, I'm not qualified to make a sound decision. I'll take the advice of people who are.

I'll probably partition the 2 TB drive.
No need to partition the 2tb....unles you need ntfs file system on it for something specifically windows.
My timeshift snapsghots reside on 1TB of a 2 tb drive. The other tb is formatted ntfs for a mix of stuff....most of it 'important'
Where T'shift sits, it has made a folder for itself.....and gets added to and taken away from quite happily every day, automatically.
That 1tb is formatted to ext4. The timeshift folder occupies approx 60gb....that covers 7 snapshots.....I have a few spares at the moment...its usually a bit less. My 'install' of LM21.3 occupies 14% of a 250GB SSD....and it stays fairly consistently around that figure.......so the backup app that I use only need around 14GB to store one backup....(it is compressed.)

The rest of that 1tb with snapshots on has a grand assortment of crap...tv shows, bits and pieces of all sorts of stuff.

if you used the 250gb drive for timeshift, t'shift will establish its own folder, and merrily start to fill the drive up...depending on how may snappies you keep.
I reckon keeping any more than 4....maybe 5 or 6....is probably overkill.......but Chris will likely have good input on that. He has god only knows how many OS's....so his case is different of course....but at the end of the day he will simply keep enough snappies to get himself out of strife if something goes south. I keep 2 0r 3 'extras' with comments....so they dont get culled each day.....and the comments also serve as a reminder of when, why, what, who, etc etc

I'm going to put as much space as possible between myself and the Giant.
giant?....what giant?

No giant here.

Linux ate it.

I keep the original set up plus 3

Morning all, I am just sipping on my second coffee, and making the transition to become human again for a time.

Did I miss anything over my night?

IX0LgkU.gif

Congratulations, Sherri, I am very happy for you.

Wiz

I am not sure that several months back actually achieves anything.

It would have the effect of you then downloading and installing a fairly massive number of updates and anything in the way of apps that you had installed since then would be missing.....so you would end up needing to reinstall that as well.

I am not sure that several months back actually achieves anything.

It would have the effect of you then downloading and installing a fairly massive number of updates and anything in the way of apps that you had installed since then would be missing.....so you would end up needing to reinstall that as well.

One more thing I don't have comprehensive knowledge of and choose to defer to those who are qualified.

Linux is about having Choices

It is not about having rules....do this, dont do that etc etc

If you think there is a benefit for you, by having a snapshot or two dating back several months or to the last upgrade.....then that is a choice you make for yourself.

All you have to do to make a snapshot "stay" ....is to make a comment beside it

Linux is about having Choices

It is not about having rules....do this, dont do that etc etc

If you think there is a benefit for you, by having a snapshot or two dating back several months or to the last upgrade.....then that is a choice you make for yourself.

All you have to do to make a snapshot "stay" ....is to make a comment beside it

When I was a kid I experimented with cooking. I didn't know enough about cooking yet to start experimenting. I dipped canned biscuits in water and powered diet shake mix. Then I baked it.

And then there was that time I tried to make vanilla wafer cookies.

OMG! There's a skunk outside. He sprayed. I think I'll have to close my windows. One night I went to close the door and there were to on my front porch.

Anyway...

I made those cookies. I shared them with all the kids in the neighborhood. They couldn't eat them because they were really hard. They started throwing them at each other. Someone threw it at a window. We didn't think they were hard enough to break it.

I don't cook much these days but I know a lot more. One of my specialties is home-made New York style cheese cake. No grahm crackers! Pastry crust.

I think I'm done with this install now. I cleaned up my desk area today, tightened up the bolts on my monitor mount. The air filter next to my tower was FILTHY. I know it helps a lot because the tower was pretty clean when I opened it up the other day.

The Giant doesn't have anything else to hold over my head, nothing to hold me hostage to lure me back. Now comes the time to put the Giant in the grave. I'm ready now to erase everything and install Linux on the 2 TB drive.

I really want some peanut butter cookies. I think I'll get some tomorrow.

• 1 cup KRAFT Smooth Peanut Butter

• ½ cup white sugar

• 1 large egg

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
  2. Mix together peanut butter, sugar, and egg in a large bowl until well blended.
  3. Roll dough into 24 balls; place 4 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten each ball with the back of a fork.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven until lightly browned, about 20 minutes; do not overbake. Cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Thats from my collection of recipes

Staff online