Solved issue

Sherri is a Cat

Reaction score
Credits
The ASUS surgery was successful.

I've booted into Linux Live!

@Condobloke
@ wizardfromoz

I'm doing a couple of things different this time. 1st of all, I disconnected the 2 TB HDD with Windows on it. I don't trust the Giant. He may have figured out some way to interfere with what I'm trying to do.

I connected my other HDD (I thought it was 500 GB, it's actually 250 GB). I started to put Windows 7 on it a long time ago but never finished. I previously wiped it and formatted it for Windows, NTFS.

In the secure boot settings in UEFI I change the setting to "Other OS". When I restarted my PC it immediately went to the USB drive. I didn't have change the boot order.

Now I'm using "Disks" to erase the drive and using EXT4 to format it. After that I'm going install LM. I'm going to wait a day or two before installing it to the 2 TB drive. I want to look at all files again before wiping that drive.

I am SO RELIEVED to have my ASUS up and running again!

@wizardfromoz

Would you be able to help me run some diagnostics on my MOBO?
Something happened to the integrated graphics. Right now I not ready to exonerate the Giant. But I would like to know what happened and if there is anything else I need to know about.
Thank you wise one!

IMG_20240312_015312577_HDR.jpg

@Brickwizard

Would you mind taking a look at my previous post in this thread? I'm going to install LM on my ASUS. This time I'm doing couple of different things.
:)

Now I'm using "Disks" to erase the drive and using EXT4 to format it. After that I'm going install LM. I'm going to wait a day or two before installing it to the 2 TB drive. I want to look at all files again before wiping that drive.
Unnecessary, if you select use whole drive when installing Mint it will completely wipe windows and all associated files and folders, whilst checking and formatting that drive

Unnecessary, if you select use whole drive when installing Mint it will completely wipe windows and all associated files and folders, whilst checking and formatting that drive
Oh man! I just beginning to feel super smart again!

I disconnected the 2 TB HDD with Windows on it. I don't trust the Giant. He may have figured out some way to interfere with what I'm trying to do.
This also you do not have to do, just make sure when you install linux you choose the second HDD to install to, Linux will install the grub partition to this drive, Unless you change the boot order the grub will always load linux first

I agree with what "t'other Brian" @Brickwizard has said above. :)

Just had to spam clean a dentist from India who was trying to advertise his clinic in your Thread.

Back with more, if Painless The Dentist does not re-appear.

Sherri, is it 21.2 or 21.3 you are planning to install?

Also, you should try to install it with the standard install rather than the previous OEM.

Sherri, is it 21.2 or 21.3 you are planning to install?

Also, you should try to install it with the standard install rather than the previous OEM.

I planned to install it from the desk top. That's what you said I should do last time.

Way too late for you to be trying a full install (sound like your father), you should do it tomorrow

That's OK, just more updates to run = a greater risk of an incompatibility somewhere.

I dunno, go with your gut, but I have about 30 minutes before I sign off to start cooking tea.

Way too late for you to be trying a full install (sound like your father), you should do it tomorrow

Nope. We're on Spring Break right now. No work for a week. I'm sick of typing on an Android. I'm still doing so now while that drive is being erased. It's almost done. I figured I'd let it finish.

I've been too depressed with not having a computer and stressing about my ASUS. The incredible sense of relief I felt 6 hours ago hasn't worn off yet. I've been feeling left out here.

I'm not waiting one more second than is absolutely necessary!

Since you're still here, do I need to mount this hardrive before installing LM?

You're asking the wrong person about hardware.

Reboot and try it?

Since you're still here, do I need to mount this hardrive before installing LM?
Should not have to. Provided the drive is connected and OK, the installer should find it.

I mounted it. When I started the install, I was informed it was mounted. Since I was asked if I wanted "installation " to try unmount it, I stopped and unmounted. Then started over

Since I was asked if I wanted "installation " to try unmount it, I stopped and unmounted.

You can just ignore that popup, I should have said.

Nite.

Good luck and hope you don't need it.

Chris